WoW or WAR?

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

which game?

WAR
67%
WoW
33%

Total votes: 51

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

WoW or WAR?

Post by Kinslayer »

PLEASE READ QUESTION BEFORE VOTING

I have never played any of these games, the only warcraft game i have played is the age old warcraft: orcs & humans. I will probably get a MMORPG at christmas or around the time for my birthday but had the choice between WoW and WAR. Now while i love warhammer on the tabletop, for some reason the online game hasnt actually appealed to me very much. The trailer is cool but the game itself looks 'average'. WoW on the other hand, i have heard nothing but good things about! With the new expansion out it seems i should join the other 11,000,000 or whatever it is players already online!

My question to you is which should i buy? not which is your favorite, but which should I buy?

edit: also i have another question, which race should i use and can someone go into detail about them to help me chose? I know i want to be one of the bad guys, i am thinking of being the undead from the new exapnsion.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I played both.

And after reaching so called "end-game" in WoW, there's nothing left to do there, unless you enjoy repeating the same thing over and over in slightly different scenery (raids).
And enjoy having all your accomplishments totally erased by new patches (not even expansions, patches)

WAR on the other hand consists of huge player vs player battles, unpredictable every time, even though the locations might be the same, you never know what your enemy will come up with this time. On top of that the game has much better graphics and stronger class balance.

So in the end it's what appeals to you:
PvE, which is taking challenges against monster AI in hermetic and controlled environment (once you beat a boss it will be easier with every attempt... until you run out of bosses and Blizzard has to release more of the same)

or PvP, where you end up fighting epic battles for your capitol city, standing on the walls of your fortress and fighting off marauding hordes of the enemy for hours on end, every time different, every time exciting.

As for race - obviously Dark Elf ;)
in WoW, well, they have no bad guys except as you mentioned undead and/or burning legion.
Problem is, to play a death knight you first need to reach level 80 on one of your other characters and then perform long and arduous quest chain (and believe me Blizzard knows how to make long and pointless quest chains that take weeks if not months to complete (like getting all the stupid keys to Karazhan >.<)) to unlock the "hero" Death Knight class.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I see your point, i have looked for some screenshots of both and the graphics in WoW are not so great as the trailer :) I like the idea of being chaos in WAR but then you have to be Tzeentch which i dont like. I am thinking of being an empire witch hunter, i like the hat.

Does anyone know the price per month of the two games?

WAR is tempting me more now.
mods: if this turns into a discussion on WAR please move it to that forum, i put it in off topic as it was more about WoW to begin.
Tich
Highborn

Post by Tich »

I have WoW and I agree that it gets very repittive later in the game. Also I find the grapics to be a bit cartoonish. I personally am going to get WAR as soon as I am able.
"I have this magic sword, it kills people when you stick it in them"
Fr0
Trademaster

Re: WoW or WAR?

Post by Fr0 »

Don't do it! You'll waste soooo much time!

Seriously, they're such a time sink it's not even funny. If you're good at managing your time (ie. casual player) then ignore what I said above.

I played both, WoW being my first mmo; WAR came out and I had been wanting to play WARHAMMER for so long! It's fantastic, but if others aren't on that you know, or if you don't have a very active guild it's very boring. I'm done all mmo games now, gave them up for TF2 and real Warhammer. I'm glad I made the switch. ;)

If you like the Warcraft lore, you may enjoy playing WoW but most of it is sullied on a RP server. Some cool graphics and stuff, but it depends what you want out of a game.

WAR is pretty intense when it comes to lore. You can spend a long time just reading your tome of knowledge when you kill new monsters, and uncover new areas. Plus living in a dark elves shoes is just cool. I loved the sieges and world RvR (player vs player).

They're both 15$/month.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

I am totally against both as I studied it in school and found some pretty sick stuff about it, like people losing jobs, family, marriages and worse because of it. And some kid in China comitted suicide because he thought he would go to heaven, which would be WOW reality or some crap.

So my answer is, Gears of War 2 :D
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Ah yeah, WAR is really made for large number of people...

but hey, so is WoW. The difference is subtle though.

WAR: anyone is invited, numbers aren't limited, all you lose for having more people around you is lesser chance for loot (as there's bigger competition for it) but you gain everything else.

WoW: end game is limited to groups of up to 25 "elite" players, members of "elite" guild, handpicked by "elite" guild leader. And loot is given only to the most "elite" of players.

So in WAR you just need to go out there and kill stuff, once word gets out more people will come to a fight.

in WoW you need to work (yes, proper work) to be accepted to a good raiding guild (unless you can deal with the sucky ones but that means you won't see much of the game). Ahh, that brings me back to the time when I levelled a warlock 1-60 (pre-TBC) in under a week to join a raiding guild... because they didn't want my level 60 mage... they had all mage slots filled.
7th edition army book:

Herb
Trainee Warrior

Post by Herb »

If you like PvP, then WAR
If you prefer PvE, then LotRO.
If you enjoy hardcore raiding minimum four days/ week, then WoW
Loyal Servant of King Malekith.
Follower of Khaine.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

I'm going to say WAR, as although I was sceptical at first playing it, as soon as you get into some awesome pvp keep raids it is far FAR greater than WoW.

Another advantage of WAR that has been mentioned somewhat is that you can play somewhat more casually as there isnt some "skill" level that you must achieve in the area of having no life to be accepted by people who have equally no lives.

Enough of the WoW end game bashing, WoW was fun but WAR for me was far greater in game experiance later on.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

WoW is fun while you go trough new lands and discover new places as you level up.

But that's what single player games do much better

MMORPGs are about long-lasting entertainment.

If you have a lot of time on your hands to play (say 4+ hours/day) you will "beat" WoW within a month.
If it's not counted in years then it's not a good MMORPG.
7th edition army book:

Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

I have played both, but the only MMO that I can play for a long time, thanks to variety and without any "kids" running around screwing you over when you're out doing your thing, the game I'm speaking of is Guild Wars.
You don't have to worry about some no-lifers who just screw with people, which happens in all games eventually.
How they avoided this? Well, once you leave a town, you're on your own or with the party oyu left with. Easy as that.

So I won't vote, because I think its a waste of cash if you want to do your thing without harassment.
Also, Guild Wars comes without monthly fee, so they don't rob you of your cash. You pay for the game, and then you can play it. The concept of pay2play is robbery, and should be illegal.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Guild Wars is not an MMORPG.
It's not even near Massively Multiplayer

The whole point of MMORPGs is to be able to play with hundreds of people at the same time. Guild Wars allow for a single party... what?
yeah, just like Diablo used to in ages past.
7th edition army book:

Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

so what you are saying is that there are no way to meet people while playing Guild Wars?
Have you ever actually played it? Doesn't look like so.
When you're in a town you meet people. Massive amount of Multiple people everywhere, thats right Massive Multiple. Played Online, where you take the Role of a character to Play the Game.
Hence MMORPG. It fits every category, they simply added a feature so that you don't have to bump into idiots everytime you want to do something, be it quests or whatever. You're out there doing your thing - end. If you succeed or fail is based on Your performance, not of another random dude screwing you over which happens 24/7 in any game that does not have this feature of towns/wilderness.

If you are to say that Guild Wars is not a MMORPG, you do clearly not understand the Concept of MMO's
It is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact. Guild Wars is also in on every MMO chart out there.

*EDIT*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_wars
Genre(s) CORPG, MMORPG

Convinced yet?

All mighty Wiki wrote:The games in the Guild Wars series were critically well received and won many editor's choice awards, as well as awards such as best value, best massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), and best game. Guild Wars was noted for being one of the few commercially developed games in the MMORPG genre to offer online play without subscription fees, its instanced approach to MMORPG play, and the quality of the graphics and play for computers with low specifications.
//Kheel

Katash
Executioner
Location: On a ship in a little glass bottle trying to figure out how I got here

Post by Katash »

If you succeed or fail is based on Your performance, not of another random dude screwing you over which happens 24/7 in any game that does not have this feature of towns/wilderness.

This happened to me on my friends wow account, there was some guy who kept killing the npc that I needed to kill over and over again so that I wouldn't get a chance to kill him myself, I'd get Guild Wars myself but my connection is so [Insert any negative discriptive word that isn't allowed in this Forum]
Thus will it come to pass.
The dying leader will know
the truth of the opera house.
The missing three will give you the five
who have come from the home of the 13th.
You are the harbinger of death, kara thrace.
You will lead them all to their end.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

i have played guild wars for two years and i have to say that, although it has incredible grapics, it get's boring after some time (although the massive amount of new dungeons -read: about 10- make it ver enjoiable to play even when you beated the game and got all kind of titles).
WoW: I.M.H.O. a waste of money (I'll also mention that I'm still a school and have to pay for it myself wich, combined with warhammer might be a bid too much)
WAR: didn't play it yet and probably will not for a long time (at least until i get a job and finished school).
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Kheel wrote:so what you are saying is that there are no way to meet people while playing Guild Wars?
Have you ever actually played it? Doesn't look like so.
When you're in a town you meet people. Massive amount of Multiple people everywhere, thats right Massive Multiple. Played Online, where you take the Role of a character to Play the Game.

Yes, you can meet people, *only in towns* hence - graphical chat channel. You could meet massive amounts of people in diablo chat channels and group up for a game. Difference? one has graphics, one doesn't.

Kheel wrote:Hence MMORPG. It fits every category, they simply added a feature so that you don't have to bump into idiots everytime you want to do something, be it quests or whatever. You're out there doing your thing - end. If you succeed or fail is based on Your performance, not of another random dude screwing you over which happens 24/7 in any game that does not have this feature of towns/wilderness.

The feature that makes games multiplayer... you know, interacting with other people whether they are nice or not, just like real life. Someone playing on your favourite football field already? you kick them out, join in, or find another one.

Kheel wrote:If you are to say that Guild Wars is not a MMORPG, you do clearly not understand the Concept of MMO's
It is not a matter of opinion, it is a fact. Guild Wars is also in on every MMO chart out there.

MMORPG != MOG
Guild Wars is MOG, Multiplayer Online Game.
It has nothing to do with Roleplaying (the game itself doesn't support it), and it's far from massive, unless you can show me a screenshot with over a hundred people on screen (outside town!)

Sadly, since UO none of the MMOs can really aspire to the title of MMORPG, but they are put in the same pool for *simplicity*. Unless you'd like to have hundreds of charts with 1 game on each.
RPG is *not* levelling up your character and getting him/her new gear. If you think it is then you have never played any RPG properly.

All mighty Wiki wrote:The games in the Guild Wars series were critically well received and won many editor's choice awards, as well as awards such as best value, best massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), and best game. Guild Wars was noted for being one of the few commercially developed games in the MMORPG genre to offer online play without subscription fees, its instanced approach to MMORPG play, and the quality of the graphics and play for computers with low specifications.

Great, allmighty wiki, stuff written by just anyone, and quite often is written on purpose to mislead. Ever heard that story about a teacher writing false articles on wiki because he knew his students were copying it for homework assignments?
Guild Wars is put in the MMO box because there isn't a box for it, unless you want to make a new one just for that one game (yeah, and Diablo), and that's not how market works.
7th edition army book:

Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Dalamar wrote:Great, allmighty wiki, stuff written by just anyone, and quite often is written on purpose to mislead. Ever heard that story about a teacher writing false articles on wiki because he knew his students were copying it for homework assignments?
Guild Wars is put in the MMO box because there isn't a box for it, unless you want to make a new one just for that one game (yeah, and Diablo), and that's not how market works.

While I won't join in on your Guild Wars discussion(though I agree with you Dalamar), I will say that you are wrong here. Wiki is actually the best compiled information source out there. Far more trusty that encyclopedias, since it is constantly updated, and the "anyone can write bogus"-problem has been solved years back. Claims are 99,9 % of all times supported by citing sources, and rethink your own argument: Anyone can write anything. If one man comes in and screws it up with false information, tehre will be 20 others reading it, and ready to correct it. Vandals(those that repeatedly write false information) is IP-banned from wiki. Sorry man, but that's just not the way to counterargue his argument.
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Dalamar wrote: text

Wow...
Guild Wars, a channel in Diablo with grafix? What are you on about?
Grafix is basically what makes it a game, isn't it? You can run around, do your thing, emotes or whatever.
The towns are PART of the GAME.
So, I can show you a picture of hundreds of people interacting together, be it in or outside. Doesn't matter since its all in the same game.

Diablo is a MORPG - And the chat rooms of Diablo is nothing like the towns in Guild Wars, you can not sell stuff to any NPCs, you can not buy anything, and you can not interact with any other player which you can in guild wars towns.

Example of a MOGs are Star Craft and Warcraft 1-3 - They have online features, but are not based on these.
An even better example of a MOG is Red Alert 3. You can play through the entire game with a friend, or a random dude from the chat room.

What was that about Guild Wars not being an actual RPG? You get to make your own character, style it and all that, give it a name, play through the story - you don't HAVE to do it, you can just play the PvP part, but that doesn't make it even less of a RPG. It is not only dressup, and Guild Wars has never been about leveling up, the level cap is 20, and you reach 20 in a matter of minutes. I'm starting to feel like you haven't actually ever played Guild Wars.

I dont know where you got these weird ideas, but try the game and you'll change opinion. Just readon reviews or whatever you can do, except playing the game can't give a realistic opinion of the game. That way one's passing someone elses opinion around.
So, have you actually played the game? If so, there shouldn't be any need for me to show you a picture of hundreds of people interacting together

Move away from your Cauldron Dalamar, you are being stubborn ;)
//Kheel

Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Can't help but notice that GW isn't one of the voting choices, boys.. :roll:

Fulgrim there are free trials for both games, but if your video card can't support one then we know you'll be playing the other.
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Yeah, but the testosteron is taking over our minds.

Dalamar and I shall continue this conversation over PM's if it is to be continued at all.

It was my fault that Guild Wars was brought up in this thred.

Fulgrim, sorry I was being stupid. Enough
//Kheel

Kopykakashi
Slave on the Altar

Post by Kopykakashi »

take wow it will keep you buzzy for a while, money well spend if you ask me!
Greystone
Warrior

Post by Greystone »

Wow is the better game, hands down. Both in the realm of pvp and pve. having played both (with high hopes for mythic to deliver a superior game) thats just the plain truth. With a nearly five year and multi-million dollar head start, there can be little denying it. I won't go into a super detailed list of why I say this as I don't want to invite a plethora of Nuh-Uh responses.

If you are new to mmo and want the most out of the experience buy wow.

That said war is a great game, it suffers mainly by its age, and I have no doubt it will grow into an awesome game in its own right, wow is aging. given time to iron out the class balance issues, general annoyance bugs, and thicken the content, it has a very bright future indeed. Being a player of GW games will enhance your enjoyment of war as well, seeing the locals of the old world play out in real time and surprising detail was all that kept me going at times in war.

If you want to mainly participate in pvp, love the old world setting and plan to play only casually, go for war, it has a lot to offer as well.
No point mentioning those bats, I thought. The poor bastard will see them soon enough.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Greystone is making a point here, after playing Wrath of the Lich King, I have to change my opinion on the WAR vs WOW atm.

WAR has far greater concept but atm, like mentioned above, the years of headstart allowed Wrath to roll WAR atm.

I will return to wage war in the old world in about a years time when the majority of glitches are ironed out and everyone is comfortable with the new way of life that is an incredibly fun MMORPG.

Starting WAR right at the start allowed for the bugs to wear on my patience over time. Many bugs that only affect low teir PC's.

Got a wicked PC? Roll WAR... Don't? then Roll WoW...
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I would only add. *do not* start your MMO adventure with WoW

if WoW will be your first MMO you will be forever included with the wowkids and wowtards groups, even if you don't neccessarily fit them.

They simply make up 90% of wow community (if you can call it that) and did do MMOs (probably forever) what consoles did to PC games - dumbed them down a LOT
7th edition army book: