Does your character's gender have to match your real one?

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Casual malevolence
Dark Rider

Does your character's gender have to match your real one?

Post by Casual malevolence »

Cause I got chewed up and down by this dude on an RvR server today. I finally got around to starting the game, and after reading everything about all the classes, the Witch Elf is what suited my play style the most.

So anyways I make this Witch Elf character and participate in some public quests, and this dude starts chatting me up, like we're at a bar or something. I tell him I'm a guy, and he goes nuts, talking about how he hates transexual wannabes who go and create female characters for their online personas, yada yada yada. I mean, is there some rule of ettiquette that I'm missing here, or didn't know about?
I'm afraid my mask of sanity is about to slip.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

No that guy is just a prat, ignore him, if he is trying to pick up chicks seriously on a MMORPG then he went to the wrong place.

That or he was just taking the piss, it is hard to tell online from typing.

Third option is he is a 12 year old trying to be cool and got scared when he realised that he chatted up a guy and tried to over compensate with the immature rant.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

Unfortunately you had the bad luck of running into a crazy person online.

99.9% of people don't care. It's a roleplaying game, and I'll be willing to wager that the number of female characters in online games far outnumber the number of actual females PLAYING said games.

So enjoy your Witch Elf character and don't worry about a thing. You just ran into someone with issues.
- Human
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

MMORPGs are full of G.I.R.Ls

He should get used to it instead of acting up. Just ignore him.

G.I.R.L. - Guy In Real Life
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

Just so you know ;)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Casual malevolence
Dark Rider

Post by Casual malevolence »

Well, that's good to know. I've never played an MMORPG before, I much prefer RTS's (RA3 is pretty good, if anybody was sitting on the fence about it), so I didn't know if it was some kind of unspoken rule that I was breaking.

G.I.R.L. - Guy In Real Life
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

That's pretty awesome, I'll throw that out there if I ever run into that guy again.
I'm afraid my mask of sanity is about to slip.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

MMO's are the truest form of internet. Full of profanity they harken back to the days when Men were Men, Women were also Men and Children were undercover FBI agents.....

Seriously, it happens all the time and with a game where Class automatically assigns gender you aren't going to be able to pick the ideal combination. Don't worry about it.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Nathyyr
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nathyyr »

I've been playing MMORPG's since Everquest, so I've seen it all, and honestly, your in the clear. The kid was caught trying to hit on you, and got embarrassed so he lashed out. It's his issue, not yours. And honestly, with a game that restricts gender so greatly, what was expected by him(though I fully believe Witch Elf males could exist - we could just call them "Assassins")?

No, you weren't in the wrong. The kid was just embarrassed. Personally I would dropped into RP mode and tried to witch elf him onto a sacrificial alter, but I'm weird.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

hehe, exactly. Witch Elves are the worst flirting material. If anything he would do better hitting on a sorceress.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Nathyyr
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Nathyyr »

Dalamar wrote:hehe, exactly. Witch Elves are the worst flirting material. If anything he would do better hitting on a sorceress.

Yeah, because they aren't known to randomly sacrifice allies. I mean, they don't even have a magic item devoted to doing just that! ;-)
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Does your character's gender have to match your real one

Post by Sulla »

Casual Malevolence wrote:
So anyways I make this Witch Elf character and participate in some public quests, and this dude starts chatting me up, like we're at a bar or something. I tell him I'm a guy, and he goes nuts, talking about how he hates transexual wannabes who go and create female characters for their online personas, yada yada yada. I mean, is there some rule of ettiquette that I'm missing here, or didn't know about?

Heh... did he want you to somehow play a male witch elf? How does it work when it comes to troll slayers or orcs? Aren't girls allowed to play those classes?

What a twit. Did he even realise that ... even if you were a girl, you most likely wouldn't look like an elf anyway. :roll:
Indrollin
Slave on the Altar

Post by Indrollin »

As if you had a choice with the Witch Elf anyway! If anyone starts to accuse you of being a transexual or having gender issues it might be worth mentioning that out of the two of you in the conversation you weren't the one trying to chat up a guy. :lol:

Everyone knows it's usually the guys playing the witch elves, they enjoy the view more .
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

Some people just take it too seriously, it is a game, not a platform where we go to reinvent ourselves. In this case he was clearly embaressed and tried to turn his stupidity on you.
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Vranek bloodmourne
Slave on the Altar

Post by Vranek bloodmourne »

Im guessing Im not the only person whose retard detector just went off as soon as we read that a guy was trying to pick up a girl in an mmo. "We are dealing with someone that has....absolutely no life at all"
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Sounds to me like this guy has had some bad experiences with transsexual wannabes in the past, and hopefully for him it remained in an mmo...
Tacklbry
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tacklbry »

Several of my friends play Witches here as they like the game play. One also always plays females in warcraft because he figures that since you spend the game watching your character, it might as well be something hot to look at, and not some over-muscled dude in spikes. :D
I like dwarfs, their skin makes fine boots. :twisted: