Video Game Hardware

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Belial
Modest Member

Video Game Hardware

Post by Belial »

With the old WAR forum widened to encompass all our video gaming need, I would like to open the festivities with this question:

What do you play your video games on?

I have a capable computer, and in the past, it served all my gaming needs. A year ago, however, I gave in and purchased a PS3. It has since become my best friend.
A year of immature spending later, my PS3 now share the space under my tv with an X360 and a Wii. The wii mostly gathers dust, though.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I have a fairly beefy PC, although I use it infrequently - the next game I'll be playing on it will be Dragon Age: Origins, which should arrive this weekend.

(Postal strike not withstanding)

Other than that I have a Wii, which I use according to my mood. This week I got hold of Metroid Prime Trilogy, which is turning out to be pretty good.

I find the Wii to be good since I'm not really a hardcore console gamer, and the crazy motion based games are more my thing. Plus, it has Mario Kart...which is in part why I bought it in the first place :D.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

European release for Dragon Age is next friday Rork... I do hope it's worldwide otherwise I'll have to hate all americans <.<
And yes, I pre ordered CE of that :P

I only play games on PC. Consoles are silly.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Even better then :lol:.

Console design peaked with the N64...everything bar the Wii since has too many buttons to deal with.

PCs are definitely superior, but it's nice to have a console for a bit of casual time wasting. In my case my everyday machine (my laptop) is different to my gaming PC...so I'm lazy and the Wii has a remote to turn it on :P.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Xbox 360. I'm a console gamer all the way.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

The only reason I bought a PS2 was for the GTA games. If and when I ever get a PS3 the only reason will be because it's a bluray player. I game on my PC far more than consoles.

My PC needs an upgrade, I think. Empire Total War won't run with more than about half a dozen units in total.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Linkinhearts666
Dark Rider

Post by Linkinhearts666 »

Im a PS2 fan. I'm a hardcore Kingdom Hearts fan ;). Plus Final Fantasy and all those sorts are just my thing. Im prolly gunna buy a PS3 when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out. Yay for excessive spending for such meandering things!
Ayxxia the Shade is hiding in the shadows and waiting to attack...

Best way to get rid of a treeman is wait until the owner has it on the table in front of him and then kick him very hard in the groin from behind. When he doubles up and smacks his face intoit, he should wreck the treeman and it will teach the little bastard not to run a treeman at 750

Its the Druchii way of gaming!
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

PC all the way for me. In australia we've got a beautiful little company called MSY that provides outstanding customer service and sells computer parts exactly at factory price, so I got myself a computer with 11.6 GHz (I know, can't use it all at once but eventually software will progress far enough), one of the best graphics cards available and lotsa extra tidbits.

The only thing I play, though, are RTS games (supreme commander, C&C and the total war series), they are the only kind of game I don't get bored off eventually (I tried RPG but it just don't work...).

My PC needs an upgrade, I think. Empire Total War won't run with more than about half a dozen units in total.

The computer to run Empire: total war on highest graphics with 10 000 men on the battlefield is yet to be made, methinks ;)

Btw - anyone playing the total war series (I've got all games), are you interested in an online battle or two? I've recently made a steam account (had to, for ETW) so I figured I might as well see what online battles are like.

On a side note - I think that ETW is one of the best, perhaps the best RTS game out there. With the patch it really is something. I don't get all the people that moan and moan and are never happy with it :?

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

There's a Napoleon Total War coming out next year according to the TW website. I'm guessing my PC won't be able to run that either...

I'm not much into PvP gaming. I can barely win against the AI on the dumbest settings, let alone an actual human opponent... (I also lose at Warhammer a lot...)
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I might just be interested in an online Total War battle, Anderson. But I'll start up a new topic for that.

I have a laptop that's now two and a half years old, and it's beginning to show. I might narrowly run Modern Warfare 2, but Empire Total War was quite a let-down on this system... Incredibly long computer turns on the campaign map, and the graphics actually managed to be worse than those of Medieval 2... an odd video card issue of sorts, I guess. So I'm waiting for next summer + sufficient funds to buy a decent desktop gaming rig, so I can leave my laptop purely for work-related affairs and the odd traveling.

No consoles here. I'm an FPS and strategy games player foremost, and especially the latter is impossible on consoles. Plus, I don't own a television.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I've played quite a few RTS games, mainly those with a more modern/sci-fi angle (C&C before they got boring, TA, SupCom, StarCraft). The likes of total war never really interested me.

At times I've forced myself to get something different, because I've found I can play too many RTS games :lol:. GTA, Half Life 2 and Mass Effect (Now there's an immensely replayable game) have been my PC shooters/RPGs of choice.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

PS3 for me, I bought it because at the time it was $100 more than a blu-ray player, and includes one, so for the extra $100 I add the dynamic of having something interactive. I however don't play it much, too busy painting models, I have around 5 games, all encompassing different genres to keep me entertained depending how I feel.

I used to be a WOW player but then realized I'd rather have a hobby with some substance, Enter Warhammer FB. My PC used to be on steroids, its still pretty powerful but as I'm no longer into the MMORPG scene, it has a layer of dust.

COD - shooter, great online play
Fallout 3 - RPG 3rd person shooter, extremely entertaining game, especially when different in game actions alter the story line
NHL 09 - I'm a hockey fan, "Here come the Hawks", NHL10 is on the way
Dynasty Warriors 3 - Always fun to have a good button mashing arcade style game
MLB08 or 09 - I forget which but when it's not hockey season it's baseball season, and when it's not baseball it's hockey, they overlap perfectly
Sahwn White Snowboarding - Was my hobby for a while, just haven't been able to go in a while but it is still satisfying on the virtual slopes
Buzz Time TV - Extremely fun party game, no one loves to talk trash more about trivia when they are drunk, so we have a way to settle it
Last edited by Thenick18 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

PC gaming all the way, although my PC needs a serious update. I mainly use my laptop now, which isn't for gaming, to the point where I have unplugged by PC and moved it into the spare room. The last game I played was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

I got a decent graphics card 2 years ago for it, but I need to update the CPU desperately. The current one won't even run Assassins Creed. If I ever get around to doing that, I'll be buying Dawn of War 2 and the new expansion :D
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I would rather be interested in an online match of Warhammer Mark of Chaos *coughs*
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Perhaps we should have a PSN/Livetag/Steam acc. thread, so people can set up matches?
Jaycee
Assassin

Post by Jaycee »

I have a Wii, but the lack of quality games for it means I don't use it very much except as a GameCube. I bought Eternal Darkness a few months, which is quite entertaining.

It is quite sad rearly when I look at the number of great GameCube games and then compare them to the great Wii games, the latter of which can be counted on one hand :S

My PC is rougly 7-8 years old now so when I play games on it, I still play the old classics like StarCraft, Warcraft II/III and Diablo.
I just recently discovered the little gem that is Peggle which is just adorable :D
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Oh, Eternal Darkness. Maybe I should get that for my Wii too. But I'll to invest in a GC controller as well then... Is it as good as everyone says? I love Survival Horror.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

My PC is currently a pile of junk which switches itself off n an endless restart cycle less than a second after it boots. I enjoyed playing CS back in the day as well as CoD4 and above all DOTA. Anyone else a DOTA fan? I used to play it to a competitive level at one point... my last hitting skills will be rubbish now but before they were immense...
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

DOTA fan here, unfortunately can't play it on the uni servers so waiting for the end of year holidays before I get started in that area again.

Mostly a console gamer myself, will be buying a PS3 for FFXIII when it is released next year, soon as I saw the E3 trailer for that I was drooling!
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.