Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Post by Gnosis »

So I'm getting my hopes up when seeingthis...

Only to find out aboutthis.

Gnosis is not pleased. Removing dedicated servers means massive lag and no community building.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Luckily, I'm getting it for the ps3(and maybe the X360 too, since a friend of mine promised to buy me the game as thanks for sheltering him for 2 months), and I played the first one on ps3 as well, so I won't feel the difference. But boy, would I wish they ahd dedicated servers on the console.

Gnosis, you're in for one hell of a frustrating experience, with 30 % of all games ending prematurely(some befire they even get started) because the host is a knob and leaves.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Belial wrote:because the host is a knob and leaves.

This is why I hate online gaming with consoles...
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

O joy. More lag..... and shortgames...... fail.
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

It would seem those of you that intend to play in on the 360, will be loosing partychat function while doing so. Now you'll be forced to communicate by other means, or listen to the extremely intellectual chatter going on in-game...
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

I have it now :D And one day ahead of release^^

EDIT: Currently on 4. mission. IW has delivered. 2. mission is really brutal, in a provocative and excessive way. I won't spoil it, but...
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Is 2. mission the one where you have to give your permission before you play it because it contains material that may disturb? (If so then that was one of the best moments in video games, just because of the emotional involvement you get for the story afterwards)

Zardock (Group 27)

Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

...maybe. We're talking... airports, right? And yes, that was strong. But really, about the later half of the game, when you are in trenches... Oh god, that was some great shiz there. And everything happening after that... 'Contingency', and the short scene after that. IW knows how to display and convey stuff, other than just shooty, shoot shoot.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Just a quick heads up: people posting spoilers will be banned on sight until Gnosis gets a hold of the game. Thank you for your cooperation.
Count them:

Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

^^
Of course. That's why I'm so careful writing in a "you know what I mean" fashion.

EDIT: Just completed the game.
Holy-testicle-tuesday! This is one of the ebst gaming experiences I've ever had. And we're just talking Single Player. Oh, it's better than the first. It's way better. Get it Gnosis, get it NOW!
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Belial I do believe we are talking airports ;) .

Zardock (Group 27)

Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I am picking this up sometime in the next two days. And as an Admin, I full endorse Damnation's warning.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Ok so I have to wait 2-3 days before me and Belial can start dropping the hazy eyed 'games are art conveying messages' posts.

I will admit IW has done a great job and I'll leave it at that.

Zardock (Group 27)

T'keela
Noble

Post by T'keela »

I haven't got the game yet...though I was (un)fortunate enough to get the distinct honour of going with my mate when he went to purchase it. I swear you'd think it was christmas time. While we were in there another guy walked into pick up his copy.

On the way home my mate turned to me and said, "Harley...Don't call me for about 4 days dude." And drove off. Brad is pretty radd. Anyway chatting to him on msn about 4 hours later, "Oi B-rad! How come you're not on COD?"
"Oh mannn it is sooo goood. But I am playing pretty bad at the moment so I am taking a break. Plus I think my eyes are bleeding."

=] All in all sounds pretty good to me.
T'Keela Darkspine
Group 30
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D4 I4
Equip: Sword, Light Armour, blackpowder pistol, 4 bullets, 2GP.
Skills:
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Inviting friends to parties or provate games doesn't work on the PS3 currently. We're a bunch of pretty dissapointed guys...
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I just beat the game. Took me about 5 hours to do. All I have to say at the moment is awesome.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Anyone duking it out online? Personally, I'm completely sold on two weapons - the intervention and the Tar-21.

I use the Tar with a silencer and hearbeatsensor, thus taking of course Bling. Secondary is Stopping Power, and for the third perk I use Ninja. Secondary weapons is either .44 akimbo FMJ pistols, or a Javelin launcher - it depends on the map, so I have two custom classes decked out with these setups.

The Intervention is equipped with a thermal sight, and secondary is .44 with FMJ. Perks are Sleight of hands, Stopping Power and Steady Aim.

The last two class slots is filled with an UMP class that I enver use(I did in the beginning, but the TAR is almost as good as an SMG in close quarters, and can still function at long ranges. Plus, it has better options for equipment.
I also have one with the M21. Only tried it for a single round of TDM so far, but it seems awesome. While I have always preferred the M40A3 in MW1, and the Intervention in MW2, the M21 might just win me over, and be the base of a stealthsniperclass. It has almost no recoil, which makes having to hit a second time much more likely.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

It was that short? Are you guys having any issues with cheating so far or is it limited to PC only? I haven't heard any console gamers complain about it yet.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

No problems with cheating so far. Playing on PS3.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

I played online some, but really didn't like it. There was no matchmaking, so I ended put in a group where everyone was level 20 or higher, it didn't make for a very fun few matches. Also, I seem to have trouble finding people, I take a few steps forward and am just shot, seems like the winning team always was doing some camping. I'll just stick to Spec Ops and private parties.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

If you need some pointers, I'll be happy to give some. I think the game is somewhat fairly balanced, in that you're not too screwed against higher levels in terms of equipment.
What game mode did you play?
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Go ahead and drop spoilers, I don't think I will be getting it until I get a new pc, sometime next year.
Count them:

Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Well, I'll put spoilers in black text... Then it's each to his own.
Frankly, the game is one mindblowing experience. Take the wildest action movie you've ever seen, and multiply it by twenty. So damn much happens in this game...
-spoilers-
I mean, you climb a mountain to infiltrate a russian airbase, you flee on a snowmobile, you engage in room to room combat in the white house, you help a guy hijack a submarine and fire a nuke at america(it seems), and you are doing external work on the International Space Station, when said nuke hits you. You stalk the streets of DC after the effects of an EMP takes out all the hightech gadgets in your gear, including sights and all, you launch a covert attack on an oilrig from a submarine, you raid the Gulag, and is extracted with the building litterally exploding around you. You slaughter innicent civilians, and you get shot and burned alive, and you stage a two man assault on an american secret millitary base. And after a long motorboat chase, that ends when you shoot down a helicopter and fall over a waterfall, YOU GET STABBED IN THE friggin CHEST, PULL THE KNIFE OUT AND THROW IT IN THE BAD GUYS EYE.

There are multiple ploterrors/holes in the story, but it's all such a ride that who gives a damn?
Jaycee
Assassin

Post by Jaycee »

Is it worth getting if you don't care for its multiplayer?
A 5 hour campaign sounds pretty weak in my opinion especially since they decided to yank up the price.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

Yes it is.