WAR chaos image stolen by band

Discuss console and computer games here, including GW Universe computer games.

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

WAR chaos image stolen by band

Post by Kefka »

An American "Grindcore Metal" band Brutal Truth has released a CD which has clearly ripped off one of the images from WAR online. A link comparing the two images:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2039/terrible1.jpg

Now, the Eight pointed star is not copyright (it is an old Buddhist symbol I do believe, correct me if I am wrong) but the Tzeentch Eye is certainly GW material, and in the bottom corner, you can see the WAR image silhouetted. Wether it is GW or EA Mythic, this band has done a terrible job at trying to rip-off this image. They have been selling CDs and shirts as well as other merchandise with this image.
I am no legal expert, but I do believe Either EA orGW needs to have a talk with these people.

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Akimoto
Noble

Post by Akimoto »

that is a pretty horrid edit... I mean honestly, I could probably do better than that... and I'm pathetic with photoshop...
Yori Temel -- group 22

WS5 / S4 / T5 / D4 / I4

Equipment - Repeater crossbow, double-bladed spear, Light Armour, Heavy armour, helm, spiky vambraces, (stored: Zukhil sword, Shield)
Skills - Awareness, basic heal
Other: 1831gc, The Dragons Eye Amulet, Talisman of light, Healing Talisman, 15x healing balms, boots, gloves, woolen cloak, hatchet, backpack, rope, a Flint and Tinder, bedroll.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

We can't do anything here :P
But you could send an email to GW with the picture ;)

Mythic isn't owner of those, everything they came up is owned by GW.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

I did send an e-mail, as well as a few other people I know. So it is in their hands now...

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Good job harassing a pretty decent band, guys... They'll probably get dropped from their label, at which point they'll likely split up.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

That'll teach 'em for being lazy. Lern 2 shoop.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

In what way do you mean, a decent band?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

They are quite good considering they're playing grindcore which is not my favourite genre at all. Who knows, they might have been ripped off by some lazy art making person (how do you call em these days) and don't know anything at all about the connection. In any case, a simple cover swap will probably do the trick.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Gnosis wrote:Good job harassing a pretty decent band, guys... They'll probably get dropped from their label, at which point they'll likely split up.

I didn't see any harassing, just plain statement of fact. The cover is (badly) photoshopped image from Warhammer Online (complete with the WAR icon in the bottom left corner!). If they didn't do the art themselves, and GW gives them trouble, they can sue the artist. I heard americans love lawsuits.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

This to me seems somewhat like a jerk move. If GW doesn't notice when their IP is being stolen, why stick your nose into it?

I agree with Gnosis on this, the best you have accomplished is getting a band kicked from their label and losing their livelihood in the process.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

It is a remarkably sloppy case of copyright infringement. They deserve what they get.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Yes they would deserve it, if GW noticed themselves, however this is a case of someone going out of their way to get someone in trouble.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Grimma
Executioner

Post by Grimma »

If you see someone stealing from your neighbour's house do you say "ah well, if the police catch them so be it but I won't get stick my nose into it"? Same principle here. Copyright infringement is theft and if people value what has been stolen I don't condemn them for blowing the whistle.
UNSEEN LERKER MAGAZINE - It'll make you happier than a Corsair in a Bretonnian orphanage.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Gnosis wrote:Good job harassing a pretty decent band, guys... They'll probably get dropped from their label, at which point they'll likely split up.

The music is up for question, I personally can't stand to listen to them without getting a headache, and I enjoy most metal and heavy music. But others seem to enjoy them, so I am not bashing on their musical talent.
However, the fact remains that they stole an image that they barely covered up. as Grimma said, even though I don't have anything to do with it, they still did something illegal. Good Samaritan act. It's in GW's hands.
Also, the band has broken up before, ten years ago.

Vesidel
Dark Rider

Post by Vesidel »

I love when people go on about GWs IP, because they stole everything they have from other authors, history, and myths. It's amazing that they were ever allowed to copywrite anything except the "unique" conglomeration of everything they borrowed which we know as their various universes.

That being said, I don't think GW needs the help of any squealers to help them protect their so called intelectual property.
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Either way, the whistle has already been blown. No sense complaining about something that has already happened and can't be changed. In any case I agree wholeheartedly with those who blew said whistle; theft is theft whichever way you look at it, and regardless of who GW may or may not have "stolen" from they are the current owners of the copyrights/trademarks/patents/souls/etc. for those materials according to law.

As for the "destroying their livelihoods" bit, they probably should have thought of that before they stole the material! :roll:
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

And with that, I'd like to ask everyone not to go on further about what is right or wrong. We don't want this to descend into a flamewar.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

Belial should start sharing the Sweet Lemonade, Yeah Sweet Lemonade.

Anyhow~ The problem isn't about Games Workshop's IP or whatever, its that this band went ahead to copy an image which an artist created first, paid by EA or Games Workshop and for that artist, its a good idea to warn EA &/or Games Workshop about this copyright infringement.

Artists should not need to copy others work so blatantly as this.

edit: also just noticed its a month old topic, this subforum needs more action.
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

SilverHeimdall wrote:edit: also just noticed its a month old topic, this subforum needs more action.

It does very much indeed. So get posting at once, private!