Hi back from 6th

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Airwalker
Slave (off the Altar)

Hi back from 6th

Post by Airwalker »

Hi all I'm back and happy to wage war again with my DE. I played fantasy about 10 years ago in 6th edition with DE and recently a good friend got into WH for the first time and started building a VC army so I decided to blow the dust off my DE and get back at it.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Hi back from 6th

Post by Saintofm »

Welcolm back.

Things to know: Mass horde of spearmen and corsairs do well (corsairs with the sea serpent standard really well).

2 or 3 groups of 10 crossbows, or 16-24 crossbows with sheilds and a full comand will do well.

Mass of Executioners or non at all.

10 or more knights.

Look up "Peg Lord," which is a tooled up Lord of Hero on a Pegasus and made for combat.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Airwalker
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Airwalker »

Cool thx a lot. Ya I played a starter game trying to learn the rules and got spanked pretty bad by the VC so I figured I better start looking up tactics and tips for the 8th
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Playing VC?

Take a level 4 Death mage and pray for Purple Sun
Truly These are the End Times ...
Airwalker
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Airwalker »

Ya am I just being a newb or are the VC kinda stacked against DE?
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Airwalker wrote:Ya am I just being a newb or are the VC kinda stacked against DE?

Yeah, you're just being a newb.

Dark Elves have lots of answers for VC. Start a post in the tactics forum for advice on specific things that you are having problems with.
Truly These are the End Times ...
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Welcome to the site. DE's have changed a little bit from 6th, I left the hobby in 6 & have since found my way back recently as well(11 month ago)... things are very different & 8th in general is a lot of fun. Also looks like we're next in line for a new book, so keep your eye's open for that.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Airwalker wrote:Ya am I just being a newb or are the VC kinda stacked against DE?
Not really. They are a challenge, but not unbeatable. They do heal up very quickly though so kill something dead, don't just damage it and move on.

Biggest changes are to DE since 6th though. You can no longer rely on bait and flee tactics; your guys don't flee very far and their guys don't have to worry about the distance they wheel; they measure the closest point on your guys and just have to roll that much... so you get caught regularly enough that this is no longer a reliable strategy.

Best thing aboutElves now vs then is that everything actually works in your list (some better than others, but you'll discover those quickly enough) so you can build far more lists with far more variety than the previous book. Nice to have infantry that actually functions compared to 6th ed.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Vampires main strength from what I can gather from other posts (haven't fought them anytime soon, read some fo the rules) is largly in the fact they can keep raising up more dead or restore their numbers, especially if they have a bunch of wizards spamming the signature spell. The fact that vampiric wizards are made for close combat doesn't help.

However, kill the general you effectively kill the army.

Lore of death can also help in the fact that while you will want a focus familiar and boosted spells for the most part, you can snipe enemy wizards. SO a sorceress on a Dark Pegasus with plenty of protection, or a sorceress within a horde of spearmen should help.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Saintofm wrote:
However, kill the general you effectively kill the army.
Kill the vampire general and the army crumbles once but they get a chance at the start of each of their turns to make another eligble character into the general. Crumble is really no biggie for VC these days. The bonus is that you remove the best cc character off the board. Red fury lords slice through elves like a hot knife through... elves.