Hello!

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Hello!

Post by Torakeen »

Hello All:

New to the board and back from a hiatus of about 10 years from WFB. In the past I mostly played High Elves, Skaven and Empire. However, I was sucked into the world of online gaming for a number of years and my miniature gaming fell to nothing. I have finally kicked the habit and look forward to getting back into the modeling, painting and gaming aspect of WFB. I want to do something different than before so I am building up the Druchii!

I have watched probably about 100 youtube battle reports from Malorian, OnceBitten, TheSustainableCenter and many many others. They have really fueled my desire to get back into the game and fast!

I don't see dark elves played too much from what I can garner, but being out of the gaming tournament scene, I am speaking from a very skewed perspective. I am also in somewhat of a conundrum as I want to start collecting and painting the army immediately but hear that we are getting a "army book" in late October/November with a possible release of new figures to supplement the release. So, I'm trying to determine whether to wait or just take the plunge anyway and just add to the army once the new figures are released! Thoughts?

Personally, I am a systems analyst 54 years of age and have been playing various historical, fantasy and sci-fi games for almost 36 years now. I look forward to learning "a ton" from this site as I start to build up my army!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Hello!

Post by Saintofm »

Welcolm.

Supposidly We
ll be getting an update to the army some time in the next 6 or seven months (it's either us or dwarves this year) but here are the skinny.

If you don't plan on many games in GW stores or torunaments Reaper, Game Zone, and Privateer Press have some excellent minies for you to choose from. There are others and a few threads on the subject, but this is the case.

As for the army: Spearmen and do well in large numbers. I would prefer either five ranks of 7 or 4 ranks of 10 with shields and command. I can run them as large as 60 generally take up all or most of the core requirement I need.

Corsairs are horde or nothing with both their hand weapons, and a sea serpent standard.

Corssbowmen need to come in one of 2 flavors: At lest 2-3 units of 10 or 1 or 2 units of 15-24 (give or take). This is to capitalizre on causing panic.

Knights need ten, although GW stores will tell you then need more (I'm going to experiment with 15 as they are almost 30 points a knight)

Chariots need to feileded one of 3 wayes to be effective: With several of them to capitalize on impact hits; teamed up with a hydra (i had lots of fun with this one) or teamed up with another unit. That said they can hold their own in a fight (Mine got charged by Daemonette Cavalry with harold and eneded up keeping them stuck in the same position for the entire game, and they are equal to lione Chariots who I also ended up keeping tied up with).

Hydras same thing, although as is they can do massive damage (it has earned it's dollar amount against tooled up sourus warriors, and is tied in kills wihen it fights tooled up dwarf lords) That said one flaming cannon ball and they are some noble woman's leather purse.

Lhokire Fell Heart is the only named charecter worth taking. He is made fore taking on horde armies, the bane of all elf armies.

Malekeith tooled up on dragon is worth taking, but only in a storm of magic game as he is dangerous to enemy wizzards. Otherwise just about any other named ubber lord is just as expensive/a hundred or so poiunts cheaper/ a couple hundred points more pricy and can punt him.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Rickie_82
Executioner

Post by Rickie_82 »

I would start painting up stuff that you are sure will not get new models first. Read the 3 plastic kits that are avalible. But the spearmen are pretty old and crappy, especially when gamezone has a cheaper and better looking alternativ for them. And they have mentioned that they will make their RXB men in resin to.
Personally dont like the new plastic Corsairs, and you dont know wich options will be viable in the new book, so if you get some leave the arms off for now.
That leaves Cold One Knights, pretty straightforward there.

Sprinkle with some charecters, rember there are some really nice ones in other ranges. Should keep you bussy till book comes out.
Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Post by Torakeen »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I do plan on attending a number of tournaments, so I am a little hesitant on purchasing non-GW figures. That being said, those raging heroes "blood vestals" are incredible for the WE's and may purchase them for the fun of painting up.

From GW, I am considering the black dragon with hero for the sheer beauty of the model, the female foot sorceress *2 (I love those models as well), and probably just the battalion box in order to have something to start gearing up. I am reading everything in the forum to see what might be recast versus what will remain (best guesses of course!) and stick with purchasing those.

Once again, thanks for the welcome and look forward to many discussions in the future.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

The Battalion is going to be good as ithas most of the things that you'll need.

Chariots will probably get a change. If I had to guess they'll do what they did for Chaos and have a normal variant and one made for Malekeith's Black Chariot, complete with components to either make him or a Lord on Foot.

Oh, for dark riders: Get a box of Glade Riders from the wood elf army, and have spare bits from Corsairs and Warriors fill in the rest.
Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Post by Torakeen »

Thanks for the idea on the dark riders Saintofm. I will look into the Glade Rider kits for conversions. I also read about some Pegasus conversions that really sound like some fun modeling. I am really excited about working on this army, as I like the idea of the conversions and making something unique
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Love to see it. Mine peggi is a brettonian one with a greenstuff horn, so it
ll be great if someone does a better job.