Hi!

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Darktalon
Warrior

Hi!

Post by Darktalon »

Hi all, I'm Darktalon, I'm about to get a load of Dark Elves from a friend and I thought it would be best to get acquainted with the most malicious race in warhammer, so I came here :)

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good general summary of Dark Elves, like what I should go for, look out for, how to use etc.
Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Re: Hi!

Post by Torakeen »

Hello and welcome!

Having just joined myself, there is a ton of helpful info about the dark elves on this board and many contributors who are quite knowledgeable.

I have included some posts that have helped me in my "larval" stage.

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71395

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72489

This is by no means exhaustive...just a place to start. You will find that you end up reading into the early morning hours absorbing the content in some of these forums. I know I have!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Welcome Darktalon to D.net indeed. :)
Torakeen took little time to try to pay back what he had received!

Be aware that a new DE army book is expected next month, which will make obsolete a large part of the current D.R.A.I.C.H. But a new one will certainly replace it soon.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Darktalon
Warrior

Post by Darktalon »

Ok, thanks for the warm welcome :D

I'm about to get the following, I was thinking of using all the harpies as a screen for the hydra, black guard and cold one knights with some Shades scouting ahead.

50 Spearmen
36 Repeater Crossbowmen
20 Harpies
15 Shades
10 Cold One Knights
10 Corsairs
1 Hydra
3 Reaper Bolt Throwers
5 Dark Riders
24 Black Guard
3 Sorceresses
3 Assassins
Several Lords/Nobles, Mounted and on Foot BSB.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Darktalon wrote:Ok, thanks for the warm welcome :D

I'm about to get the following, I was thinking of using all the harpies as a screen for the hydra, black guard and cold one knights with some Shades scouting ahead.

50 Spearmen
36 Repeater Crossbowmen
20 Harpies
15 Shades
10 Cold One Knights
10 Corsairs
1 Hydra
3 Reaper Bolt Throwers
5 Dark Riders
24 Black Guard
3 Sorceresses
3 Assassins
Several Lords/Nobles, Mounted and on Foot BSB.

Welcolm aboard this lovly cruse of ours. Refreshments will be served on in the lounge, and onto the buisness here.

Spearmen are perfect. Give them sheilds, full comand, and have a nice day.

I run mine between 40 and 60; have seen lists on here that go smaller. Mine is so it has both attacks, steadfast, adn plenty of fresh bodies for the Sacrificial daggere weilding sorceress.

Black Guard would wait until the next edition to use in battle as they still have the 20 elf cap on them.

Dark Riders are ok. If you want more, do what most of us do and take a unit of glade riders fromt he Wood Elf army and mix adn match bits from warriors or corsairs.

Knights are great. You might get told to feild more by the stores, but I run about 10, so it should be olk. Keep a Battle Standard Bearer with the hydra banner and you'll be fine.

Shades are also good. You can either keep em like that or split them into 2 units. A unit of 7 or 8 with 2 hand weapons and a assassin Rending Stars and manbane make perfect warmachine killers.

Reapers are also good. As is right now its take all you can or none at all unfortunatly, but 3 should work nicley.

Sorceressess are great. Are they mounted or on foot?

Items that work well with them are: talimon of Preservation, Focus Familiar, Dark Star Cloak, Sacrificial Dagger, Tomb of Furrion, Channeling Staff, adn that 70 point book that has +1 to cast and dispel.

Assassins, I've had great success with the above mentioned build; still working out the bugs of the few of the others, but I do like having one with Killing Blow, the ward save (every time I don't take it he dies, it's a curse for that mini) Cry of war with 2 hand weapons.

Don't take the venom sword, it's useless on these guys.

So what are your lords and BSB mounted on, or which one is on foot?

For harpies, love them to death. You can do two or three good sized units of them.

The skirmisher screen idea is a good one, except I don't think it will work on the hydra. He has "Large Target" meaning everyone can pretty much see him.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

50 Spearmen => 1 large unit of 35-50, FC. Preferably shields at 35, no shields at 50. Sac dagger fuel, long-lived steadfast.
36 Repeater Crossbowmen => either 3 x 12, muso; or 20-25, FC, shields, makes a nice auxiliary melee unit; or 36 with guiding eye sorc.
20 Harpies => flocks of 5. The more, the better control over opponent's movement.
15 Shades => 8 & 7, AHW, with star/manbane 'sass.
10 Cold One Knights => either 2 x 5 "vanilla", muso, or 10, FC.
10 Corsairs => 10 RHB corsairs, muso are fun to play, but not as competitive as anything above.
1 Hydra => 1 x 1, vanilla...
3 Reaper Bolt Throwers => will soon become better in next edition.
5 Dark Riders => 5 DR, muso make excellent warmachine hunters; with RXB, they make excellent lone model hunters (characters, last survivor who denies VP).
24 Black Guard => 20, FC is the easiest unit to play with; 5 of them, champ, make a great speed bumper. Suggest 19+5 if you want all of them on the field.
3 Sorceresses => 2 of them are best, but you could spam Lvl1's fireballs or miasmas. Or Lvl3+2+1 on Death can use PoD and Death's sig to get more PD.
3 Assassins => best is star/manbane with shades; use 2, but be sure that your opponent sees 3 models when you unpack your army.
Several Lords/Nobles, Mounted and on Foot BSB => best BSB is COB, that you have not; second best is pegasus unkillable; third best is CO with 10 COK.

Compliments for a very comprehensive, non-khainite army.
If you had to add some models - and remain non-khainite -, I'd recommend 1-2 pegasus sorc/BSB, 10-15 more corsairs to make a unit worth the SSS banner, and 1 more RBT (for future army book).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Darktalon
Warrior

Post by Darktalon »

Thanks for all the help :D

From what I know only one BSB is mounted on a cold one, all the lord models are on foot
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Welcome to the site. Looking forward to seeing the evolution of your new army.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Battle Standard Bearer is simple enough: Green stuff a cloack and give him the Hydra Banner.

As for weapons, I give mine A Halberd, which in mine case came from an old Phenix Guard mini.

What equipment are you thinking for the BSB or the lords?
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Darktalon
Warrior

Post by Darktalon »

I don't know yet, I won't have the models or army book until saturday. :(

Is a non khainite army good or something, I'm not familiar with the differences, I read books like Malus Darkblade but I don't know how this translates into the army in the game.
Darktalon
Warrior

Post by Darktalon »

Got the models today! You can add to my previous list a Lord on Dragon, a sorceress on pegasus, a mounted sorceress and I think a mounted noble, both on cold ones.