greetings everyone!

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Melle
Executioner

greetings everyone!

Post by Melle »

greetings everyone!

ive been lurking here from time to time, for a year or so, finally got my thumbs out and joined.

some might know me from the VC forum.

i reside in sweden and play dark elves and VC, with a few other armies slowly building.

got back into the hobby 2 years ago, after a 10 year break.
bought 2 painted armies(first DE, then VC) to get into playing asap, and are slowly adding to these.
DE army is waiting for new book, of course, so im easy on them for now, will be plenty converting if hw and shield option on warriors turns out true.

became father 10 months ago, meaning the hobby suffers greatly, but thats ok:D

I will most likely hang around in plog and army areas here.
see you around.
salute
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain."

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
widowson
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: greetings everyone!

Post by widowson »

My name is Widowson, I also am a new recruit to your group. I am awaiting the new version of the Dark Elves rumoured to be appearing in October, I have been playing/painting proper Elves for almost 20 years. Also interested in ancient Greece, War of the Roses, 30 years War and the War of the three kingdoms. I hate space marines and ***** Elves, and any other army that is designed to uber- powerful, i.e any army that is not DE. I used to work for GW in one of their stores in Scotland, that is where I fostered my hatred for anything non DE.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Welcome, Melle, and welcome, widowson the threadjacker to D.net! ;)
Melle, some ~ ten years more to go and you'll have a nice partner home!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Welcome to the site Melle, it's good to have you. Gratz again on your wee one, hopefully you can sneak a bit of time to yourself for a game or two.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
widowson
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by widowson »

Thank you for your kind welcome, do I now have a new name? :)
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

thanks guys!
@callison : I actuallt bought him a dwarf army already;)

@xfallenx: thanks, glad to be here. i have about 3 more weeks of work, then i go part time parental leave, strangely its close to same date as new dark elf book release is rumoured....(October 7)
cant imagine how that happened:D

@widowson : honest misstake, im sure, and no worries.
pleased to meet you:)

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
widowson
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by widowson »

My apologies Melle, I am very new to this sort of thing. Me and technology do not get on. :)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ widowson
you seem to have hit the "reply" button while reading Melle's intro, instead of "new thread" when viewing the whole "Introduction" forum.
:lol:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Post by Torakeen »

@ Melle : Welcome Melle. I'm a Father of 3, all beautiful daughters. This hobby is a great distraction as you can paint and model in the home and still be a part of everything that happens. Never understood those that use the excuse of children to get away from the hobby. It's a hobby that keeps you in the house (painting of course), unless you have to travel great distances for tournaments.

Congratulations on the baby. You will love being a parent!

@Widowson : Welcome Widowson. Um..well...Um...proper elves...stiff upper lip and all that then! Just yanking your chain. If you have been painting for 20 years then I expect you are at least 24 since I painted my parent's garage with a fine coat of dining room red up to my height of 3 feet at that time. Umm...well, I still can't sit after that bit of Picasso, but that is beside the point. Welcome to the boards!
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

about leaving the hobby due to parentship,

not all are able to paint with half concentration, myself included, needing 150% concentration just to keep brush somewhat steady.

there is also the matter of partners demanding space and time; that i think are a bigger factor of leaving jobby than prenthood itself.

then all kids are different in the level of supervision they need, but having 3 daughters, im sure you know this better than anyone. cheerefull times when they all be teenagers ;)
( have a friend with 3 daughters, and this he dreads the most. thinking on building 4 bathrooms)

ive tried painting 2 times, but both ended in a ruined brush, due to casper falling from something, or dissasembled something or the other.
the later happening alot....

painting will come, in due time, as he grows.
but leaving hobby? heck no. no way, not me, no sir!

main struggle is gametime. not much of a game store or club anywhere near, and friends live 30 km off, so getting a game of is half a day at least.
this is were the missus have issues ;)

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Post by Torakeen »

LOL. You are right on so many levels.

I am fortunate, with a loving wife that is patient, and gives me space and time. I also give her the same! Everyone needs their quiet time.

Regarding babies...you are correct. They demand ALOT of time. That being said, I have two in college, and one in high school. I find this hobby helps me fill the time where I miss their presence. I am so use to noise and masses of people in the house, but not so much anymore. I am so fortunate though for what I have. We are a close knit family. I wouldn't give up a weekend when my daughters are home from a weekend from college for a tournament. However, it's a point where their lives are theirs and time is more available for me now and I enjoy the hobby. I have always had painting and modeling in quiet times...even with three daughters. Perhaps, in retrospect, I didn't game so much, but there are other aspects of the hobby than simply playing an opponent.

I do wish you the best on your newborn.
Melle
Executioner

Post by Melle »

dude... you got time in abundance! !!!

and thanks again. this is the best time in my life, and close to new DE book release i will have 5 months parentsl leave

i recognize alot in your state, but from my parents point of view
me beeing eldest among 4 kids, youngest is now 25 and just moved out, to my parents grief, and relief :D

family gatherings are cherished, not to mention my brother plays warhammer too, so atleast there are some discussion on this or that.

painting, modelling and gaming may suffer, but my mind constantly makes conversions and armies that i want to dig into when time is.
my empire for instance, now has not only 2 but 3 routes i could take for their theme. all equal apealing to me.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]