New York Druchii

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

MangoPunch
Noble

New York Druchii

Post by MangoPunch »

Hello fellow Druchii,

My name is Jasper, I am 27, I live in Manhattan, have a wonderful wife, and two dogs named Oakley and Merlyn. About a month ago I decided I wanted to get back into WFB, after not playing since I was 14 or 15 (when my ill led skaven regularly got crushed in 'Hero Hammer'). I chose dark elves because I wanted a race that could be played in multiple styles and could hold its own if used skillfully, without being over powered. I think I made a good choice.

I am really excited about getting back into the hobby: I built a table last weekend, my wife is going to help me paint, and a friend of mine took the plunge too and bought a bunch of cowardly high elves which I expect to face regularly.

Anyway, I am loving the site so far. And if anyone knows any good gaming groups in NYC please let me know.

-JGB
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: New York Druchii

Post by Calisson »

Welcome MangoPunch to D.net!
Good time to start a new army of DE.
Strong rumours say a new army book is on the horizon early Octobre, with plenty of awesome new models.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Howdy from the Land of Fruits and Nuts on the other side of the country.

As Dark elves are currently played:

Spearmen: The general concensus is either a bunch of guys to be sacrificed at 25 with no shields, or a horde of 40 with shields and a full command. I have had plenty of fun with 40 tooled up spearmen, and I can go as high as 60.

Corsairs: 30, with Fullcomand and Sea Serpent Standard. Do not bother with handbows, yet. There is a good chance we will be getting an update in October (it's either Us or Dwarves for the rumor mill, and we're the strongest contender so far). Until then go with the tried and true two hand weapons and have a nice day.

Crossbows: The general consensus is either A.) 2 units of about 10, or B.) 1 big unit of about 16-24. I like at least 20, although can go as high as 26 currently. This is mostly to ensure you cause at least one panic attack for the enemy units.

Harpies: As much as we love to hate the current ones, but a unit of 6-10 can take on most warmachines.

Dark Riders: Until the update, mix and match dark elf warrior/corsair bits with that of Glade Guard.. Also about 6-10.

Knights: 10+ with full comand. The store might tell you to go more, so I'll experiment with 15. Currently Standard of Hag Greif (always Strikes First) is great with them, however I will be experimenting with the Ranger's banner so they can get strider.

Executioners: Take alot. 25 normal ranks or 30 or more horde formation. Death Hag Battle Standard Bearer (BSB) with Standard of Hag Greif is also good with them, but with no armor is rather fragile.

Chariots: Team them up with other chariots so you get multiple impact hits, or have them supporting another unit such as hydras, knights, or spearmen for the same reason. Currently we lack on so kit bash away.

Hydras: Same deal (save we have one). On their own they can do pretty good. Mine has taken out dwarven gunners and crossbowmen, sourus skinks and a tooled up sourus warrior unit, and is at one loss/one kill with a tooled up dwarf lord. Still prefer to team him up with someone, such as Knights or chariot.

Black Guard: never used them myself, but as is they have a 20 man cap so I'd wait until it's lifted like most other units that had it in the past.

Reapers are great in numbers, so at least 3 or more. I have killed a hydra with only 2 single shots, but the general consensus is take a few more.

Couldron of Blood: Almost a requirment for most armies. If not for the fact it makes Executioners and Witch Elves stuborn, it's effects can greatly help either with extra killing power( +1 attack and killing blow) or a little extra protection (5+ ward save).

Shades: I have 2 sets: 11 metals and 16 I kit bashed largly using glade guard and warriors (I combined the 2 kits). Currently, 2 I like 2 hand weapons and light armor, although 2 hand weapons deffinitly. They make exelent warmachine hunters, espesialy with a Assassin with manbane and rending stars.
Assassins: It's a mix bag. The most popular build is one I like to call "The Sabotour." I like to call it that as its a build of: 2 hand Weapons, Manbane, Rending Stars, and for me, Cry of war. Cry of war is there because I like it, the rest is mostly for extra killing potential before you charge a war machine. And thats it: he's really good at killing war machine crews, and shooty units.

Other buiilds I have tried is Killing Blow+Cry of war+2 hand weapons+Dance of Doom (every time I don't take it with this particular mini, he dies) or: 2 handweapons+Rune of Khaine+Black Lotus+Killing Blow. My Second build is usually a corsair one for up close and personal work, the second is usually for crossbowmen.

How an assassin can hide in a unit of Witchelves and no one notice:

Sorceresses: No one seems to like using them on dragons on this website for some off reason (namely the 300 point of dragon should go on a tooled up Dreadlord). That said, it's usually a good idea to bring at least one.

Lore of Death and Shadows on a lord choice is usually pretty fun, as is Dark Magic. Combine either lore of Dark Magic or Lore of Death with Focus Familiar and you'll have plenty of wiggle room for the spells. Have her on Dark Pegasus and watch the magic happen (I did not intent for that to be a pun, my bad). Lore of Metal usually works if A.) high armored foes as the damaging spells turn enemy armor into a deathtrap, or B.) the Augments and having +1 to hit armor piercing attacks and a +2 scaly skin is never bad to have! Lore of Fire is one of the easiest casting lores if not the easiest.

Other fun things to include with a Sorceress: Channeling Staff, book of Ausher (or whatever the most expensive comon arcane item that gives an additional +1 to cast and dispell), Dark Star Cloak, And Sacrifical dagger for casting; Talsimon of Preservation and dispel scroll for defense are fun to have around.

Battle Standard Bearers: Hydra banner+Halberd+Heavy Armor+Coldone+Sea Dragon Cloak. And yes this is a master, already mentioned the death hag already.

Dreaglord: Might as well use one of these guys. I have plenty of fun with one that is either mounted on a cold one or on foot with the following combo: Ogre Blade, Armor of Eternal Servitude, The Other Trickster Shard (mostly for facing Daemon, Brettonia, and High Elf Players) and the Dragon Bane Pendent.

Dragons and Pegasi are also very fun to use with a tooled up one as they can be really destructive to units that traditional do not do well in close combat like war machiens and shooting units, but combine it with attacks from other units, and you have a killing machine.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Post by Torakeen »

Hey Jasper! I have been to NY for a number of business trips to Manhatten. My company has recently been purchased, but perhaps we can play in NYC in the future!

Anyway, I'm sure there are a ton of gaming stores in the area. I would recommend checking out the "google" method and search for gaming stores in NYC. Anyway, we are expecting a new codex within the month, so hold out on further purchases and plans until then!
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Heya Jasper, welcome to the site. You've certainly picked a good time to start DE's being as we're slated for a new book & look within the next 2 weeks.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0