Re-awakening

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Silvershadow
Warrior

Re-awakening

Post by Silvershadow »

Greetings!

I used to play Warhammer Fantasy in Sweden before the turn of the millennium (so mostly 5th edition), having bought wood elf and high elf armies off of a local player but always wanting to complete the elf triad with the dark elves who were my true love. I actually bought the army book and painted up some of the high elf spearmen in a dark elf color scheme in anticipation of gathering up an army even, but the cost of collecting an entire army was an obstacle at that time and eventually my interest in the game waned unfortunately, so those armies were put in storage. I kept the dark elf army book in my bookshelf however and read the lore every now and then. And the years passed...

Since I moved to California last year and found a local Warhammer scene I have felt the urge to return, though it seemed to mostly be 40k at first. However, I soon found that a fair amount of the 40k players also have Fantasy armies that they want to play more often, and the local FLGS wants to rekindle interest in Fantasy so they put on a massive sale recently. So, after getting back into miniature painting with painting up some board game minis earlier this year I could resist no longer - I had to assemble a druchii army. With a few choice eBay auctions, a battalion box and some non-GW minis I have finally started down the one true path!

I have a long way to go before everything is put together and painted up, but I've been lurking on these forums for advice on putting together the army and tactics for a while now so I already owe you guys a lot. D.R.A.I.C.H. 3.0 in particular is a work of art, bravo to everyone who contributed! :)

Given the rumors of an impending update to our army book I've held off on buying the current one, or on committing to exactly what amounts I will put together of each type of warrior for example. I'm also still deciding on my exact color scheme, my aim is for a "cold north" look so blue is definitely a staple. And since I have been playing a dark elf in the MMO EverQuest for well over a decade now (a shadow knight), I wanted part of what makes my army look special to be blue skin reminiscent of the EverQuest dark elves.

Looking forward to the new book and to fielding an army charging from the whiteout of a blizzard into the unsuspecting enemy ranks...
8th edition Dark Elf book: 11-1-5 before I lost track

All hail the Eternity King!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Re-awakening

Post by Saintofm »

Howdy and a warm welcome to the land of fruits and nuts.

So dark Elves, a quick Rundown. As we may be getting a new book soon, this is all subject to much change:

Spearmen can bin in 25 strong meatbags for the sacrificial dagger sorceress, or a good size horde with full command and shields at 40+. 4 ranks of 10 are 40 attacks; any more ranks is to help maintain steadfast (if you outrank an enemy unit you get stubborn) and those 40 attacks.

Crossbowmen's main job is to cause panic, so either 2 or 3 units of 10 or a unit of 20+ with shields and a full command will do nicely.

Corsairs need to keep their 2 handweapons, come in a horde of at least 30, and have the sea serpent standard.

Dark Riders are nice at killing war machines, baiting, and all around harassing. That said, the cheap option is to take a unit of glade guard from the wood elf army and mix and match spar bits from the corsairs and warriors bits.

Harpies are again nice to have, but a mix and match with daemonetts should also help hunting warmachines and shooty units.

Knights need to be 10+. GW will tell you more, so I will experiment with 15 latter.

Shades: I made my second unit mixing glade guard with spare warrior and corsiar bits (mostly warrior) and used greenstuuff cloaks, and any spare heads and skulls as trophies for them.

Chariots need to be used in other chariots, or with other units such as spwarmen, knights, or hydras.

Hydras can kill lots on their own, work better helping knights.

Don't use black guard yet as they still cap off at 20 elves.

Executioners need to come in mass, 5 ranks of 5 or as a horde, preferably supported by cauldron.

The general consesnus with reapers is as many as you can, so at least 3 (which means I need to get 1 more). Given how the HE repeater bolt throwers are 70 points, we'll most likly get a 30 point drop.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Torakeen
Trainee Warrior

Post by Torakeen »

Welcome Starlight!

It does seem WFB is more popular in Europe than in USA and also harder to find gamers. I applaud your persistence! It's a commonly held belief that 40K is tactical, while WFB is strategic in philosophy. I enjoy playing both but have only recently returned myself. Keep hammering at your local gaming club like you have and I think you will find a place for yourself. A new army book and new miniatures will probably fuel you even more like they do me!
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Welcome Starlight, great to have you along for the ride. Things are about to get really exciting.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Torakeen, I don't follow what you mean "40K is tactical, while WFB is strategic in philosophy". I don't play 40k so might be missing something obvious.

And of course: welcome Starlight, shine bright.
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting