Back after 8 years

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

stuaker
Warrior

Back after 8 years

Post by stuaker »

Hi everyone! I'm stuart, and I am getting back into the hobby after a long time, and would love some advice on where to head with my Dark Elf army.
I played as a teenager in the UK, and stopped when I moved to New Zealand in 2006. Having been out of the game so long I'm unsure what some good buys for my army would be, and I haven't got a hold of the new rule or army book yet.
I'm probably going to by the kharibdyss and dreadlord on dragon just because I want to paint them. In storage I have something like:

16 man unit of spearman with full command
16 man repeater crossbowmen, maybe with full command
5 dark elf riders, full command
5+ Cold one Knights, full command
Malus Darkblade on cold one (used him as a dreadlord)
Sorceress on cold one
Reaper Bolt Thrower
6 executioners with full command (hopefully I can pick up some cheap to fill out this unit)
Cold one chariot

Would love to have some input from people with a bit of experience as to what I'm lacking strategically and legally for army makeup, and for pointers in general. Thanks!
Started Warhammer with Dark Elves in 2002, stopped playing in 2005. Came back in 2013.
Other armies; Tyranids, Lizardmen
Main opponents: Slaanesh Daemons, Tomb Kings, Savage Orcs.
Anyone in New Zealand for games and trades?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Back after 8 years

Post by Calisson »

Hi, stuaker, welcome to D.net and to DE generalship!

16 man unit of spearman with full command => still playable. Might like to beef them up to 10 more.
16 man repeater crossbowmen, maybe with full command => excellent. If you can give them shields, all the better.
5 dark elf riders, full command => excellent. Give them shields, and RXB if you can. FC is a little bit too much (only muso is relly needed), but fine.
5+ Cold one Knights, full command => excellent. FC is tad too much, muso is the minimum needed, but they are fine with FC.
Malus Darkblade on cold one (used him as a dreadlord) => now you can use him as Malus.
Sorceress on cold one => now she becomes useful, with Dark Lore.
Reaper Bolt Thrower => must-have.
6 executioners with full command (hopefully I can pick up some cheap to fill out this unit) => 10 is minimum. Pennant might be too much.
Cold one chariot => excellent.
kharibdyss => seems to be a good choice.
dreadlord on dragon => should work perfectly fine.

Check what you could do with such army.
As soon as possible, get 5 shades or 5 more DR.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
stuaker
Warrior

Re: Back after 8 years

Post by stuaker »

Thanks for the input calisson!
What did you mean by pennant in reference to the executioners?

I've never used shades but i'll put them on my to buy list, skirmishing could be fun! I wasn't planning on getting more dark riders but the new models have changed my mind, so i will eventually get another unit.

I've bought some of the old 16 model boxes of warriors to bulk up my spearman in particular, i'll probably leave most of them unassembled until i know what my army needs more.

I've got ten corsairs on the way too. Hopefully i'll find another ten and have a unit of twenty to play around with. Not sure whether to get a handbow or two weapons though, both seem like good options
Started Warhammer with Dark Elves in 2002, stopped playing in 2005. Came back in 2013.
Other armies; Tyranids, Lizardmen
Main opponents: Slaanesh Daemons, Tomb Kings, Savage Orcs.
Anyone in New Zealand for games and trades?