Direweasel

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Direweasel

Post by direweasel »

I've been playing Warhammer since 93 or so, my first army was dark elves. When I started, the only way the Dark Elves could have a Cold One Chariot (or ANY chariot for that matter) was if they took Malekith, and they didn't make a mini for it. I actually made one out of bits, I still have it and call it "the batmobile". It was partly from "The Liche King's Chariot" and had very silly looking sides that looked a bit like the 70's Adam West Batmobile. I'm not sure I ever really fielded it with Malekith, though it did see some use after they became an actual army option. I just liked that I COULD field Malekith if I wanted to. :)

Anyway, my army was called "Apocalypse Drow", and the backstory was that they were all from the Black Ark "Apocalypse". Their general was "Lord Zaphod Beeblebrox, the Seemingly Undying", because no matter what you did to him in the last battle, he was always the general in the next one too. :)

(Yes, I do love me some cheesy pop culture references!!)

My local game store closed in 2002, so I haven't been playing since then, except for one game in my basement with a friend I hadn't seen in a long time.

Now I'm back in, and very happy with the new book. I've also gotten a lot better at painting in the meantime, having practiced on other minis for other games (mostly just RPGs). So I'm eager to get back into painting the stuff I hadn't finished, and when they're done, stripping/repainting the stuff I did years ago that I'm no longer happy with. I'm still not anywhere near the level of where I would like to be, but I am getting better and enjoy the process.

I have tons of figs, I haven't pointed it all out yet for this edition, but I could easily field 5k points painted in 2002, and I have still more unpainted that I am now working on. I counted it up back in the day, and I could make a legal 2001 army of over 13k points if we counted everything I owned, and kitted out with magic. So I'm grateful to not have to buy much new stuff. The prices have gotten ridiculous!

I am going to buy a few new ones, though, mostly just to field units I don't presently own. First on that list will be Warlocks, those guys are awesome! I'm also going to buy some of the new witches to use as Sisters of Slaughter at some point, but not as much of a rush on them, as I feel they're pretty situational units. I would say that the main reason I'm buying new minis though, is to support the local game store. After years without one, I definitely appreciate having a place to play and I'll do what I can to make sure it works out for them.

That's pretty much it for me.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Direweasel

Post by Calisson »

Welcome to old timer Direweasel!
RPG is a very pleasent way to play WH.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Thank you. Glad to be aboard, and eager to re-learn the craft with the new rules. I was never really about winning every match, but I certainly won my share and had a good time doing it.

And the painting. Given how much time that takes, anybody that is in this hobby but DOESN'T enjoy painting, I have to wonder why they chose this hobby. But hey, whatever works for ya.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Welcome and enjoy :)

direweasel wrote:
And the painting. Given how much time that takes, anybody that is in this hobby but DOESN'T enjoy painting, I have to wonder why they chose this hobby. But hey, whatever works for ya.

I hate painting miniatures with a passion. Love the hobby though :mrgreen:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

T.D. wrote:Welcome and enjoy :)

direweasel wrote:

I hate painting miniatures with a passion. Love the hobby though :mrgreen:

So how do you get around that, if I may ask? Do you buy pre-painted stuff from friends or the internet? Do you pay/bribe others to paint for you? Or do you just spend hours doing something you don't like to play the game? There's no wrong answer, I'm just genuinely curious about it.

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

If I tried to paint my miniatures, those little guys would be launched across the room into the nearest wall within a short space of time!

But I have some really beautifully painted miniatures in my collection - so many gamers like to paint, people are usually happy to paint mine :mrgreen:

I really admire great miniature painters because I know how much time, effort and skill is involved. My route is others painting either because they want to, or on commission - division of labour 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Welcome to the site & back to the hobby in General. Sounds like you have one hell of a collection, would love for you to post some photos of your work, especially the Batmobile.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

xFallenx wrote:Welcome to the site & back to the hobby in General. Sounds like you have one hell of a collection, would love for you to post some photos of your work, especially the Batmobile.

I will! I plan on posting some of my more recent work as soon as it's complete. But yes, it is very much a case where I got a little carried away buying minis back in my college days.

I want it officially noted, however, that I didn't paint the Batmobile, and I very much plan on redoing it. It's a good conversion, the paint job - not so much. :)