New player from Perth, Australia

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

nathan
Slave on the Altar

New player from Perth, Australia

Post by nathan »

Hi, I'm Nathan. I'm primarily a 40k ork player, with a bit of experience using Bretonnians. I'm jumping into Dark Elves, following a wave of nostalgia I got after dusting off the 20 or so Dark elf models I've had since I was in primary school in '95 or so. I think it was 4th or 5th edition Dark Elves (my army book's got a big white haired witch elf on the front - and while executioners didn't have models, they were depicted as having axes, not swords) that first introduced me to the game. Thank god they're all metal models - they're taking a bath in acetone tonight to get rid of the awful paintjob.

I'm looking forwards to a tactical army with lots of flexibility and options. As much as I love Orks, I'm getting tired doing the same thing game after game, with no variation in battleplan.
Bretonnians (which I chose because I love painting them) didn't really tickle my fancy either, with a fairly one dimensional "charge" playstyle, lackluster infantry, magic and shooting, and not many real options in terms of models (knights, knights, knights and more knights...).

I've just bought the batallion and the new Army Book. Looking forwards to my time on the boards here

-Nathan
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: New player from Perth, Australia

Post by Calisson »

Welcome, nathan, to D.net! :)
DE can be devastating in melee, but their fragility requires some finess in the army list (synergize or die), deployment (match up or die) and maneuvre (pick up your fights or die).

The batallion is a great value for money.
In addition, you need a sorceress, and several agile units (dark riders, shades, harpies, warlocks and/or pegasus/steed mounted masters).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
nathan
Slave on the Altar

Re: New player from Perth, Australia

Post by nathan »

Thankyou for the welcome

I've got a old male sorcerer model from before they were removed from the army book. I might use him. Don't tell Malekith!