I'm back! (After nearly 10 years....)

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Jonny shoreboy
Trainee Warrior

I'm back! (After nearly 10 years....)

Post by Jonny shoreboy »

Hi everyone,
It has been a long time since I have been on here. I was a big time gamer during the 6th edition of Warhammer hitting the tourney scene, both in England and Europe as well. I was with a bunch of other Kiwi's who lived and gamed in the UK and we called ourselves the War Blacks.

So, after a long time out, and a move back to New Zealand I have just started to get some of my models out and start the hoarding/collecting/painting thing again. Will hopefully join the local gaming club and play a few games but mainly I am looking forward to painting again. Won a few best painted armies back in the day and during my brief stint as a key timer for GW I managed to collect pretty much all the 6th edition armies and painting up my Dark Elves is my next task.

Even as a dedicated tourney player I was always the guy with the 'nice looking' fluffy army and often took out the most sporting player award. I like to paint and play with units that look cool, fit the fluff or are a bit unusual. I'm well out of touch with what's cool now a days but will search hard to see what new bits I should add to my army. No MSU armies here...

So that's me. Old 6th edition player back in the game again. So please be patient if I use terms that are a bit 'last edition' etc and please feel free to help out with advice/frowns when needed.

And last of all, I do intend to add some pictures of my painted units as they are finished. Because let's face it. We all like to look at painted units...
6th edition Dinosaur...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: I'm back! (After nearly 10 years....)

Post by Calisson »

Welcome Jonny shoreboy to D.net! :)
Experienced hobbyists are always welcome.
Tactical forum and P&M will enjoy your comments.

If you did not play since 6th ed, you might find a couple of changes... well, lots of changes.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Welcome back to the forum.
Looking forward to seeing you units.
stuaker
Warrior

Post by stuaker »

Welcome back! I played about 10 years ago back in the UK (not in the tourney scene, I was still a teenager), and stopped playing about 8 years ago. Recently got back into it with my girlfriend and now living in wellington NZ, if you're ever in the capital hit me up for a game
Started Warhammer with Dark Elves in 2002, stopped playing in 2005. Came back in 2013.
Other armies; Tyranids, Lizardmen
Main opponents: Slaanesh Daemons, Tomb Kings, Savage Orcs.
Anyone in New Zealand for games and trades?
Dragon9
Assassin

Post by Dragon9 »

Welcome back! Funny, I was in the same boat as you. Played 6th and have been gone for a decade or more. The changes from 6th to 8th may be a shock. I still accidentally mix editions while playing.
"The dark elves have everything cool. They are pirate blood cultist ninjas riding dinosaurs and flinging magic. They're metal. They're the most metal race out there, rivaled only by Warriors of Chaos. They bring a cauldron of boiling blood onto the battlefield. You don't get much more metal than that." -- Mostlyharmless on Warseer

My Blog: A Small World - My Life in Miniatures

Image Image
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Dragon9 wrote:Welcome back! Funny, I was in the same boat as you. Played 6th and have been gone for a decade or more. The changes from 6th to 8th may be a shock. I still accidentally mix editions while playing.

I've played so many editions that I remember when Medusa were in the Chaos army (there was only one Chaos Army) and they use to auto kill Treemen in the shooting phase. Frost dragons and unridden Manticores were all the rage back then too. :lol: Anyhow...welcome back to a lost comrade.
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

Welcome :-) I am a new returner as well and have been enjoying catching up with new stuff and planning my army etc... This website is fantastic for getting back into the swing of things and a great resource.

What strikes me is the new (to me at least) charging rules I.e. You roll for charge distance, when I last played your charges were double movement. From battle reports I have been reading I can see that this dynamic change has altered games for the better though I will soon find out for myself next week or the week after when I finally get chance to go to my local gaming club :-)

Hope you enjoy your return and the satisfaction of painting up the first model again is priceless!
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Welcome back. I'm just over in three kings if you ever wanna game, just PM me :)
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Welcome to the party!
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Jonny shoreboy
Trainee Warrior

Post by Jonny shoreboy »

Thanks for all the replies people. I'm glad I am not the only person to 'wander off' for a few years...
I hope to get a few more units painted up so I can play a few smaller games to get the hang of the new rules. I did get a few games of 7th edition in but I am really look forward to trying out the latest version of Warhammer.
I'll have a good snoop through the relevant sections to get up to speed with any Q&A's and maybe even put up a battle report as I find this the easiest way to enquire as to how things should play out. And like I mentioned earlier we all like looking and pretty pictures..
6th edition Dinosaur...