Trying to get back into it

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Xaereth
Slave (off the Altar)

Trying to get back into it

Post by Xaereth »

Howdy, folks! I used to play Fantasy quite a bit back in 7th, and I've even had some success in 8th, though it has been far less of a focus for me of late. The last time I played was at the Adepticon Championships about a year ago now, and I hadn't played for about 1.5 years before that - I went undefeated on Day 1 somehow, and even beat what my opponent called a "gutstar" on Day 2 to make it to near the top table. However, I lost to a fellow Dark Elf player on Table 2, after he "seized the initiative" on me (rolled a "6" before the game started to take first turn away from me - the rule is seize the initiative in 40k, haha) and proceeded to trounce me, after I thought I had a good chance to beat him after deployment. Ah well.

As you might be able to tell, I am by nature a competitive player - I love going to tournaments, and am extremely active in the 40k community. I've enjoyed some modest success in 40k, having made the top bracket in 4 out of the past 5 major tournaments I've attended, as well as going 4-1 at the Nova Invitational last year, only losing to the eventual champion. This isn't really to brag (well, maybe a little) but more just want to convey the idea that I do enjoy the hobby primarily for competition.

That being said, I am also into my opponent's enjoying the game - I am currently very tired of the most recent iteration of 40k which is essentially Deathstar or bust. I play a Deathstar list myself, but have tried to make it as "approachable" to other players as possible, rather than risk alienating my opponents. The same can be said for my approach to any wargame - I love playing competitive games, but want it to be fun for everyone involved, and will generally take things that throw skilled opponents off just enough to gain an advantage against them.

I will likely write a bunch of batreps with pictures as I get back into the hobby, and post them on my blog. If you want a preview of my reports, you can check out the blog itself, though you won't find any reports for Fantasy that are in any way recent. I do a pretty thorough job on the reports though, and I will be happy to link them up on the batrep forum here.

I initially got into Fantasy because my LGS had a grow league for Fantasy, and I wanted to try something different. Without looking at the power level of the various codexes, I chose Dark Elves because I love the Cold One models, as well as the Hydras. I really wanted an all-beast army, and it turned out that I had lucked out and chosen one of the most powerful builds in 7th - Dragon Lord + Hydras + Dark Riders. Dark Elves are my first and only Fantasy army, and I don't really intend to branch out any time soon.

Mostly just looking to find what makes the Dark Elves tick these days, and see what sort of nonsense I can accomplish. Don't expect me to post much, really - I generally just lurk, though I'll ask the occasional question here or there. See you out there!
Last edited by Xaereth on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's no moon, that's a... no, wait... that's a moon.
Jesus saves, everyone else takes wounds.

My blog, Delusions of Grandeur (mostly 40k stuff, with some Fantasy mixed in)

Follow me on Twitter for live tournament updates and other stuff
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Trying to get back into it

Post by Amboadine »

Welcome to the forum. Always good to see battle reports. Especially against tournament lists.
Dark elves are probably not the strongest army this edition, but by no means weak, and a number of players have won tournaments using different variants of list. There is now more than one competitive build available to us.
Good luck with 8th edition.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Trying to get back into it

Post by T.D. »

Howdy 8)

We all love tournament-level feedback so you'll fit right in ;)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame