Retake the Black Ark!

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Watchmaster
Lost in the Chaos Wastes

Retake the Black Ark!

Post by Watchmaster »

I've been playing WHFB since early 7th edition; first Lizardmen, then Ogre Kingdoms. My Ogre tribe is themed around the idea that they were tricked and captured by Dark Elves while trying to purchase transport aboard a Black Ark, and, after decades of torture and slavery, ended up ransacking and seizing control of the entire floating city.

To get the proper background for that army I had to read as much as I could about the Druchii, buy several DE kits for conversions (Ogres assimilate the cultures around them, even if they happen to hate said cultures), and basically immerse myself as much in the Dark Elves as I did the Ogres themselves. I also purposely tried to challenge as many DE players as I could, and, up to the latest release, got pretty good at countering them.

Now a new escalation/painting league is starting, and with my Ogres all painted I need something new. The idea struck me that I could craft a DE force specifically tasked with reclaiming the Ark from my Ogre tribe... So, here I am in the Land of Chill.

I absolutely love the new DE book. It's powerful enough that I think I can get away with running the models I like best without handicapping myself, and the new kits are dynamite. It's also about as different of an army from Ogres as there can be, which I'm looking forward to as well. I'm trying a MSU approach for the first time here, so we'll see how that goes; Dark Elves aren't particularly well suited to protracted grinds, and my forces have to be capable of hamstringing a Gutstar without getting dragged into a war of attrition (Also, my attention span is limited when it comes to painting).

Thanks for having such a great online community here, folks. From what I've seen so far, this is about the most friendly and helpful group of self-proclaimed sadists and murderers there is!
Lesebyst
Trainee Warrior

Re: Retake the Black Ark!

Post by Lesebyst »

Welcome, nice back story! It would be interesting if the next edition of WHFB allows allies to be taken again, then you could bring along a couple of the recaptured ogres as a penal unit (assuming they'd be any left in one piece, I'm guessing losing a Black Ark in the first place would be quite upsetting and your boarding parties might be a little more.... violent than usual).
Enslave all the races!!!
My Budget Druchii Army Blog
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

One of your escapees? :P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Hello and welcome.Dark elves seem to fit you needs nicely. Good luck as you build your force.
Watchmaster
Lost in the Chaos Wastes

Post by Watchmaster »

Thanks for the welcome!

I wish I had the sculpting skills to make something like that Ogre executioner. My conversions are far less spectacular, but I'm getting better. If I can wrest the camera away from my significant other I'll try to post some things in the painting area. I've settled on a color scheme for the DE now at least. Gotta get 500 points painted and based in the next week and a half, so the pressure is on...