Greetings from the Athel Loren

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shadowleaf
Slave on the Altar

Greetings from the Athel Loren

Post by Shadowleaf »

Hello All.

I’ve been a wood elf player since 2006.

Traditionally, I run a fast assault army, and I love it! I’m hoping to get some lessons on how to work with the new Wood Elves, as they seem to be at least somewhat similar to the Dark Elves (though I don’t have a lot of experience with the Druchii).

I’m hoping that this latest iteration of the Asrai AB facilitates that same aggressive assault style that I loved so much. Any suggestions about where to look for good assault and Close Combat strategies and tactics from my darker cousins would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Shadowleaf
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Greetings from the Athel Loren

Post by T.D. »

Greetings.

We have a wealth of information here.

Check out the D.R.A.I.C.H. for our wily ways: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72758

...and our battle report sections for examples of mobile assault play: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72448

Enjoy! (but not too much ...we know of your kind :P )
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Hello and welcome to the start of your descent into darkness, you will find the true elven path soon enough :twisted:
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

The fastest units I can think of would be dark riders (I like mine with full upgrades) and our scouts the shades obviously,

Hydras move pretty fast. Knights would be another fast unit being cavalry (try giving them the ranger's standard so they don't have too take dangerous terrain tests on everything...they are cavalry, what do you expect)

Harpies have fly.

A tooled up lord on a Pegasus is always fun and there are a few builds somewhere

Most of the infantry units can take magic banners so a Standard of Swiftness to give them a +1 to their movement value is good.

Eternal Flame standard and scarecrow standard work for crossbows. The former gives them flaming attacks, which is always fun to use at a distance, and the other gives them something to take on those pesky flyers (the bane of shooty units)

I like using the razor standard on executioners as even if they fight an high armored monstrous foe, or don't get off a killing blow at least, they can eat up armor like a college student eats up instant roman. Other players who have witch elves and Black Guard love to have it on them.

Flameing banner can also work for witch elves as now they have poison attacks that ignore regeneration (be wary of flame resistant troops).

Sisters of Slaughter and Witch elves are two sides of the same coin: A powerful unit that can be reduced to gooy bits in an instant if you are not carful due to a lack of armor.

In the Witch elves case, they get in lots of attacks with poison (a rank of 5 gets 3 attacks each thanks to frenzy and 2 hand weapons), so taking on lightly armored troops are fun, and allows them to take on monstrous and monster units without sweating bullets.

Sisters of slaughter are first and foremost anti elite unit, followed by anti units that spam ranks. This is due to their ability to negate the enemy from getting points for rank bonuses (which is really good for facing Skaven) and enemy parry saves. However they also get a 4+ ward save against all close combat attacks (which includes stomp and impact hits) and get a +1 bonus to hitting and wounding if the enemy unit they are fighting has either a superior weapon skill or strength value. Note that at a Sister's weapon skill, good luck finding a unit that can out WS them. That said finding a unit with a base strength of 4 is going to mean they will certainly get their bonus.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra