Old player returning

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

GrumpyJock486
Slave on the Altar

Old player returning

Post by GrumpyJock486 »

Fellow Dark Elf players,
It has been at 3 years since I last player Warhammer (edition 7 rules) and I have now come back to the hobby and find myself facing 3 other friends in a few weekends who know the new game rather better than me! This post is split in to two halves, both seeking advice and corrections to my thoughts.

Part 1: Is my understanding of the new DE army under 8th edition correct?
Having read the rule book a couple of times, it seems DE are massively buffed compared to edition 7, but I assume everyone else's army lists are equally (or unequally) buffed? In a nutshell and, please correct my thinking if it is wrong, we still appear to have great utility, but look to be CC army at heart. Given weak(ish) armour saves and low toughness, I assume the play style is now, get in quick and hit hard, but pick your fight carefully.

Edition 8 rules seems to have altered game balance back to infantry with elements of hero hammer.

Looks like the movement phase is still the most important and the army has to pick units to attack carefully and ensure a flank charge to the same unit as well. This is based on the thought that most armies will be able to use Steadfast against DE (working on the possibly flawed idea that most other armies will be cheaper). Holding up with an infantry unit while hitting hard with an elite unit on the side would appear to be de rigor?

Magic seems more powerful and very viable for a DE player (no experience here though so please correct). Executioners and Witch Elves seem to be near no brainers (esp, with COB). COK seem less useful to me , given steadfast, they become a flank charge unit and their stupidity and slower move makes them less attractive then DR, or am I missing something here?
Mass ranks of spears seem viable as do lots of mobile masters. Hydra still looks good, although will become missile magnet number one.
Looking at list, I am working on the principle that fast flanks, some largish infantry units slightly either side of centre and some RBT would be not uncommon and, hopefully, effective practise. Assuming some lord with CC gear and a mage or 2.

Part 2: Armies I am facing.
With the above in mind I am seeking further advice, I will be playing a number of games against friends who know the new edition better than me and have had time to practise. I will be facing Orcs and Goblins, Wood Elves and some undead army from the End of Time list (not sure the last part is correct, but it might be, this particular player has always loved a deathstar, hero hammer approach and if he could squeeze Nagash into 2000 points, he would). To add another layer of complexity for the newbie, they are also playing 2400 points under Swedish Comp System (quick read suggests this is anti cheese and hits obvious ideas like witchbrewed, COB witch elves and executioners, lots of dark peg masters and the like). Everybody will play everybody for at least 1 game so lists have to be tailored to suit all.

Many of you will have played these armies far more than me under 8th edition, what do I have to watch for and what sort of list should I field? Orcs and Goblins worry me most, used to be able to heavy cav and shoot them to death, but this is not a viable strategy now and, I am sure this player will bring that massive "cheese" spider!
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: Old player returning

Post by Rork »

Welcome.

I'd recommend paying a visit to the tactics forum. 8th ed WH is more about magic and infantry than it used to be. Light cavalry are generally only any good for taking on light targets (rather than rank breakers of old), so some of the subtlety has been replaced with casting some nasty spells followed up by some big units o' death. Heavy cavalry have it tough since it's hard for them to remove steadfast and reliably break an opponent.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Old player returning

Post by Calisson »

Welcome GrumpyJock486 to D.net! :)

Your analysis is excellent, the only sentence that seemed odd was "Mass ranks of spears seem viable", which is true but however they are hardly played anymore competitively.
Have a look to tactics forum indeed and army list forum, you will read what comes out with Swedish comp.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}