Alith Anar-is he dead?

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Lodark
Cold One Knight

Alith Anar-is he dead?

Post by Lodark »

Exactly what the title says. Is there any fluff in the older editions claiming that he died and if so how? Its just that at points in the new book they refer to him as if he's dead.
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

It seems like half of the special characters featured in the army books are dead. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was among them.
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

There was a 6th edition piece detailing the opening stages of the invasion of Naggaroth he and Eltharion put together, and it was set in "current" WHFB time (as in, it was during Malekith's ongoing invasion of Ulthuan).

So he's alive and kicking.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I have a vague recollection of Alith Anar showing up during Sundering, and as we know not many elves are immortal.

Personally I believe Alith Anar is a name each succeeding king of the Shadowlands takes on as a tradition. The original Alith Anar being long dead but the current Alith Anar being much like him (with all the gear passed down)
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Sorceress
Cold One Knight

Post by Sorceress »

I once had a theory that Alith Anar had made a special oath to the intertwine his fate with that of Malekith. For as long as the Witch King lives he will not age a day and live a charmed existence that will see him always aware of Malekith's presence as if he were his actual shadow.

However, when the Witch King dies so too shall he fade from the world.
<Sirist> As Malus's hateful hate-juice hit his hateful opponents, each one exploded into a bloodmist, while Malus hatefully screamed, "Blood and skulls for Khorne -- I mean, Khaine!"
Drasanil
Dru Perim

Post by Drasanil »

Well if you read the book Invasion from BL, the first and last stories are both about Eltharion and Alith Anar's "invasion" of Naggaroth, making him or at least who ever claims to be him still alive.

On an interesting side note the stories make it quite clear that he believes himself to be the true king of the druchii. It also makes it more than clear that Eltharion's "success" in Naggaroth was little more than a ploy by Malekith (the true king of all elves *spits at Alith Anar*) to draw the Asur in to a bloody war of attrition.
The truth behind the Sundering:
Rork wrote:High Elf: "I'm not fat!"
Dark Elf: "Of course you're not, dear. You've just grown lazy and indolent and wrecked the inheritance for our children!"
High Elf: "I want a divorce."
Javert
Beastmaster

Post by Javert »

Sorceress wrote:I once had a theory that Alith Anar had made a special oath to the intertwine his fate with that of Malekith. For as long as the Witch King lives he will not age a day and live a charmed existence that will see him always aware of Malekith's presence as if he were his actual shadow.

However, when the Witch King dies so too shall he fade from the world.

This would not only be awesome, but make alot of sense as well. Though, knowing GW they've probably made it so each succesive Shadow King is renamed Alith Anar, because they lack ingenuity like this.

It would certainly explain his immortality in a real and awesome way - though there are numerous ways why could be immortal. There are too many people to count in the Warhammer World who are Immortal. While I think that the Malekith's Shadow thing is an awesome idea, I don't know how the magic of it would work, and who would perform such a spell - I believe that Alith Anar has died, but like Sigmar, he is venerated as a kind of God among the Shadow Warriors and thus lives on.

EDIT: Besides, does anyone know what exactly not quite immortal means with Elves? We have no idea how old they can actually live to. Malekith lived to about 2600 or so without any outside interference, and he was still a fierce warrior. Unless there's something that actually says how old Elves live to, Alith Anar could have actually survived normally all this time.
"Ghost"

WS: 5
S: 2
T: 2
D: 5
I: 4

Skills: Basic Stealth, Stealth.
Inventory: Shade Cloak, Short Sword, Repeater Handbow, Legran's Token, Six Daggers, 65.5 Gold, Thieves' Tools, Wrist Blades.

Group 19 Moderator
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

We have no idea how old they can actually live to.

Warhammer elves tend to live for about two thousand years. Beyond that they'd need some sort of magical assistance to keep going.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Lodark
Cold One Knight

Post by Lodark »

Just found something on the matter in the HE book p.23. It says know one knows what happened to him, but that his heirs now rule the shadow warriors. It also says that he's still talked of as a living spirit, so maybe that's where the confusion comes in.

@Sorceress: I like that idea, but it says on p.23 again that no one would take Alith Anar's throne as a mark or respect or something like that.

Why does all the fluff on him collide and not ake any sense?
Alshar Calaelen
WS: 3
S: 5
T: 4
D: 3
I: 3

Equipment:
Repeater Crossbow, Dagger, shield and light armour.
Sorceress
Cold One Knight

Post by Sorceress »

Well I had my idea back in late 6th edition when I had designs upon making a “Shadow Elves” as a separate/alternate army list.

Anyway, glad some people actually like my idea.
<Sirist> As Malus's hateful hate-juice hit his hateful opponents, each one exploded into a bloodmist, while Malus hatefully screamed, "Blood and skulls for Khorne -- I mean, Khaine!"
The_vicar
Beastmaster

Post by The_vicar »

I like alith anar much to much, love the fluff and think he adds some depth to the dark elves and high elves in equal measure, is he alive, well he follows the same route that the brets wood elf mage follows, i'll be damned bt i can't remember what here name is but yeah that one.
Stand and deliver sir!, lest I cleft your head in twain....
Son of khaine
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Son of khaine »

I'd say he is alive but if he is then I'll kill him!
We shall seize Ulthuan, PS Nagaira sounds like she's hot! F*** the Wood Elves!
Vect
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Vect »

alith anar was around before the sundering
his father and grandfather fought with malekith against morathi
after that, he got pissed when malekith turned against his grandfather and father so he holds a grudge against malekith for that and also for sinking nagarythe to this day
With Hatred, All things are possible.