A few questions, and a tale of Slaughter.

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Alexos
Slave on the Altar

A few questions, and a tale of Slaughter.

Post by Alexos »

Hello Druchii.net. I am new here, and new to Elves of any sort in general. I grew to like the Dark Elves for three reasons:

1 Assassins. enough said.
2 How the twin themes of Raiders and Defenders complement each other. I like how the Dark Elves are cruel and sadistic, yet still defend themselves from Chaos.
3 It scares my friend Doug, who collects a Skaven Army. He saw I could field Hydras and Assassins, which are both equal, if not better, to his assassins and Hell Pit abomonations.

Well, Doug and I are both new to Warhammer fantasy, and we decided that since we live around 20 miles from the nearest model shop, we would play a campaign amongst ourselves to get ourselves acquainted with the hobby in general, and so I have embarked on a quest to create such a campaign.

So, I decided that I would start the campaign between me (Dark Elves), my little brother (Lizardmen), my friend Doug (Skaven), and my friend Sabre (no kidding, that's his real name, Daemons of Chaos). This way we could all have armies that have a great story behind them.

Well, I want my Dark Elves to be the engineers of all this, as I am the engineer of the Campaign. So, my dark elves will be doing alot with magic. This leads to my Questions:

1. Can Dark Elves still make Black Arks; and can they make them out of Non-Dark Elf cities?

2. Are the Druchii strong enough to make a portal in the Warp that connects two continents for any extended period of time (around a week, maybe a week and a half)? If not alone, could they possibly use Warpstone to help them create some form of temporary gateway?

As for the story. The story has to do with a group of Black Ark Raiders without an Ark led by my army's Dreadlord to create a Black Ark out of a Human city. I know it wouldn't make sense at first, but I hope to make it a convincing story. Here is the start of my story, I hope to enter it into the Black Library's competition. Here is the first part:

Harath'Kar looked out over the warm, almost serene lands before him, hatred and envy both vying for his attention as he watched the settlements that thrived and prospered over a patchwork of verdant greens that slowly blended into honeyed yellows and ochre harshness in a riot of natural beauty. He could hear his own voice on the winds that rustled the trees, screaming at him to burn it, burn all the beauty and grace, leaving only harsh, cold reality in it's wake.Harath'Kar stifled his inner voice with a hissed sigh of contempt for the mortals below him, knowing full well that not one of them would be able to defend itself with any amount of skill. Sons of Naggarythe would never be found so wanting when it came to their own defense, and it angered Harath'Kar that the race that his people had protected so long ago could only waste their lives living ignorant, like dogs.

It would be a pleasure to offer up such idiots and cowards to Khaine, god of murder and bloodshed. Only he could truly appreciate the torture of a weak slave's soul, of the screams of anguish and sorrow that only cowards and beggars could make. He signaled to his personal Executioner, Khadath'Khae, to bring forward last night's prisoner. An almost pitiful thing, if Harath'Kar, or any of his raiding force, could recognise Pity. The man was starved, and in constant pain, sniveling and crying as he was brought forward, yelping as blades prodded him forward. His fear was almost palpable, and had a deliscious twinge of awe, Harath decided, drawing his blades.

It is an old and venerated tradition that sacrifices of any kind were given over to the Temple of Khaine, so that the maximum potential of each sacrifice made it's journey to the Murder god's realm, but a Cauldron of Blood would have slowed his raider's progress, and he would have been more prone to discovery. Even without the Cauldron, he could still perform the required rites and obeiscances. The slave had frozen on sight of Harath'Kar's ceremonial blades, Great, curving daggers, each the size of a small sword, and covered in silver gilt-lines visages of Khaine. Words were carved into the flats of the blades, each a monicker or name that evokes the Murder God's name, and casts his gaze to the bearer. Harath'Kar could almost feel the eyes of a malicious, cunning being of insurmountable power watching his every move.

The two daggers sang through the air, highlighting Harath'Kar's words of power, making them resonate with an unholy dirge of power. A red welt appeared at the slave's chest, and his blood coalesced onto the ground, swirling together into a shimmering pool of light, shifting into complex sigils and runes. The slave, unnerved by the display, screamed as he turned, looking for an escape, but seeing only a score of dark, brooding Raiders staring back at them.

Harath'Kar sang out again, drawing another line of blood, this time from the slave's back, leaking out more steadily than the last, and soon the puddle on the ground was joined by another, and another, each one another letter or phrase, foretelling Harath of him and his raider's possible fate. It is said that Khaine would tell his favoured servants if they were to die in the next battle, but hat unfaithful followers would be told of a crushing victory, only to be crushed by a larger, well-prepared force.

Harath'Kar exulted in the feeling of power that sang through him as he drew cut after cut across the slave. Even after the slave had truly perished, and was only held up by the shields of his personal executioners, Harath still cut away, drawing a spiralling, Near-forgotten mark of Khaine upon the man's flesh. Even when it's heart stopped pumping, and no breath entered his lungs, the slave's wounds still wept blood, almost slithering out from under his skin in an obscene, vulgar parody of life.

As the last sigils coalesced onto the ground, they began to scab over, quickly solidifying into Harath'Kar's fate, as the god Khaine saw it. The shades, Raiders, and warriors that stood nearby all looked on with awe as the sigils played themselves out, turning into a poem that, if read one way, meant a victory that would mark the start of a great conquest. If read another way, it meant that Harath'Kar was to be doomed to an eternal struggle against his foes, never succeeding, but always surviving to start, and fail, again.

The God of Murder favoured him this day, for the prophecy meant that he had to work for his salvation, or die in damnation.

Hope you enjoy. C&C are appreciated, because this is my first time trying to capture the cruelty of the Dark Elves. I can't move too far forward without an answer to the questions above, so I eagerly await your replies.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Dark elves can still make black arks though usually they are smaller and more designed as ships (though still far larger than any conventional craft) than the originals. There is no reason why one could not be made from a human city.

For the second question I am not sure, the only comparable thing I can think of (and this was before my time in Warhammer) is the Slaan linking Lustria with Albion and if memory serves that was with a tunnel of air. The only people in fantasy actually making a portal through the warp that lasted any lengthy amount of time are the old ones and that didn't work out so well. It is clearly possible for individual mages to travel in the warp as evidenced by stories in the army book. On the other hand I do not see why it would not be possible so long as you had a great many sorcs at your disposal, it would certainly be very hazardous and played right could provide a reason for the daemons of chaos to be in the mortal realm but so far as I know there is nothing saying it couldn't be done and if anyone could do it the convents could.

Oh and welcome it Druchii net, may you have an agonising stay. :D
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Alexos
Slave on the Altar

Post by Alexos »

Thanks, Drainial. I think that the warp portal could work with around ten sorcerers, if doen right. I was thinking that the human population of the city would be sacrificed up to Khaine to make sure that the Warp Portal is stable for long enough for what they need to come through.

I will be posting some more of the story later on today.