Death Hags... in Denmark

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Death Hags... in Denmark

Post by Nightcall »

I've been researching the origins of seidr, AKA Norse sorcery for the last few months, and came across this today. Cauldron of blood, ritual sacrifice, women and battle magic...

~Battle Magic~

There are records of an ancient tribe of Jutland in Denmark, named the Cimbri. It is difficult to tell whether they are Germanic or Celtic, they could be a mix of both. Evidence of this possible blend comes from artefacts and burial mounds found in Denmark which are remarkably similar to those found in Ireland and Britain.

The Cimbri tribe was amongst those who resisted the Romans, and would face them in battle, in around 100BC. The warriors would be accompanied onto the battle-field by their wives and seer-priestesses. These seeresses are described as being “grey-haired, clad in white, with flaxen cloaks fastened on with clasps, girt with girdles of bronze, and bare footed” [1].

Captives from the enemy side would be sacrificed and their entrails and blood would be collected in vessels, with which the seer-priestesses would make prophecies and divine the outcome of battle in blood.

One theory around the Gundestrup cauldron is that it may be a sacrificial vessel where blood was collected during times of battle.

These accounts may be grisly tales of fiction told to frighten Roman children, or make the Cimbri seem barbaric compared to the more civilised southerners (in the Roman eyes at least!), or they may well be actual accounts. We know that blood was used in magic, whether from drawing a stave or marking a rune, to making a dedication or sacrifice to the Gods. It is quite possible that the essence of the enemy was claimed to please the gods, strengthen the warriors and help them defeat their foes.

[1] Wikipedia, Cimbri http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbri

The women sorceresses also carried iron staffs.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Magic cauldron's that restore life to the dead are a big part of British Celtic myth...and that's where I thought the inspiration for the Druchii Cauldron of Blood came from...

But these Cimbri do seem like proper Witch Elves in the application of their magic cauldron!

Cool find 8)
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Let's not bring reality into this eh?

Warhammer world; impossibly hot scantily clad elven babes caling down their iron skinned god's wrath.

Reality; overweight, rotten toothed old hags stinking from the detritus of animal/human sacrifices they have just performed.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Sulla, you're the bane of poetry. Curse on you :evil:

;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Wait....there are Death Hags in reality Sulla? Hmm...remind me to stay away from whereever you live =)

As to the OP, it's an interesting find, but I think that the whole evil woman performing nefarious deeds to retain her eternal youth vibe is fairly prevalent across a lot of mythologies and folk lore.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Re:

Post by Saintofm »

Sulla wrote:Let's not bring reality into this eh?

Warhammer world; impossibly hot scantily clad elven babes caling down their iron skinned god's wrath.

Reality; overweight, rotten toothed old hags stinking from the detritus of animal/human sacrifices they have just performed.

Is that before or after they have their dip in the cauldron?

In all seriousness I find this info interesting as GW, like Tolkin before, used real world peoples and old legends as their inspiration, so this adds a new level.

As for Brit. and other tribes, it makes sense to be. Germanic tribes were famouse for their women going to battle, and there have been stories of them putting the wagons in the right place to make reatreating harder, becasue no woman of those tribes wanted a whimpy husband. And if their husband was getting their butt handed to him.

Yes this is all taken with a grain of salt when it comes to reality as Jesus didn't wield warhammers (Empire), Vikings did not look like angry rugby players from the Islands with more padding (Warriors of Chaos), Azteks were not Dinosaur People who share names with Dinobots (Lizardmen), Scots Men Are Not Big, Green, belligerent blokes (Orcs and Goblins),and vampires don't sparkle (Twilight).
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Death Hags... in Denmark

Post by Thraundil »

Let us remember that these battlefield occurances are written by the victor. Cimbri and Teuton tribes fled from what is now Denmark and northern germany around 110-100 BC, this much is known from roman historians. One can speculate that the harvest had failed, and there were too many mouths to feed, and as the (likely far too small to challenge the roman republic) tribes migrated south, they gave encountering tribes two options. Join us or we will wipe you out, take your food and valuables, and move along. When this proceeded southwards into gaul, a roman province, Rome had to do something. In 107 BC the cimbri routed and destroyed a roman army in sourthern Gaul (now France) sent to stop them. Some years later another army was raised and sent (I believe this was around the time of the Marian reforms), and if memory serves was victorious after a longer campaign. Rome defeated the Cimbri and Teuton tribes, and while there may have been some truth in the human sacrifice to appease the gods deal, theres a very good chance the romans greatly exaggarated the whole story :P
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

As far as the cauldron restoring youth, I always thought of Countess Elizabeth Báthory de Ecsed, while the death hags/witches as the wives of North-Men battling the Romans (The true/false belief that there was no retreat for fear of being carved up by the ladies as you ran by).

I think the differing stories between us is actually closer to the mark of how they were created by GW. Hearsay/opinion/speculation being universal.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Gwii2510
Shade

Post by Gwii2510 »

That really explains a lot about my girlfriend.... ;-)
Look down, look down, you'll always be a slave! Look down, look down, you're standing in your grave!
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Gwii2510 wrote:That really explains a lot about my girlfriend.... ;-)

Sounds like a keeper, just keep her away from the knife block. ;)
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Also, when the anniversary comes around, it sounds like: flowers, chocolate, Death Metal Concert
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra