Cytharai in New HE AB

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Sezax
Black Guard

Cytharai in New HE AB

Post by Sezax »

New HE AB does not say much about DE. But there are few interesting pieces.

Slaanesh is the greatest predator of the Elves. The retcon was retconed once more. Now Slaanesh has once more the (almost?) utter monopoly on Elves, or Elves once again have weakness for Slaanesh and not so much for the other three gods. They have retconed it in the way of 40000, Slaanesh takes (most?) elven souls, unless they save themselves through protecting fragments of Sentinel? Stones (you know those vortex obelisks on Ulthuan-waystones?) after which they reside in Vortex. It is stated, that Slaanesh desires nothing more than obtaining Elven souls.

Ereth Khial is mentioned twice. She is called the Pale Queen, she has out of spite stolen many souls to Mirai and now tries to steal more, altough its twice mentioned that she has to do it carefully right under nose of Slaanesh. It is also said, that she is seen as Mistress by most of the darker elven deities. Worshipping her is punished by imprisoment or exile and her devotess are seen as ,,freaks". When vortex fails she sends rephaliim to steal souls.

Asuryan is now even more resembling some monotheistic bigoted uncaring omnipotent and all-knowing yet nothing doing (except for punishing after not preventing ,,sins" and seperating mother from children etc.) Santa Claus rather then some Zeus or Odin.

Loec has no longer anything to do directly with dark magic and saves Elves directly from Slaanesh.

Morai Heg is now clearly a neutral deity, probably? neither cadai nor cytharai who much like rumpelstiltskin forces/manipulates other gods into deals with her, so they all owe her.

Oh and there are lot more female HE characters, a change welcomed by me.

Morathi is almost not mentioned at all in new HE AB (as are DE in general), Cults of Excess are now not directly stated to worship either Slaanesh or cytharai.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Cytharai in New HE AB

Post by Calisson »

I noticed that DE were presented more like hedonistic than sadist.
Makes sense that Slaanesh has so much success.
The Lore gets closer to WH40k.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Sezax
Black Guard

Post by Sezax »

I like that change, altough if I am to imagine WHFB as an experimental planet trapped in some warp storm, it seems very confusing to have Slaanesh already born and draining elven souls and elven gods still living and active at the same time...then again with the very nature of warp and chaos messing with time and alternative realities it seems excessive to care about it even to a super psycho nerd like me :D
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

They have books focusing more on the fluff of N'kari (or however it is called) which is a keeper of secrets. I suspect the change was either planned ahead or they simply are tailoring the fluff a bit to make it consistent with the black library books.

I'd partly blame the Cult of Khaine and Dark Elves that makes Slaneesh come out on top. You can simply remove the other Chaos gods by elimination. Chaos gods are still the enemy of the Elves. Which one would be their best fit as an opponent fluff wise? Which one would give you the most interesting plots without breaking down the nature of both parties?
Nurgle wouldn't be very elfish. Diseases, plagues, rotting limbs.. that's a story you'd take to Humans (black plague etc) rather than the Elves which are usually portrayed as overly clean, cared and cured.
Tzeentch? Maybe.. but he's too much about warping and changing things, where elves have an air of physical purity about them. Tentacles wouldn't fit them. Magic is something they already posses. It's not bad, but not fantastic. It would be the second best (and this is mildly hinted at in the Teclis and Tyrion trilogy)
Khorne? So Elves would become dark minded, cold blooded warriors who would like to murder and war all the time? Well hello there Dark Elves. Well hello there Cult of Khaine. The story would risk to become a reiteration of something already present in the fluff. With the nature of this one already embraced in the fluff, something is needed to set it apart. Furthermore, the strength of Khorne is in battle. It's good material to have in a war story, but usually you want to build stories where war is the result or part of the plot, not the plot itself.
Slaneesh.. now.. all those beautiful elves with increased senses and sensitivity make a juicy target. The cult of pleasure, considered evil by both High Elves and Dark Elves, with support in high places among the Dark Elves. Now there's room for intrigue. The natural graces of the Elves can be turned against them. A taint that remains from this Chaos god could linger for years, working with seduction and patience. It simply fits the bill.

Personally, I'm more into the Khaine culture myself but I simply see Slaneesh as a far more interesting opponent and subject for intrigue.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

I can't see in Warhammer Fantasy how Slaanesh is feeding specificly on elven souls (Although I'm not that much into the fluff as I used to be)... in the 40k universe, the Eldars ways gave birth to Slaanesh, but in fantasy I don't remember anything about Slaanesh targeting a race specificly.

The reason Elves would be more easily affected by the Slaanesh is because the elven nature is more related to the "sins" that Slaanesh feeds on. Khorne would be close to Khaine (Not sure what fluff is "correct" now compared to those two... Khorne was Khaine more or less the first time I heard about them). Tzeentch could be in combination with the relations to magic elves has, and finally Nurgle... Not many relations between Elves and Nurgle.

So, in fantasy the elves main weakness compared to the chaos gods, would be Slaanesh. The Humans would also have Slaanesh I guess, but the other chaos gods probably gains more on them than on the elves (Although Dark Elves and Khorne could have close relations if Khaine is just an aspect of Khorne... it seems though that the elven gods are deities on their own).

Oh, became best friends with Malekith... Time to execute my plans! :killed: Muahahhahaa!
Personal quote: "It's better to do little damage and lose nothing than to do lots of damage and lose everything."
Final tournament score for 7th DE book in 8th edition - W/D/L: 25/5/10
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

*My opinion* I think that out of all 'sins' Elves in general tend to lean closer to pride/envy/vanity. These fall more into the realm of Slannesh than any other. DE's in general take things further and fall pray to wrath/envy/pride, which again lends itself to Slaanesh with a hint of Khorne.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Personally, I'm more inclined for Slaanesh than for Khorne, but Hekarti beats them all. ;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

@Omnichron: It's mentioned in the big 8th ed book under chaos gods that slannesh enjoys corrupting the prideful elves the most. Weather he feeds on them is a different story.

It will be interesting to see how the other gods are portrade in this in the coming elf books.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra