One-wheel mystery solved

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

One-wheel mystery solved

Post by Calisson »

Now that we have the 360° pics, we can understand better how works the chariot's single weel:
gyro effect. See the technical explanations here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroscope

The wheel must be metallic, heavier than wood.
It is a very large wheel, so the angular momentum is very high once the chariot gains speed.
Note that the two charioteers can hardly move, so the overall balance is not much changed with their limited movements.
The chariot is therefore very stable as long as it goes steady. That's important for the harpoon and the RXBs.
As soon as it turns, the gyro effect tilts the chariot like a motorcycle, towards the inside of the curve.
The faster you go, the more you tilt, that's the reason why the steed-pulled chariot has no blade, contrary to the cold-one pulled chariot, which doesn't go as fast and therefore tilts less, which allows some more room for blades.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
stuaker
Warrior

Re: One-wheel mystery solved

Post by stuaker »

I can't believe that kind of makes sense... when the images were first leaked I spent ages looking at the Cold One Chariot trying to work out where the wheel was (it was a front picture only)... in the end I just decided it was a plough!
Started Warhammer with Dark Elves in 2002, stopped playing in 2005. Came back in 2013.
Other armies; Tyranids, Lizardmen
Main opponents: Slaanesh Daemons, Tomb Kings, Savage Orcs.
Anyone in New Zealand for games and trades?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

There's supposedly an interview with the sculptor in the latest WD that explains what made him do the design... does anyone own the WD and would be able to paraphrase the interview?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

Dalamar wrote:There's supposedly an interview with the sculptor in the latest WD that explains what made him do the design... does anyone own the WD and would be able to paraphrase the interview?
That is something I would really like to know as well. Must be a really good reason...
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Druchii are the risk takers of the Elven people; they just wanted a chariot that could fall over when it stopped because it seemed like a cool idea at the time.
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

Is that all there is? I was under the impression they still value life and (meaning their own) quite high. And the worst moment it not when they come to stop, the animals can keep the thing in the right position, but when a cloak gets caught in that wheel, or you tie that Hydra to it. Now that is really stupid idea. :mrgreen: Manly though. Not that I want to promote Ulthuan.net, but this thread inadvertently comes to mind. ;)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Dalamar wrote:There's supposedly an interview with the sculptor in the latest WD that explains what made him do the design... does anyone own the WD and would be able to paraphrase the interview?

I have the last 2 editions but not yet read them (too much to do!). I'll look it up.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

@ Aicanor: The funny thing is that in the DE book, the most manly troops using the criteria you linked are sisters of slaughter, followed closely by witch elves (who are pushed to the second place because of the cowardly poison). !lol!

@ Calisson: Damn you, now that I imagine the charioteers tilting in curves like motorcycle racers, I want the scourgerunner even more! !lol!
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

@ Marchosias, well, Beastmasters on their chariot seem to be close second. :twisted:

Daeron wrote:
I have the last 2 editions but not yet read them (too much to do!). I'll look it up.
That would be most appreciated. I am very curious what was the thought behind this unique invention. :mrgreen:
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Oliver Norman in WD Nov 13:

"...I though a lot about how the Dark Elves would build them and there was no doubt in my mind that speed, style and aggression were at the forefront of their minds when they designed it. The hull of the chariot is just like the hull of a ship, only one that sails across the ground. The shape of the hull was inspired by ancient chariot greek galleys and the traditional chariot yoke became more of a keel...

....the single wheel was an extension of the idea of the chariot as a land yacht - I imagined it as the stabilising fin of a ship, or the wheel of a motorbike. When racing yachts the competitors will use their own body to counter-balance the boat and ensure it doesn't tip over...

...the same thing applies to motorbikes..."

So, Calisson was right!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

sooo... we have land-boats? Well done, I expected Druchii boats to look a bit more... sharp I guess, the "bow" of this "boat" is almost completely round, how would that cut the waves?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

According to Wikipedia Gryroscopes were invented in 1852. That seems fairly advanced for Warhammer, but better than I expected.
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

Thanks, T.D., I enjoyed that piece of information.

Soo that means that if you put a Skycutter on top, you get a sternwheeler paddleboat. I need to get that patent.

"...I thought a lot about how the Dark Elves would build them and there was no doubt in my mind that speed, style and aggression were at the forefront of their minds when they designed it. ... When racing yachts the competitors will use their own body to counter-balance the boat and ensure it doesn't tip over...
...the same thing applies to motorbikes...
The style and aggression part being the crew having to jump over the wheel casing to counter-balance? Imagine that... And how exactly do you tie that Hydra to the back of a "motorcycle"? Adrenaline indeed. :lol:
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

T.D. wrote:So, Calisson was right!
:)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Drek wrote:According to Wikipedia Gryroscopes were invented in 1852. That seems fairly advanced for Warhammer, but better than I expected.

Warhammer does have its technological "anomalies" :P
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

I found this interesting piece of information on Wikipedia

As with bicycles, unicycles lack stability when stationary, and under most circumstances can only remain upright when moving. Experimentation and mathematical analysis have shown that a unicycle stays upright when it is steered to keep its wheel beneath its center of mass (inverse pendulum control theory). This steering is supplied by a rider. Long-standing hypotheses and claims that gyroscopic effect is the main stabilizing force have been discredited. Unicycles are also a nonholonomic system because its outcome is path-dependent. The problem of controlling a self-balancing unicycle forms an interesting problem in control theory.

And that is why it still doesn't really work. Although the intention was there. :) Maybe on a perfectly smooth surface of an arena it could provide some fun.

Source: Wikimedia