What would happen to Naggaroth if Malekith died?

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Scalenex1
Slave (off the Altar)

What would happen to Naggaroth if Malekith died?

Post by Scalenex1 »

Would Morathi take over? Could Malekith die without Morathi dying first?

Would the country split into independent city states and roving bands of Black Arks? Would the dark elves (over generations) become less dark without Malekith at the helm? Would Dark Elves in general still be anti-High Elf or would a post-Malekith society become more equal opportunity raiders?
All hail Malekith mightiest of all elves! He alone has Toughness 4.
Koller
Trainee Warrior

Re: What would happen to Naggaroth if Malekith died?

Post by Koller »

i think there would be a battle between Morathi and Hellebron
stuaker
Warrior

Post by stuaker »

Koller wrote:i think there would be a battle between Morathi and Hellebron

I imagine that would definately happen. Without Malekith keeping the Druchii relatively balanced, different factions would begin to emerge - those who support Morathi because she is heir to the throne as Queen Mother, those who support her as part of her chaos cult. Those who support Hellbron. Those who would support Morathi, but due to her chaos tendencies attempt to find an heir to Malekith more suitable in their eyes - and can't agree, inevitably splitting into several different factions. I imagine there would be cities that wanted no part at all in the fight, and would rather keep themselves to themselves until the infighting is over, or eternally. And of course those who, for various reasons, decided that the path of the Druchii was no longer for them... either fleeing to Ulthaun, to the Wood Elves, or to become pirates or merchants finding their own way in the world. Maybe a black ark, upon hearing of the civil war, would have infighting break out amongst its crew, the survivors not heading back to their homeland.

I imagine Assassins would be at a premium, taking out contenders to the throne.... the head of the Black Guard would have a large amount of support I imagine - though whether he would attempt to contend for the throne himself or support another candidate I don't know.

Would the High Elves, or anyone else, invade in this time of civil war? I imagine chaos would press south into Naggaroth, either a slaanesh army to support Morathi (directly or indirectly), or an army of Khorne attempting to take down her cult.

I think there could be a very cool army themed around this idea... maybe GW should write a novel where Malekith is believed to have died and we see the fallout from that (he'd have to come back and restore the status quo, of course, but it could bring some great fluff with it and maybe even some new units/characters).

Interested to hear what other people might think could happen
Started Warhammer with Dark Elves in 2002, stopped playing in 2005. Came back in 2013.
Other armies; Tyranids, Lizardmen
Main opponents: Slaanesh Daemons, Tomb Kings, Savage Orcs.
Anyone in New Zealand for games and trades?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Mod's note: moved to 'The History of Druchii'.
Calisson.

Back on topic, problem is that Malekith has no known heir.
In case he died, I'd expect Morathi, as regent, to set up a concil of the leading factions, and determine with them who is going to be selected for the throne.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I think the society would be more or less the same... But step by step degrade until a new and strong leader emerges.

Morathi could function as regent, but she wouldn't work as leader unless she'd be the religious leader. She struggles to function as the "front (wo)man", the leader that other Druchii would flock too. She does have power, she does have her followers, but she lacks the military and warrior aspect that was the foundation for the Druchii's birth.
In the Sundering, she's portrayed as regent of Nagarythe when Malekith's "away" but her strength comes largelly from manipulation and the use of religious devotion through the cults.

She could lead a cult, but in order to lead Naggaroth, either all the Druchii would have to become devoted to a cult or all city leaders and generals would have to be.

Hellebron could take the fight to Morathi, but I sincerely doubt she could take command of the Druchii. She's ambitious, she's dominant, but she's not the military strategist nor the political schemer you have to be to get the other positions of power under your wing. She's a powerful person, but would struggle to get the political alliance.

When you read the books of Malus Darkblade, you get a taste of how the politics in the upper circles of Druchii society work. Each city is a small kingdom on their own, with families fighting and playing their games to get the Vaulkhar's position. Within those families there's a fight to become the new head of the family and "inherit" the position of power under the Vaulkhar.
Among the cities, there is a enmity which tends to spark a battle every now and then. In this, Malekith plays a controlling force. He both encourages and forbids infighting, to ensure there would never be a war of too high a toll that could destabilize his position and at the same time to avoid alliances can be made that could destabilize his position :)

When Malekith would be removed, then a lot can happen at once. It would be an unstable position at best. On one hand, the moderating power that prevents large scale civilian wars would be gone and large wars between cities would be possible. On the other hand, alliances could be made for both the benefit and detriment of the Druchii society. Alliances permit better cooperation, but also larger scales of civilian wars.

In general, I think loosing Malekith will break the unison of the Druchii cities which all follow the pace of Malekith's mood. This may offer greater opportunities and greater risks for the cities who are now free to fight for their personal greatness, but as a whole the Druchii society would be weaker. They need a leader like Malekith to bind them, through fear and power, under that greater common goal: hating and destroying the High Elves.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I think the history section of the army book sets it out quite well. There was a long period after Malekith's disappearance into the warp during the battle of Finuvel plains where the King was missing and assumed by many to be dead. What transpired was intercine fighting (even more so than usual) and several prominent lords vying for the throne. Morathi went into seclusion rather than contest openly, though she was no doubt pulling many a string. Eventualy Kauron was able to restore a semblance of order after luring the 8 most prominent contenders to the throne room, locking the door and declaring a free for all. He ruled as regent with Morathi's support until big M came back.

Now what would happen should the Witch King be actually and obviously dead is a different story. There is always the Prophesy of Demise to consider. If true upon Malekith's death there would have to be a powerful noble with a large army in the picture, unless they destroyed one another. This unidentified person might have the ability to make himself King. More likely the cities would after a time prove near impossible to rule and become independent principalities.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

First thing we would to would be to jail and torture horribly Scalenex1. :twisted:
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Personally, I was sort of hoping that they'd kill Malekith off in the new book. It always seems to me that the Druchii are somewhat underdeveloped in favour of More Malekith Fluff, and live in his shadow. But, I think that they actually did a solid job in fleshing the society out in this book and integrated Malekith much more smoothly.

Drainial wrote:I think the history section of the army book sets it out quite well. There was a long period after Malekith's disappearance into the warp during the battle of Finuvel plains where the King was missing and assumed by many to be dead. What transpired was intercine fighting (even more so than usual) and several prominent lords vying for the throne. Morathi went into seclusion rather than contest openly, though she was no doubt pulling many a string. Eventualy Kauron was able to restore a semblance of order after luring the 8 most prominent contenders to the throne room, locking the door and declaring a free for all. He ruled as regent with Morathi's support until big M came back.

Now what would happen should the Witch King be actually and obviously dead is a different story. There is always the Prophesy of Demise to consider. If true upon Malekith's death there would have to be a powerful noble with a large army in the picture, unless they destroyed one another. This unidentified person might have the ability to make himself King. More likely the cities would after a time prove near impossible to rule and become independent principalities.

I've only ever seen the prophecy referred to, but never read in full. Can you link it?
Scalenex1
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Scalenex1 »

Calisson wrote:First thing we would to would be to jail and torture horribly Scalenex1. :twisted:

You'll have to wait in line. GW always keeps all the armies in stalemates because any major change would eliminate models they could sell. I'm thinking of writing a fluff piece that turns the Warhammer world on it's head forever and am planning to kill about half of the armies' rulers. Finnibar, Karl Franz, and Lord Mazdamundi aren't likely to survive either.

As for the prophecy of a male sorcerer killing Malekith, my interpretation is that Malekith is literally his own worst enemy. I'm thinking Malekith tries to undo the anti-Chaos vortex again and succeeds. Malekith once vowed to see Ulthuan destroyed rather than allow another pretender to sit on the throne. I'm thinking Malekith tries to interfere with the anti-Chaos vortex in Ulthuan and then releases Slaanesh who comes to claim his soul, and this time will not allow him to sacrifice his own people for it. Then proceeds to go after the elves outside of Ulthuan. I figure Tzeentch will manifest in the south and go after the Lizardmen and Tomb Kings. Khorne will go after the human nations (who Count Mannfred will move to defend and then use that to claim right of rule over them) and Nurgle will go after the Dwarfs, Skaven, Ogres and Greenskins. Naturally the Chaos Warriors and Beastmen will back up the demons.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Clockwork wrote:I've only ever seen the prophecy referred to, but never read in full. Can you link it?

I don't have a link but here it is.

"And lo, he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch upon every land. steel will be his skin and fire will be his blood, in hatred will be conquer all before him. No blade forged of man, dwarf of elf shall endure him fear. Though will it come to pass that the first son of noble blood shall rise to power. The child will be learned in the darkest arts and he will raise an army of terrible beasts. Thus will the Dark King fall, slain by neither blade nor arrow but by a sorcerous power of darkest magic and so shall his body be consumed in the flames and for all eternity burn."

If true said son of noble blood would certainly have to be a player.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The son of noble blood will be the offspring of Morathi and... Tyrion!

Cue the gasps.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

lol! Poor Tyrion.

But knowing the author of the tyrion and teclis novels.. he'll probably write "Tyrion smiles".
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Scalenex1
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Scalenex1 »

Dalamar wrote:The son of noble blood will be the offspring of Morathi and... Tyrion!

Cue the gasps.

Zoidberg: "I'm not hearing any gasping."
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Dalamar wrote:The son of noble blood will be the offspring of Morathi and... Tyrion!

Cue the gasps.

DUN DUN DUNNNnnnnnn.
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Morathi and Anerion reborn? Who says romance is dead?

Seriouisly, the last tiime she tried to hook up with him in the current book, it was funny. I think that would be the first romanic comedy set in the Warhammer universe.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I don't know about funny, she tried to summon the spirit of Aenarion to possess Tyrion's body, that's downright creepy bordering on necrophilia.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

We're talking about a game where the army that created the hellpit abomination and the army that has Gringor in it count as the comic releife armies in the game.

Yes it's creepy, but this is probabably the sanest thing Morathi has done in the last 7000 years.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Drainial wrote:
Clockwork wrote:I've only ever seen the prophecy referred to, but never read in full. Can you link it?

I don't have a link but here it is.

"And lo, he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch upon every land. steel will be his skin and fire will be his blood, in hatred will be conquer all before him. No blade forged of man, dwarf of elf shall endure him fear. Though will it come to pass that the first son of noble blood shall rise to power. The child will be learned in the darkest arts and he will raise an army of terrible beasts. Thus will the Dark King fall, slain by neither blade nor arrow but by a sorcerous power of darkest magic and so shall his body be consumed in the flames and for all eternity burn."

If true said son of noble blood would certainly have to be a player.

Thanks! So, are there any suspects? Is Teclis the first born? I bet its Teclis. Bloody Teclis.
Scalenex1
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Scalenex1 »

Clockwork wrote:
Drainial wrote:
Thanks! So, are there any suspects? Is Teclis the first born? I bet its Teclis. Bloody Teclis.

When wizards and warriors come from the same family, GW writers tend to like making the first born a warrior and the second born a wizard. Not that I like to be constrained by GW.
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Well, we could have their mother be a very brave woman and have both pop out at the same time (it's fantasy, screw the physics).