Good Novels Concerning the Druchii

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Nazgolith
Slave (off the Altar)

Good Novels Concerning the Druchii

Post by Nazgolith »

Hey there all,

Was wondering if anyone knew of any decent novels concerning our bloodthirsty friends?
I've noticed a couple written from the point of view of the HE but if anyone knew of any which were more personally involved with the Druchii i'd be very keen to know.

Thanks alot.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Good Novels Concerning the Druchii

Post by Amboadine »

Have you tried the Malus Darkblade books?

I have read better, but certainly read alot worse. They should give you a good insight into Druchii culture.
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

There's the malekith novel from the sundering trilogy aswell, it's decent enough and a way to get to know the history of our dread witch king in more detail and the rise of the druchii. the 2nd and 3rd novel is as you said from the asur point of view. I like the malus stories better though.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Heartshiver
Warrior

Post by Heartshiver »

As above, Malekith is not bad but it is technically pre-druchii. It is a nice insight into the man himself before he became the Witch King though, and although he may not have been a friendly individual, he did have both heroic and even generous moments.

The Tales of Malus Darkblade series though are pretty much the only true Druchii-specific novels. As said above, they aren't the pinnacle of fantasy literature but they are decent and I enjoyed them much more than R A Salvatore's Drow novels for example. They do add plenty of nice phrases and titbits for Druchii culture and I think by the fourth book they even include a glossary that's nice to have if you're doing any personal army fluff. One thing to keep in mind though is that not all of it is to be considered correct canon. For example they mention some characters having facial hair, which Warhammer elves don't grow, and one of the books takes place mostly in Har Ganeth but Hellebron is completely left out as head of the temple.

There is also a Gotrek & Felix novel (Elfslayer?) that I think has a sorceress as its' villainess. But I've never read it, so I have no idea how prominently she figures into it.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I've reviewed the malus darkblade book on my blog here:
http://furnace.orderoftheathanor.eu/?p=804
In short: chaotic and fun, and it reveals a lot on the Druchii mindset. But the book is sometimes a tad too random. The writers are... good writers.. but not the best.

And the Sundering book here:
http://furnace.orderoftheathanor.eu/?p=571
In short: very neat immersion into the general lore of the Elves pre-sundering. Some battles, sceneries, settings are described in such a manner that they beg to be built as on-the-table scenery and a replay. The writer is quite okay but I'm not impressed. In particular, I didn't find it a very strong depiction of Malekith's mindset. The story told is the story shared by High Elves and Dark Elves... so yeah, we get depicted as the bad guys for some dramatic reason or something.

I've been reading into the Tyrion and Teclis novels. Apart from a few details annoying me, it seems written by "better" writers than both the Sundering the Malus Darkblade series. It's a novel you could read without knowing Warhammer too well and still enjoy it like any other Fantasy story. It's predominantly from a High Elf perspective though.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

Another good book is the Gortrek and Felix novel Elf Slayer, loads of dark elf descriptions but the dark elfs are bad guys so lose.

There's a dark elf vs brettonia short story and Dark elves in the Brunner the bounty hunter novels

The war of the beard novel Master of dragons also has a lot of dark elves.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

The title "Elf Slayer" makes me a sad panda :cry:

Unless it's prefixed by "High" :twisted:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame