Raiding Party

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

serekth
Slave on the Altar

Raiding Party

Post by serekth »

I'm working on planning out my purchases for a Dark Elf army. But I had some questions about the typical raiding party and the units it would consist of. Here are the units I've been able to find that generally go on the dark elf raiding parties:

1. Corsairs (definitely)
2. Darkshards
3. Dark Riders
4. Warlocks
5. Repeater Bolt Thrower
6. Fleetmaster

I want my dark elf army to start off as a raiding party. I don't necessarily care which is better ruleswise or what makes a competitive army, I just want to start off with a raiding party.

If anyone knows more, I'd appreciate anything I could get! :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Raiding Party

Post by Amboadine »

For a raiding party those units are appropriate, plus the scourgerunner chariot to some extent. Could be raiding for monsters.
Just a tip however, get the Fleetmaster model by all means but never use the rules, use a standard Dreadlord and spec him the same.
Welcome to the forum as well.
serekth
Slave on the Altar

Post by serekth »

Awesome! Thanks for the help and the welcome!
Sarathalu
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sarathalu »

You might also consider a band of shades.
W/L/D
0/0/1
serekth
Slave on the Altar

Post by serekth »

Oh yeah shades too! What about karibdyss? Would that make sense?
Searinox Nagharha
Aspiring Brush Master

Post by Searinox Nagharha »

it wouldnt be far fetched, its a deep sea monster so if some1 is along for the ride that knows how to control such a beast it could just swim alongside the ship and beach together with it.
PLOG - The House of Corvus

Group 41- Name: Searinox Nagharha - Shade
WS:5 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Equipment: Long sword; Falchion (family heirloom), Very Good Sabre, Short sword, Dagger, Throwing Dagger (4) SeaDragon Cloak, Chain
Inventory: 30 gold (214 still to be paid), Silver Bracelet, several flagons: 1x Strength potion, 3x Courage potion, 3x Healing Potion.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Acrobatics, Basic Stealth
Karond
Dark Rider

Post by Karond »

Don't harpies fit with the raiding theme too?
"The call for blood can only be answered in sundered flesh"
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Depending on how hard core you stick on the fluff, you can consider more or less all the units.
Of course, the maritime units with a quest for lust are must-have;
the units with an expeditionary background are welcome.
But with some fluff modification, other units are possible.
For example, a medusa can be converted to a mermaid.

Must have (those with a clear maritime background):
Fleetmaster: obviously well adapted, except for its poor tactical rules.
Lokhir is definitively in.
Corsair (both options).
Kharibdyss: can swim along ships. Fluffwise, they would be attached to a beastmaster, or enchanted by a sorceress, or have developed an affinity with a fleetmaster.

Must probably have because of maritime fluff from previous editions:
Sorceress & SS on foot/on DS. Previous fluff said that sorceresses create appropriate weather condition for expeditions.
Assassin: fleetmasters were said to hire some regularly, to train sailors and make sure they don't betray.
RXBmen: I wonder whether previous editions did not include them as expeditionary troops?
RBT: naval artillery.
Harpies: said to fly along ships.

May have (not maritime, but fluff fine with expeditionary army):
Beastmaster: fine with scourgerunner, looking for new monsters.
Scourgerunner: hunting for new monsters - or will carry the booty.
Shadowblade can be used, he has operated often abroad.
DRand Shades. In scouting role.
Warlocks: they are raiders, but not for lust, so they cannot be said to be typical of an expedition.
Sisters: not for lust, but they would like exotic fights.

Might have (not maritime, no specific fluff for expeditions, but nothing against either).
Dreadlord: no opposition for dreadlord on foot/on DS.
Master: no opposition for a Master (including BSB) on foot or on DS.

Fluff to be adapted:
Possibly Cold Ones can hibernate? That would be useful for nobles on hackseer expedition. Malus has roamed the world. COK & COC on hackseer.
DH on foot: motivation is not lust but they would like to capture victims. WE with DH.
Tullaris has been known to lead expeditions abroad. Execs with Tullaris.
Medusa: convert them to mermaids. By the way, tactically, they seem more playable than people thought initially.

Harder fluff modifications required:
Manticore, dragon, pegasus, COB. Hydra. Shrine: must find a way to carry them. That would necessitate a Black Ark.
Malekith. Kouran. BG. Must explain why Malekith sends them.
Spearmen (city dwellers). Swordsmen (army components). Must explain why they enlist for an expedition.
Morathi. Hellebron. Must explain why they leave their estate.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

A topic I love and am spending some work on lately!

I'd like to add some notes to Calisson's (excellent) list. The first thing to note is that there are different kind of raiders and raiding parties.

- There's the basic black ship corsairs, who raid and enslave for a living usually led by a fleetmaster or a bunch of captains. They wouldn't have too many exotic items or units unless they hired it.

- According to the Malus Darkblade novels, highbourns have a ritual of making their first raid and profit from it. It is a bit like a ritual for coming of age. Of course, such a house might always have a sibling or two in the raiding business to generate a steady income for the family as well. Masters and Dreadlords can be a regular sight, but usually in small numbers (unless they are "allies" or family).

- There's the "black arks", the floating isles which roam the seas. In theory these can house any kind of army but they would have a Sorceress or a whole coven of magic to control the island. It is noted explicitly that these house all kinds of monsters in their hull as well, so the joint force of magic and monsters is implied once more.

- There are land raiders. These travel by land mostly, but can be part of a Black Ark or even be transported by ship and then settle on land for the "raiding season" (yes, they have seasons). They focus on survival on land. This is where Dark Riders and Warlocks come in. Shades would be commonplace here.

It could be noted that Shades used to be "Dark Elf Scouts", which in essence they still are. This makes them the most versatile unit fluff-wise. There is no reason to assume these couldn't be Corsairs with a scouting mission or a tribe hired by Corsairs.

Sorceresses
Calisson mentioned their weather forecasting abilities. Mages used to be employed on ships to help control the weather before the Sundering. The High Elves still practice this and consider this the "norm", if I'm not mistaken. The Dark Elf sorceresses could still be used for it but they also tend to be employed for:
- Countering the High Elf mages, if the ship plans to sail close to or raid Ulthuan shores (because they know enemy ships have mages)
- Helping to enslave creatures from the depths of the seas, as is noted in the Beastmaster fluff.
- Expeditions... which is actually important. It were lost and captured Dark Elf sorceresses that spread the necromancy which spawned the Tomb Kings and later the Vampire Counts.

Beastmasters and sea monsters
It would be convenient for a ship to hire a beastmaster who would lure a monster along. Why nurture and care for a monster for a long time if you can pick up a new one on your way, and send it to the enemy to cover your retreat?
This is not explicitly mentioned in the fluff, but it is implied that some monsters like the Kharibdyss are never really fully tamed. They are goaded into battle and then left to wreck havoc.

Medusae with or without shrine
Fluff wise they seem to have little in common and yet it somehow feels fitting. The reason isn't the fluff but the original Medusa and her connection to Poseidon. And the originally unrelated Naga do seem to blend in popular art.
https://www.google.be/search?q=Naga&tbm=isch

If you're adding monsters, they can be added too. Combined with the shrine, they can really expand your options in an army.

Pegasus
Calisson mentioned them as needing harder fluff modifications, but I would include them merely as an uncommon sight. It transports almost like a horse. That doesn't mean it's easy, but it's easy to imagine that a master or dreadlord (or sorceress) would take this kind of mount along. I think one can be justified easily enough.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Unless this is a Hawkseer cruise to test the metal of the graduating class of warriors and the sons and daughters of nobility (the former fighting prowess and the latter fighting prowess and leadership. I can see one, maybe a few more. That might also exhpain some Knights. Some.

Crossbowmen mainly for long sieges.

Witch Elves will be a a Black Ark Thing. Also they and executioners will be too blood thristy to bring anything back alive.

Black Guard also doubt. Maybe a fluffy background foroa lord's personal guard that fights like them or a captain's, but that is about it.

Chariots are also more of a black ark thing, or at least a lord's mount.

Manticors and dragons are again black arks only.
Sisters of slaughter may accompany some cruses, but that is because they get board in the arena and try a real battle. They ask for nothing in return, and the fluff in the book states they do not pursue fleeing enemies but go looking for enemy fighters to do battle with. A great boon for any captain or sea lord: Excelent fighters, fight on the cheap, take care of enemy elites.

The hydra was a water creature in myth, so maybe her as well (a big giant aligator) but as more of a living seige weapon.

Storm of Magic games:

Harpies: like regular, followed the ships.

Giants: Seige warfair and heavy lifting.

Stegadons: Beast of Burdon and seige weapon.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra