Sea stories - tell us the unbelieveable

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Sea stories - tell us the unbelieveable

Post by Calisson »

Avast, mates! (competition closed)
      ......--i~.-i~
      .-.i~..|)...|)\
      ../|\--|)\ .|)\ \
      .L | \.|).\ |)\ \ \
      .4======/¨¨
      ~~~~~~~~~~
Summer is the main raiding season, when scores of Druchii corsairs disguised in tourists roam the Earth and visit exotic places.
They capture anything, put it inside small cases named "cameras", and bring back home the World's most refined riches, leaving beyond only ashes, trash and despair.
Back in Naggaroth, an impressive tale is essential for an ambitious corsair leader to gain fame and power.

This thread is designed to be the repository of such tales.

.()_.._()..
      .{____}..
      .^^.^^
-=-=-

September 19th is Talk Like A Pirate Day!
D.net would like to encourage such fun tradition.

Set your Google preferences to Settings / Search settings / Languages / Show more / Pirate :mrgreen:
and write your own story! :D

-=-=-

Here is the little contest for all interested members of Druchii.net.

The contest is simple:
Write below a couple paragraphs, like if you were roleplaying, telling how went your last raid.
Any style should be acceptable. Bullet point list, story etc.
Just make it enjoyable for D.netters to vote for you. Usually a good short story is better than a long one.
:arrow: The use of pirate talk is bonus, for native English speakers.

-=-=-

Votes and Rewards:
If you wrote a story, you're entitled to make 4 judgements. End your post with your appreciation:
3 best stories: (insert 3 names: best, second best and next, worth 3 pts, 2 pts, 1 pt)
Worst story: (insert name, worth -1pt)

For those who wish not to write a story but would like to support the writers, you are allowed to post below and make 2 judgements.
2 best stories: (insert 2 names: best and next, worth 2 pts and 1 pt)

The participant totaling the highest count will earn the custom title "Admiral of the Druchii Fleet". 8)
The participant totaling the lowest count will earn the custom title "Bait for Kharibdyss". :x

The contest starts now.
Of course, you can edit your votes, until September 19th, in order to take into account later submissions.

On September 20th, the thread will be locked and the votes will be counted, adding all appreciations made about each participant.

-=-=-

Now it is up to YOU!
Tell us your own story, in a true, Druchii fashion. Anyone can write!

..___î__
        ..)))))))) ç
        .\@@@/
        ~~~~~~~

Post below! :D
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Sea stories - tell us the unbelieveable

Post by T.D. »

Landstalker, have you ever seen a sea of glass?

Where the might of an Ocean is so becalmed that there are no waves?

That is what we found at sunrise as our ships approached the coast of what the mortals call The Black Gulf. I took it as a sign from Mathlann. To the crew it was just an other ill omen on an ill starred journey across the Ocean from Naggaroth.

The fears of the crew began mid-journey when the auric lights of the North began trailing south across the skies. No longer visible only to the wych-sighted, the winds of magic pulsed bright in shining waves across the vault. And brightest of all was Shysh, the wind of death. Even the eldest amongst the sea elves had never seen the like. Dark whispers haunted our travail.

We officers paid less heed to the growing storm in the heavens than to our plans of rapine and plunder of the weak human realms of their south east.

Fleetmaster Yaerith was his usual confident self during the voyage, and I made sure to continually feed him complements of his greatness. 'Yaerith the Grand' was also 'Yaerith the Unbreakable' I told him. After all, hadn't he fought one thousand battles aside his hand chosen retainers unvanquished?

By the time our ships had reached the Black Gulf -- across seas that seemed streaked with rivers of dark blood flowing far below us in the depths -- and our landing parties had carried our Shade clan spies to gather intelligence, Fleetmaster Yaerith had invested considerable trust in me. After all, his authority in the fleet was absolute, and who would desert the magnificent fleets of Naggaroth for life in the hellish uncultured lands of the humans?

Gold coins brought word from the Shades to me before Yaerith. The human citadel we had targetted for our raid had already fallen! Fallen at the hands of an unearthly force of the unquiet dead marching from the Southlands; a force that stretched in never-before-seen numbers in a column from horizon to horizon.

I made my report to the Fleetmaster. It would be the utmost test of our naval resources and Druchii martial force to break the back of this unexpected opposition. He eyed me steadily. We both knew that returning to Naggaroth empty-handed, even in these exceptional times, would result in all of our official heads on stakes. But then I played my first card; the Shades had identified a mountain pass between the citadel and our beachhead, where we could make a stand against the unliving horde.

Yaerith and his most loyal Corsairs formed up in the centre, blocking the mouth of the pass. We had made our plans well. While he held the centre, I would use our spies' knowledge of the terrain to lead our cavalry through the high passes and create a double envelopment. The unsophisticated undead would fall like a tide on Yaerith, only to break on the rock of his resolve ...held in place for the power of our Cold Ones and War Beasts to crush their flanks.

"Yaerith the Unbreakable."

Perhaps my words were still echoing in his mind when he formed up with his most trusted retainers that morn. There was no sign of fear when the vanguard of the dark force appeared in view, led by a skeletal lord atop an unholy screaming terror beast of stone and skulls. Yaerith's Corsairs took the shock of the first charge of the dark forces. Perhaps they would have held had our cavalry arrived? However I had not led the cavalry, merely took a position on an overseeing bluff to watch the spectacle unfold while our heavy troops waited in the plains behind the pass. I had emptied my ancestral coffers to procure this arrangement, but by Mathlann it would be the finest card of my fledgling career.

Yaerith's overconfidence bore fruit. With elven speed he leapt and slashed at his skeletal adversary, splintering its ribcage. But elven speed was not enough against such a powerful adversary. Neither was the ensorcelled armour in which he invested such faith. The obsidian construct ridden by his nemesis clawed him out of the air and smashed him into the earth. So ended Yaerith. His Corsairs broke immediately, fleeing back through the pass as the cursed host pursued.

I smiled as I gave the signal to our Dark Riders and Warlocks to harry their advance while I took up position at the head of our elites.

The ravening hordes burst forth from the pass. They had already utterly annihilated our infantry. But I spurred the steeds of my scourgerunner to engage the head of the host. A bolt from my ravager harpoon hit the undead terror straight through the neck and I wheeled the chariot to drag it screaming into the dirt. On my mark our Karibdyssi surged onto the struggling terror in an earsplitting thunder of roars and earthshaking leviathan bodies. I faintly detected what I thought was a look of surprise on the ivory face of the undead general as his mount and his bones were feasted upon by our very own terrors from the abyss.

The Knights and Chariots crashed in unison into both flanks of the undead vanguard in a cataclysmic meeting of steel, bone and flesh. The shock of our massed charged broke them all into dust.

The plan I had talked through with Yaerith was coming to life. To beat an overwhelmingly outnumbering force you must split them into smaller sections and break each of these down individually in turn. But we had not engaged on the plain in front of the pass, as Yaerith's hubris and vainglory had believed, but behind the pass, using it as a funnel to channel, limit, concentrate and then expose the flanks of our foe.

Wave after wave of the enormous undead host passed through the defile, and each and every time our skirmishers engaged to draw them out before our hammers catastrophically hit their flanks in stunning synchronised unison. What a sight of unbridled beauty and ferocity! It was the epitome of the Druchii way of war and our morale rose and rose, as that of our enemy became increasingly disordered as their leaders were killed and their animating force, bit by bit, leached away into the dust.

By nightfall our forces had victory over the greatest opponent we had ever faced. Yaerith's most loyal sycophants had joined him in the underworld and the army turned to me, as highest ranking remaining officer and architect of our victory, to lead.

The undead may have already ravaged the human citadel and these lands, but they had no use of the human's steel or gold, nor the arcane weapons, jewellery and armour they had left behind in defeat; while we now had access to more booty than we could carry in our holds. I bid our troops to suck these lands dry before departing for home.

They asked to call me Fleetmaster.

I said, "Ney."

"Call me Captain."

1st -- Calisson "Thirsty Story"

This is a work of genius. Arresting from the beginning, and building tall tale upon tall tale. I love the way you've managed to weave so many disparate Warhammer references in to what is very much a "Sea Story". No way to tell it wasn't written by a native speaker.
It brings a Druchii theme to the famous shanty:
"What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor?" :P
...and so gets my top vote.

2nd -- Haagrum "For the Right Price"

"Doing a Kreol" with a stunning late entry! Professional quality writing and plotting, and as I've said before that is a talent that you should nurture given the ease of electronic writing & publishing at the current time. You could be the next E.L. James!

3rd -- Citizen Khaine "Slay for Khaine!"

An enjoyable story with great descriptions of the carnage. Nice set piece finale!

4th -- Fingol23 "Hakseer"

I really like this story, and I think you are unfortunate given that (1) D.net competitions tend to be high standard and (2) the low number of entries in this particular competition. I enjoyed the Druchii twist to the tale, and your use of language is very evocative despite the brevity of the story.

As I've said before I don't like voting for last place, but rules are rules:
Last -- Tarbo "A Navigational Exercise"

I actually think this is an excellent entry; inventive, charming and humorous. I think it would have fit very well in a 'Syjahel's List' type thread. But, moon missions aside, I was in the mood for more of a blood-and-thunder Corsair-themed tale. The other entries gave me that, whilst yours instead gave Druchii incompetence and failure :P
Last edited by T.D. on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tarbo
Morathi's Best Friend
Morathi's Best Friend

Post by Tarbo »

Most esteemed Dreadlord,
Lord of our Redsky Fleet,

It is with heavy heart and great regret that I must inform you of the failure of your meticulously planned raid on the occupants of our proper and rightful home, the motherland of Ulthuan. As your loyal subject, I took the greatest care to follow your directions to the letter, though I dare stoutly to make some observations and minor recommendations for future efforts.

• Dropping anchor at full speed is not a reliable way to make a quick turn. (I'm not really sure who convinced my most esteemed lord otherwise.)
  • Anchors so dropped may become entangled with debris at the bottom of the sea.
  • Owing to our many attempts to retake our rightful motherland, there is a lot of debris off the coast.
  • Your venerable flagship is indeed the largest vessel with the greatest troop capacity.
  • It takes several hours to bring all our troops and supplies to shore using rowboats.
  • The most esteemed Dreadlord is of course correct in stating that speed is of the essence.
  • Regrettably, nine out of ten consulted experts persist that making shore with our flagship would result in catastrophic structural damage.
  • Our flagship has suffered catastrophic structural damage.
  • The enemy indeed did not expect us to attack their most fortified position.
  • This did not noticeably improve our combat effectiveness.
  • The "little red floaties" off the coast are, in fact, "range buoys".
  • Range buoys are used by coastal fortifications to range their artillery.
  • Range buoys appear to make very poor rendezvous points for our forces.
  • Several of our vessels have suffered catastrophic structural damage.
  • The use of trained sea serpents to tow or push our vessels is well-practised in port.
  • Sea serpents swim faster than our vessels do.
  • Yet, leashing sea serpents to our vessels led to an effective speed reduction of thirty percent.
  • Sea serpents are horrible navigators and unlikely to stop and ask directions.
  • Sea serpents also chase after food when hungry.
  • Some food attempts to escape by racing to the bottom of the ocean.
  • The diving ability of a sea serpent surpasses the floating ability of our vessels.
  • Our vessels are not designed to be submergible, and perform poorly underwater.
  • Our fleet has successfully executed the new battle maneuvers devised by my most esteemed lord.
  • We learned that the new maneuvers did not cause an appreciable amount of confusion with our enemies.
  • We also learned that these maneuvers resemble sea serpent mating dances.
  • Several of our vessels have suffered unusual structural damage.
  • For "causing incredible disruption to an enemy attack, thereby maintaining the safety of Ulthuan and its people," the enemy garrison commander has formally awarded my most esteemed lord with the Distinguished Cross for Meritous Service.
  • We have suffered no casualties.
  • Our raid has scored us several complimentary fruit baskets and a selection of items from a local souvenir shop.
  • The enemy commander has offered to tow our vessels back to our home port free of charge.
  • I have successfully negotiated that she sail without flag and drop us off a few miles from port.
  • Considering far-reaching damage to our vessels, we deem it worthwhile to consider this offer.
  • It is my humble opinion that we publicise our raid as a navigational exercise.

Signed,
Your most faithful servant

Votes
  • 1stCalisson. Love the segue from believable to eyebrow-rising to... well... rainbows and moon-people.
  • 2ndHaagrum. Very nice back and forth!
  • 3rdT.D.. Great description of the ill omens and foreboding.
  • lastFingol23.
Last edited by Tarbo on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yay, a new short term rpg option. Thanks Calisson! I look forward to writing something :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Fingol23
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Fingol23 »

Hakseer

The slave decks were quiet now, the howls of anger, shock and sadness had faded as they crossed the Great Ocean replaced instead by the dull silence of despair. It was a pity really for the cries had been an audible reminder of his success. With just a single ship at his command, and a modest one at that, Drakir had reaped a considerable tally in flesh from the Empire province of Nordland while eluding its clumsy armies at every turn. He had struck first at the village of Pugsblatter netting a modest catch of slaves but allowing many of the frightened peasants to flee to seek aid from their lordly masters. Despite the barren pickings to be had Drakir commanded his corsairs to burn and loot all that could be found on the peninsula. It was only when his scouts reported that a human army had marched from Salzenmund to oppose them that Drakir ordered his men back to their ship.

But they did not return to Naggaroth, instead they sailed south to strike the town of Handelsee. Normally the town stood protected by the might of the capital, a series of beacons linking it to Salzenmund had been built following its sack by another Druchii raid some thirty years before. But when Drakir’s ship appeared from the evening mist and the beacons were lit the Elector’s army was elsewhere, scouring the devastated village of Pugsblatter. Virtually unopposed Drakir sailed into the town’s harbour and unleashed his crew upon the town. His corsairs swiftly overcame the militia and watchmen who rushed to oppose them and spread through the harbour district in an orgy of slaughter and loot. Before dawn rose Drakir had led his ship from the harbour and back onto the open waves, its hold bursting with some three hundred slaves. It was a mere fraction of the town’s population but more than enough to earn him a modest fortune independent of his mother’s charity and insure he won some small renown amongst the nobles of Clar Karond. Afterall a Hakseer cruise was as much a test of worth as it was a profit making exercise.
Last edited by Fingol23 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIP First War Against Chaos Expansion
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... e7da5c4719

WS3 / S3 / T3 / D4 / I5
Skills: Basic Stealth
Items: Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

The scuffling sound behind him and unmistakable stench of Skaven caught his attention, turning he enjoyed the sight of one of the vermin held firmly in the grip of two Shades. They had secured it with meat hooks and chains through both arms and had hamstrung the beast so it couldn’t escape.

“Captain, forgive the intrusion! We snared this specimen while scouting the western shore and after playing with it discovered it some useful information.”

“Spit it out then, but make it quick.”

“Yes sir – it was part of a larger Skaven raiding party coming from Durnholt, they had slaughtered the village there and made off with a relic of some power. They have holed up in the village 5 miles from here to prepare for a retribution force sent by the Bretonians. This one apparently thought to stash some of the gold in the woods out of town for personal gain; that is when we trapped it.”

“How big is the Skaven army?”

“We estimate about a 100 strong, but there might be a rat Ogre sir.”

“Hmmm excellent work! Give it to the Hag to find out everything, she does enjoy her work. Assemble the unit commanders on deck in 5 minutes; we have little time to plan”

….. a few minutes later .....

“Commanders, we have an opportunity for mayhem and profit! The Skaven have holed up in a village 5 miles west of here, I expect they have killed and looted it by now, but they have a sum of gold and a relic I desire. More importantly they are expecting a contingent of knights to attack at dawn, this give us 6 hours to bet them to it.”

“Send 20 Dark Riders to secure the perimeter of the village, Shades will infiltrate and remove the sentries when I command . The Corsairs will attack in a pincer movement, the Krakens Blood and myself will attack from the North, while the Black Wave and our Hag will attack from the South.”

“There may be a rat ogre in the Skaven force so the Reaper crew will assemble on the grassy knoll overlooking the town.”

“Finally, leave none of our dead or any Druchii equipment behind! When we withdraw, scatter these High Elven arrows and shields among the Skaven dead. The Bretonian knights will assume our traitorous kin aided them this day, but then will discover the relic gone. They will declare a holy war on them and hunt down any High Elves in the region as we carry our spoils back to Naggaroth!”

At that moment the Hag sauntered in followed my 2 crew dragging the barely alive Skaven. The crew eyed her appreciatively as she walked, they were careful not to let her see. Her bed partners didn’t have a long life expectancy.

“Captain” she said “I can confirm the rat ogre is part of their force, it was difficult to follow it guttural speech when it screamed so beautifully, but it is true”

“Excellent, we have a plan for that creature”

With that the Hag spun around knives flashing and sliced open the chest of the Skaven captive and with fingers deep in the wound she parted the creatures ribs wide. Turning to the Captain she nodded her head.

The Captain plunged his right arm into the chest cavity and tore the beating heart from it's chest. Holding the pumping organ high he yelled.
“By Khaine’s Bloody Hand, slay with hatred, slay with skill but most of all slay for Khaine!”

“AARRRRRRRRRR” screamed the crew as they flowed from the ship. Victory was already assured.

1st — TD
2nd — Calisson
3rd — Tarbo
last — Fingol23.
Last edited by CitizenKhaine on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Thirsty story.

The old sailor barely looked at the newcomer, not paying much attention to his luxurious attire.

Milord, you may have inherited from a wealthy and famous family. But you know nothing about what awaits you at sea.
Curse Estreuth, if my throat was not so dry, I could tell you more about the dangers you will face… Arr, thank you so much, Milord. May Hukon provide you his favors.

You know, I have been at sea for a long while. My strangest voyage, it was onboard "the Hungry Gaze". The cap'n was Kireth Snakeskin, a tough fellow. We belonged to the Fleet of Admiral Duriath Helbaine himself! For the first two months, it went quite well, mostly uneventful. We managed to plunder a convoy going to Estalia. Buckets of gold stolen from Lizardmen! However, the Admiral decided to go further South. At some stage, we reached unexplored parts of the Sixth Ocean. After three weeks, Mathlann went mad. We came across real mountains of ice. Waves were so high that I swear I even saw the belly of a whale. Our cap'n decided that the lost islands of Elithis were not worth our lives. He left the armada with the intention to come back to Naggaroth.
At the time, we had exhausted our provisions of food and drink, not even a drop of fresh water was left… just like my mug, you see…yeah, it’s much better like that, thank you Milord.

Sailing alone is not the best thing to do. Especially not near the coasts of Lustria. One night with full Moon, suddenly all wind ceased. Emerging from the fog, we saw a ghostly ship coming towards us. It was "the Shadewraith". Yes Milord, the dreaded frigate of the ghost captain Vangheist. Our reapers could not harm it. We could not escape it. We were doomed. "The Shadewraith" cut across our hull with no noise. Our ship sunk in less than two minutes. I was saved only because I managed to grab an empty barrel.
Usually, I hate empty barrels, bottles, glasses, mug… Ahh, well, I don’t hate mine anymore, thank you.

I spent two atrocious days, barely floating in icy water. Then I saw a sail on the horizon, coming towards me. Unfortunately, that was "the Kalendirian II". I was now captured by the fleet of Aislinn. Yes, Milord, he is alive. The only reason he didn't kill me was because he wanted me to report to Admiral Lokhir Fellheart about his survival. In my jail, I had barely anything to eat and drink.
Oh, Milord, my thirst was awful, when I think back about it, really awful… Ooow, thank you so much Milord, you ease my pain.

But suddenly the ship rose above the sea level. You cannot imagine what can be so huge as to be able to grab a four mast sailing ship like "the Kalendirian II". It was a Kharibdyss. But not the normal kind you might have seen in a battle. Nooo, Milord, this one was the Mother of all Kharibdysses. I had barely few seconds to see it half raising above the sea: it was full white. Its mouth was so large that whole chunks of the broken hull were swallowed in no time. I was inside one of these. I found myself unhurt, but in the darkest of all caverns. The smell, argh, it was worse than Hell. In the beast’s stomach, that's where I was. Nearby were floating the remnants of the ship. And all kind of Elven corpses. Slowly dissolving in the stomach’s liquids. That was the most awful experience of my life.
As bad as being thirsty… well, at least you know how to ease that sort of pain, don’t you?

I had nothing to do but to wait for Ereth Khial to claim my soul. So I explored the cave. The animal dissolves nearly everything. But there were some artefacts which resisted. Only much later did I understand that magic items would resist the alteration of the beast’s acid. I found a banner large enough to contain me. I managed to stay away from the deadly liquid.
The kind of liquid which cannot be drunk, unlike… unlike… hey, no more? … Ahh, thank you Milord.

Among the objects which refused to be digested, I found an intriguing piece of cloth. It appeared to be a rug or a carpet. I did not find it immediately because it was floating above the liquid. Yes, flying! I managed to climb on it. That was fancy! After a while, I understood how to make it move. This allowed me to climb inside the neck of the beast at will. I did it several times. However, every time, the K-beast would swallow fishes and ships and I would be repelled back in its stomach. After several attempts, I finally managed to flee free out of its mouth. I was so afraid to be captured again that I flew high, high and higher. It was at night. The carpet went so high that it pinned itself on the low corner of the Moon. The carpet was shred and could no longer hold me. I had to explore the Moon. The Moon is large. Much larger than a ship, you know, Milord, really huge. It is so large that it took me a while to find the first sea. Nobody would accept to drink the pale content of the seas that you find on the Moon. But I had no choice, there was nothing else that could be drank.
And I really had to drink. To drink anything… Oh yes, you’re right. Here at least we have much better liquids to taste. Thank you so much.

I met the Selenites. That's the Moon’s inhabitants. Very courteous people. But they are so dumb that they don’t even know how stinky rich they are. They live in houses made of diamonds. The only metals they know are gold and mithril. Stupid as they are, they know no slavery. Despite they take no pleasure to watch someone else’s pain, they could not tell me any way to go back to our Land. I lived on the Moon long enough to see it become twice dark then shiny again. Then I had the first opportunity to come back. T'was a comet with two tails. One tail came so close to the Moon that I could grab it in a hurry. I had no time to take with me any piece of the immense riches I had found there.
How deeply do I regret it! I would have money to buy me some drink… Well, you at least, you can afford me some drinks. Thank you Milord.

The comet was lacking the carpet’s comfort. But it brought me back close to Land. As soon as I saw a rainbow leading to the ground, I jumped on it. I rolled, tumbled over, and finally fell on a tree. Ladrielle be blessed. Then I had to walk across a forest. Took me two weeks before I arrived to the shore. Three more weeks waiting. Then a ship passed by and stopped to make water. Fortunately, it was one of ours. The "Swordfysh", commanded by Lady Aranessa Saltspite. Blessed be her two sea peglegs, I was not tortured. They were heading towards Karond Kar. This is where they dropped me.
Dropped... like that last one.

Ohhh yes, everthing is true! Morai-Heg may decide my future but she cannot change what has happened already.
But why are you leaving? Milord! My glass is empty! Don’t you want to know more?

-=-=-

EDIT. Sources:
Estreuth, Hukon, Mathlann, Ereth Khial, Ladrielle, Morai-Heg: DE AB p.34.
Hungry Gaze & Kireth Snakeskin: RPG groups 41 & 42.
Duriath Helbaine, lost islands of Elithis: Previous DE AB p.16.
Shadewraith & ghost captain Vangheist, Swordfysh & Lady Aranessa Saltspite: Dreadfleet (GW game).
Kalendirian & Aislinn: DE AB p.29 (and HE AB telling he is alive).

-=-=-

Edited (as of 18 Sept):
3 best stories:
:o Haagrum "For The Right Price" (3 pts), very entertaining, well written, intriguing... and good catch of Druchii & Corsair spirit!
:lol: Tarbo "A navigational exercise" (2 pts), surprising, full of humour, very nautical, a delight.
:) T.D. "Call me captain" (1 pt), an excellent story perfectly in line with Druchii mentality.
:sick: Worst story: Fingol23 "Hakseer" (-1pt), orthodox Druchii mentality, but not the kind of reading that I find thrilling.

I wished I could read more. Where are all the Brothers of the Coast?
Thank you for the participants.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Three days left!
Time to cast your vote!
If you wish to submit, that's still possible.
Scythe
Death Night Survivor

Post by Scythe »

I may find some inspiration to write a submission before the deadline, but for now I will at least cast votes!

2 points to Calisson
1 point to T.D.

Both are wonderful, but I believe Calisson captured more of the piratey nature of the contest.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

For The Right Price: A tall tale of depravity, greed, treasure and a deadly curse

For most captains, Karond Kar is the port of choice to unload a hold groaning with plunder and slaves. The markets are larger, the buyers plentiful, and the return journey is quicker. A citadel mounted atop a barren rock battered by freezing gales and fierce waves, Karond Kar delivers the further joy of watching the faces of the shackled and benighted wretches dragged from the uncertain sanctuary of the galleys. Whatever hope remains in their souls is extinguished within seconds as the weakest among them are driven into the icy waters, while the rest are appraised as mere beasts of burden or offerings to Khaine.

Ordinarily, I would be driving our captives along the docks. I would be savouring every moment of their suffering, laughing with every indignity inflicted. This day, however, a special commission awaits the bounty we bring back to Naggaroth. A treasure too rare and too valuable for the Slaver’s Gate. Despite Karond Kar’s attractions, they cannot compare to the decadent indulgences Hag Graef can offer, and only a true epicurean will have the sense and wealth to fully appreciate this morsel.

My client, Toral Shadespite, the Paragon of Sin, controls the largest establishment given to the worship of Atharti in Naggaroth. For a paying customer, no pleasure or vice is unavailable within its halls. My corsairs need little encouragement, and I give them leave to disperse. No doubt some will never leave this place. Killing one’s customers is bad for business, but many pleasures are found less than a knife’s edge from the precipice of oblivion, and my warriors have not enjoyed such comforts in months. Despite temptation, I push my way through perfumed chambers, past feast-halls and rooms echoing with depravity. I have more pressing business.

Shadespite greets me in his “working quarters”, a small but decadent room guarded by two halberd-wielding brutes. Despite our past dealings, I keep the respectful distance of three sword-lengths. Shadespite dislikes the interruption, despite his obvious greed for what I have promised him, and gets straight to the point.

“Catering for the lusts of a city is demanding work, corsair. What is it that warrants my personal attention?” he asks flatly.

In response, I reach a gloved hand into the pouch below my cloak. Shadespite’s guards instinctively stiffen, but are stilled by an arched eyebrow from their master. Pausing a moment to give the impression of fear, I draw out the book and throw it to Shadespite, who catches it gracefully in one well-manicured hand. As I speak, he inspects his prize.

“The Liber Chaotica. One of the few extant copies to survive, I understand. One human’s account of his journey through the realms of the Dark Gods. Including the shimmering alcazar of the Dark Prince himself.”

Shadespite hides his surprise and avarice well, but not well enough. “I am to take your word that such a prize merely fell into your hands, am I? How did you come by such a treasure?” He wants to believe it. He just needs the right story.

“We plundered the coastlines of the lands the humans call Tilea and Estalia, before striking deeper into Bretonnia. They were in a panic, even before we arrived – the slaves we took kept talking of the End of Times or some such nonsense. Apparently, the undead are attacking across the Old World, while the savages of the north are massing for invasion. With their defenders off winning glory and dying in the mud elsewhere, they were easy prey, but there was one we encountered who was... different.

“He was bearded, and defiant. He had the whiff of madness about him, and a tattoo of a twin-tailed comet across his breast. He likely would have made a terrible slave, but he saved us the trouble of having to decide the matter by producing a battered staff and a weathered tome. He started screaming what I presume were blasphemies, by the reaction of the others we had taken. I simply shot him in the stomach as I walked towards him. I have always been one to believe the truth of the dying words of the weak, when their hope of salvation turns to ashes.”

Shadespite was leafing absent-mindedly through the book. There was a sharp intake of breath as he reached what I assumed was the account about the six circles of seduction.

“He was defiant until the end,” I continued. The truly desperate ones always are. “He made no move in his defence, merely clutching his precious book, wondering why they had forsaken him as his life’s blood spilled into the dirt.”

Shadespite looked up with a sly grin. “The fool thought his life a suitable price to pay for this book. What price would you have of it, hmm?”

I told him. Shadespite looked amused for a heartbeat, before realising that I was serious. His face contorted into a furious sneer.

“Clearly you value your life even less than the fool you took it from. Kill him!”

Shadespite’s guards move towards me. I take a step backward, raising my hands defensively.

“Before you act rashly, m’lord, you might look at your hands.”

Shadespite stops, then shouts in horror. A creeping purplish-pink colouring has crawled up his fingers where they have touched the book. His guards freeze in their approach, halberds levelled, but waiting for an order.

A good pirate always knows the right time to spin a tale. I’ve made my living from that skill, as much as from my work with a blade and a billhook.

“That old fool did understand a few simple cantrips. He knew how to bind the power of his own blood. He invoked a terrible curse with his dying breaths – that none but him might touch this book without his soul feeling the cold grasp of the Dark Gods. In that spell, at least, his patrons seemed to hear him.”

The smug veneer was gone now. Shadespite looked terrified.

“A sorceress might be able to remove the curse, but you may not have long enough for them to work through the spell. Have you ever seen one of the Doomfire Coven succumbing to the soul hunger? It only takes a few days for the runes to cover the skin, and it can be... excruciatingly drawn-out, watching a warlock perish wreathed in the Dark Prince’s passionate flames. Of course, they know how to delay that process, m’lord, but you...” I let the full gravity of the situation sink in. Shadespite is watching me with desperate, hateful eyes. “Well, a man in your position needs the services of a spell-caster with uncommon knowledge of such magics. Someone who has had time to study the curse. My ship’s sorceress, Tala Lightsbane, perhaps.”

Shadespite suspects a trick, I’m sure. He thinks he’s seen the flaw in the tale. Regaining a shred of his composure, he snarls out his last desperate play, even as the purplish-pink lines begin to resolve into small runic shapes on his hands.

“And how is it that you are not afflicted? You handled the book a moment ago, without effect. This is a trick, a ruse to save your miserable life!” His guards heft their weapons as I raise my tanned-hide-covered hands again for Shadespite to see. The comet tattoo is clearly visible on the left glove.

“Humans do not think through their curses," I respond. "There was an obvious loophole. None but him may touch it. He would have been a terrible slave, but he made excellent gloves.”

That does it. Shadespite’s defiant stare breaks, replaced with a flooding tide of desperation. I smile – despite the halberds less than two sword-lengths from my heart – and continue.

“You will receive the counter-spell after I am satisfied with your payment. Have it delivered to my men on the docks. I am sure they will be pleased to see you after their time here. You can trust to my discretion about tonight’s events, much as you have always been able to trust that I do not cheat my customers. Until then, m’lord... happy reading.”

I incline my head slightly, mockingly, exulting in the moment of humbling the Paragon of Sin in his own chambers, before sweeping out of the room. Shadespite will pay up. He can’t afford the risk of being wrong, or guarantee that a counter-curse could be found in time. For him to be seen treating with one of the Doomfire Warlocks would be to court a painful execution. Hag Graef is full of ambitious scuts seeking Malekith’s favour, all of whom would sell Shadespite out in a heartbeat.

I allow myself a small smile as I leave the establishment. The story of how we came across the Liber Chaotica is mostly true. The book is genuine, too – I am not foolish enough to try to cheat someone like Shadespite. I did take it from an idiot human madman who thought his dark masters would save him from the Druchii. The same fool did make fine gloves. The curse, though, was entirely my idea. Someone with the interest and the means to pay for such a treasure could obtain it far more cheaply through my death than by what passes for honest bargaining. In return for a cut of the profits and being allowed to copy the text on the return trip, Tala used a stubborn but simple glamour of her own devising to inflict the illusion of the Warlocks’ curse on anyone who touched the book with their bare hands. I think she was as amused as anyone at the idea.

Shadespite will eventually learn the truth, but the experience will teach him caution. He will not be pleased about the deception, or that he fell for it so completely.

But then, it's a poor pirate that cannot spin a tall tale.

---------
3 best stories (in order):

3 points - Tarbo. Absolutely hilarious stuff, and a hard act to follow.
2 points - Calisson. Again, very funny, exactly the sort of BS tale a rum-soaked sot would spin for another drink.
1 points - TD. Would have been higher, except for the obvious swipe at the Fleetmaster. :P

Least-favourite story: Red..., but only because I felt it was too short.
Last edited by Haagrum on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Ahoy mates!

September 19th is Talk Like A Pirate Day!

...and it's your last day to cast a vote.
Thread will be locked tomorrow.

Please encourage today those who wrote sea stories for your entertainment! :P
Everyone can vote!

Yarrr!
Telrunya
Shade

Post by Telrunya »

I'm just posting to thank the people who wrote these stories for our entertainment. It might sound like an empty statement, but I did like all the stories here. However, I want to reward the two stories I liked best.

First place (+2 points): Tarbo.

A great mix between "spelling it out" and "leaving it unsaid." It conjures images without spelling it out. It reads fluently despite the protagonist's attempts to be indirect. A pleasure to read and to re-read.

And probably closest to the lore as envisioned by Games Workshop ;)

Second place (+1 point): Calisson.

Hard to start because of all the names (I am not all that familiar with the Druchii background). At the beginning, I was wondering what the point of the story would be, and I was entertained by the protagonist's incessant asking for more drinks. I loved the growing realization that those lines were the point of the story. Good execution of a good idea. Kudos.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Sadly, time got away from me and I didn't have time to write a piece. Nevertheless, this is clearly another excellent example of casual fluff stuff at it's finest and I very much enjoyed reading through the entries.

1st place: T.D. - Excellent use of language, really conjured up the images very firmly in my mind.
2nd place: Tarbo - very finely done and very humorous.
3rd place: Calisson - a very entertaining and imaginative story.
Last place: Me - for failing so miserably to produce an appropriate fable for the occasion. I had been thinking of doing something with a slightly tongue in cheek theme related to the hunting of an Asur Sailing Ship (A.S.S.), but sadly t'was not to be. Until next time landlubbers ;)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Having heard all the stories, admiral Duriath Helbaine moved one finger.
His trusty bodyguard and adviser Kehltrai bowed and came close.
What they exchanged with a soft voice, nobody could tell.

After agonizing minutes, the young executioner went to CitizenKhaine and Red... and showed them the door, without a single word.
Red... blushed and started an apology, quickly muzzled by Kehltrai's gaze. Looking behind his shoulders, he quit with no glory, relieved to remain intact and free.
CitizenKhaine frowned and came close to explode, but he was no match and turned on his heels. His curses were just not loud enough for the audience to have to react.

Soon after, the young advisor spoke with a loud, authoritative voice.

"T.D. and Haagrum, the Admiral was pleased to hear your reports. Come back next year with a worthy booty and he will hire you for his next expedition, led by his capital ship, the Black Ark Temple of Spite."
The two corsairs bowed respectfully, understanding that their performance was apreciated but not sufficient to win respect from the most seasoned of all Druchii admirals.
After they had left the palace, they looked at each other. No word was needed. A cozy tavern provided them seats and drinks.
Then they started to talk serious business.
"So this pitiful carniv-admiral and his laquais gave us one year? More than enough to deceive him...."

Kehltrai turned to Tarbo. Even if no smile corrupted his face, a bright eye denoted his relaxation.
"Tarbo, you have proven your worth to be much higher than your Lord of the Redsky Fleet. Just a useful advice: keep yourself ready... an accident might happen sooner or later to your master."
The seasoned corsair replied: "Drakira knows how faithful I am to my Master! May Morai-Heg take personally charge of his safety."
Tarbo bowed for as long as he needed, for the joy on his face not to be seen. Then he left.
Nobody in the assistance objected that the goddess Morai-Heg was highly versatile and the goddess Drakira was better suited to patient revenge causes.

Kehltrai approached Fingol23 and wrapped his arm around the corsair's shoulder, leading him towards a secondary door where both of them vanished, not to be seen again.

Only when the two of them were left alone did Beltaine raise the voice.

"Come closer, Calisson my friend.
Tell me more about this white giant Kharibdyss and the magical content of his stomach, and overall about these Selenites and their riches..."

.......-|\~
        ...\ ~-| \
        ...|\ . / . \
        .r/_\ /___\ ç
        .\=====/¨
        ~~~~~~~~

-=-=-

Six entries were not that many, but by Mathlann! What a great quality!
Telrunya and Red... summarised well the achievements of the participants: :D
Telrunya wrote:I'm just posting to thank the people who wrote these stories for our entertainment. It might sound like an empty statement, but I did like all the stories here.
Red... wrote:this is clearly another excellent example of casual fluff stuff at it's finest and I very much enjoyed reading through the entries.

The votes gained totaled:
Calisson 13
Tarbo 10
T.D. 7
Haagrum 7
CitizenKhaine 1
Red... -1
Fingol23 -3

I may therefore grant myself the tilte "Admiral of the Druchii Fleet" :P , while Fingol23 is bound to become "Bait for Kharibdyss"; :? please PM me to confirm it is suitable.

Thank you for all participants, including those who just voted.
Fair winds and following seas to all true corsairs! 8)

Thread unlocked, open for further comments if you wish so.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Calisson wrote:I may therefore grant myself the tilte "Admiral of the Druchii Fleet" :P

Please do! It is very fitting for the leader of the Brotherhood of the Coast!

"Oh Admiral! My Admiral!"

*Salutes!*

Also:

Sea Story Bonus 1: Bosun Snoo retells the Fall of Yaerith!

"AAAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr! Gather round, gather round, me swabbies!

I will regail ye with the tale o' our late Fleetmaster, Yaerith the Grand!

Tall he was, and proud, with a streak o' white cross his maned head. Cruel as t' Sea o' Claws, capricious as t' Vampire Coast!
T' jaws o' Naugrath -- a Great White he had sent t' Davy Jones' locker wi' his bear hands -- round his neck and a gleamin' breastplate o' magical power across his chest!

Some said he could never be defeated. None remembered when he first came t' command this Black Ark, so long ago was it!

Even t' might o' t' human Empire's Hellhammer Theoderic's Pride could not stop him. After t' Battle o' t' Nord Sea, he laughed at our Dark & Life Sorceress and fixated a deadly cutlass blade onto t' stump o' his leg. He would not forget t' lesson t' blackpowder had taught him, and took his wounds as a chance t' wield yet another weapon. Such was t' vengeance and murderous fury o' our Fleetmaster!

It was on our last voyage t' t' East World that his greatest test came; Throughout our passage east, dire portents appeared in t' Heavens and in t' Seas. When we reached landfall and our prey ...Behold; t' went t' Davy Jones' locker had Risen! A mighty force o' a size not seen in this age o' t' world had risen up in t' human lands!

Yaerith led our forces t' meet t' unlivin' sgrog, blockin' t' only pass leadin' t' our beachhead with Corsairs proud.

As a Twin Tailed Comet sped across t' skies, a mighty creature o' obsidian and bound souls appeared at t' head o' t' Unwent t' Davy Jones' locker force, ridden by an ancient Liche Kin'. It stretched a bony fin'er out at Lord Yaerith, t' which t' Fleetmaster merely nodded.

Roarin' t' Beast came, and rapid did t' Fleetmaster leap, his cutlass rendin' t' Liche across t' breast. Aft and forth our leader leapt with quicksilver strikes, aft and forth t' monster and his lord raged and swiped, missin' our mercurial sea dog! It seemed as if t' Fleetmaster would triumph over these creatures from t' human Hell!

But alas as Yaerith t' Unbreakable prepared t' counter his loomin' Nemesis once more, his foot stuck; he looked down and his cutlas-leg was wedged in a stump on t' ground. He looked aft up only t' see t' aftin' Terror Beast and its foot descendin' down upon him...

With our Fleetmaster gone, it seemed that we was all up Davy Jones' Creek! But Fortune smiled on us as t' Ark's High Beastmaster led a counter attack t' Glory!

Me tars, t' moral o' t' story: Do not wear a cutlas for a leg, and do not underestimate our Captain; Captain Talus Denerath!

AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

Sea Story Bonus 2: The Sea of Glass

I took this picture of a Sea of Glass off the coast of Fiji. Beforehand I didn't know that something as mighty as the Pacific Ocean could be so still!

The atmosphere that morning was just sublime. Incredibly peaceful. Perhaps Calisson can corroborate the effect of such an event from this nautical days?

Unlike the tranquil beauty of a real Sea of Glass, the term itself has dire connotations:

Revelation 15: 2

"And I saw something like a sea of glass mixed with fire, and those who had been victorious over the beast and his image and the number of his name, standing on the sea of glass..."

So I used this apocalyptic reference to conjure up associations and of course link to the End Times the Warhammer World is currently experiencing.

Haagrum -- I wasn't taking a swipe at the Fleetmaster. I was taking his lead Letter of Marque, melting it down, then pouring it down his throat... :twisted:

May he dwell forever on a metaphoric Shelf of Shame! !lol! That story was for all those who enjoyed Fleetmasters being T.Stomped to death by Abyssal Terrors, Armour of Destiny or not :mrgreen:

I think the High Beastmaster works better as the representative of a Black Ark -- a deadly leader at the head of a raiding force, with the power to command our Oceanic War Beasts :twisted: In this story he takes out one of Nagash's Nine Ringwraiths (copyright Tolk..er, GW), with a little help from our Non-Sea Monster Sea Monsters :P

If you can't tell I hate Fleetmasters.

Dark Elves only got awesome (playability) with the release of Man O'War, and the Black Ark Admiral was a cool cat. Little did I know that the leader of our unmatched fleets would be **** on from a great height by the powers that write at GW.

Black Ark Admiral = Awesome

Black Art Fleetmaster = Fail

Sea Story Bonus 3: What shall we do with the Drunken Calisson?

What Shall we do with the Drunken Corsair?
Early in the Mornin'

Dangle him from the Harpies' nest till he's sober!
Early in the mornin'

O ho and up he rises!
O ho and up he rises!
O ho and up he rises!
Early in the Mornin'

Early in the Mornin'

Put him on the Doomreaver and make him feed her!
Early in the Mornin'

O ho and up he rises!
O ho and up he rises!
O ho and up he rises!
Early in the Mornin'

Early in the Mornin'

Let him sleep it off in the Manticore Pens!
Early in the Mornin'

O ho and up he rises!
O ho and up he rises!
O ho and up he rises!
Early in the Mornin'

Early in the Mornin'

Put him in bed with the Fleetmaster's daughter!
Early in the Mornin'

O ho and up he rises!
O ho and up he rises!
O ho and up he rises!
Early in the Mornin'

Sea Story Bonus 4: Real Mermaids Discovered!!!

Calisson wrote:Summer is the main raiding season, when scores of Druchii corsairs disguised in tourists roam the Earth and visit exotic places.
They capture anything, put it inside small cases named "cameras", and bring back home the World's most refined riches, leaving beyond only ashes, trash and despair.

We captured a Nipponese fishing vessel off the Isles of Elithis. Usually we do not waste time on trifles such as this, merely ram them and continue on ...but after the long journey across the Endless Ocean the crew were feeling the need for sport and snacks.

Atharti be praised!

What a strange cargo already present on the little boat! We found the rarest of the rare on this little human ship; the legend landstalkers believe is merely the product of rum and repressed ribaldry!

We took a picture immediately on our Sorceress' magical "Camera"!

Behold!

Of course, we took them onboard immediately and set a course for home. They would be the new prize of the Witch King's personal menagerie! Worth more than their weight in warpstone!!!

...alas, m'lord we have to report that they were lost on voyage! Returned to the Sea by one of our very own. We do not know the identity of those responsible for the betrayal. Some of our officers believe it was a renegade Assassin, others a deep dark secret society answering only to Lord Ezresor, others still agents of the First Queen, or else the activities of a Khaine-forsaken Warlockian cult active only on the outer fringes of our Empire's reach.

The only evidence left behind was their empty cage and a scrawl carved on the planks in Drukh-Eltharin reading:

Unofficial D.net OC Supporters Club membership one
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

T.D. wrote:Sea Story Bonus 3: What shall we do with the Drunken Calisson?

Put him in bed with the Fleetmaster's daughter!...
Early in the Mornin'

...O ho and up he rises!

Errm? ;)

Don't be a munchkin?

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

I didn't make up that line tbf :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Conclusion post:
T.D.: 3 pts :lol:
Calisson: -1 pt. :|
You won easily the task to animate the contest. ;)
(that should be in Decembre).