Why is End of Times: Khaine kind of awesome

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Sezax
Black Guard

Why is End of Times: Khaine kind of awesome

Post by Sezax »

When it comes to both plot and gaming, many people seem to be very angry. I am not really a fan of GW (they are just the barman for my alcoholic tendencies), but I like the End of Times and many people I think fail to see many crucial issues.

If lets say new AB comes in future in one package for all Elves, is it really that bad? Clear core choices are archers, light cavalry and spearmen. Does that really need to ruin your army fluffwise or change the gamestyle so much? You still get good mages and fragile generals, you will probably still get to keep bolt throwers and some heavy horses and some monsters and some dragons. Seems to me like only WE players are unlikely to play more or less the same way as they played through last few editions.

Nor is your army ruined fluffwise in such scenario. You hate the idea of mixing? Fluffwise there are still probably some Black Arks in oceans, some HE colonies and the Lost Kindred for WE. No matter what models come in future, even without conversions color scheme alone can clearly make the army look purely DE (even with unicorns), HE (even with cauldrons of Blood) or WE (even with bolt throwers and chariots.

Is it really not more likely they will be able to make one more or less balanced AB than when they made three and each edition and the power balance between these three was close to nonexisting?

As for the story anything is better than that boring yet somehow constantly retconing status quo (at one point I would happily welcome Everquen and Morathi snuggling and ruling together after they slaughtered every main elven character rather than suffer through another description of another glorious somehow unforeseened and somehow failed invasion of Ulthuan.

And for people complaining about the story making sense, pray tell me whats the the so called canon idea of Malekith or Everqueen or Teclis or Morathi, cause even without BL the ABs alone make Malekith seem either as the only responsible practical visionary among Elves in the past five thousand years or as the absolute disney comic villain.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Why is End of Times: Khaine kind of awesome

Post by T.D. »

It's kind of awesome because the Dark Elves win :mrgreen:

On one hand the story needed progression, but on the other hand I don't want to collect generic "Elves". I think we are taking it better than the Asur ...and the Asrai ...well I don't think the penny has really dropped for them yet :P

Sezax wrote:at one point I would happily welcome Everquen and Morathi snuggling and ruling together

This needs a cartoon.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

T.D. wrote:It's kind of awesome because the Dark Elves win
There might be more nuances with the statement about who wins.
Malekith wins. All WE are on his side. Half of HE are on his side. A small minority of DE are on his side.

Most DE are on the losing side, actually.
WE would have an easier argument to claim they won. 100% were on the winning side and they are the only ones who stay home.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

I'm taking Malekith's rightful inheritance of the Phoenix Throne as a victory in the long war :)

Anyone who follows Tyrion deserves to lose :P

...and I doubt the Wood Elves will be thrilled with what the High and Dark Elves will do to their trees!

=====================================================
Moderator's EDIT.
The thread drifted in an unwanted direction.
I had to split it.
The present thread remains for praises.
For criticisms, please post there: Why is End of Times: Khaine kind of lousy
Thank you.
Calisson
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

One must recognize that the plot evolved from the eternal civil war DE vs HE, WE being neutral like Swiss.
Now it is DE vs DE, it is HE vs HE, and it is DE+HE+WE vs DE+HE.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Kerupto
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kerupto »

I just got my End Times Khaine book 3 and I have to tell you I am really enjoying the concept. The fluff and game changes are awesome. Yes everything that has been Endtimes' is very powerful, and its hard for other armies to have a fighting chance without getting some love. That being said Book 3 has several changes to magic which is going to become game changing, and dare i say it, really fun! Every army has access to the spells, Level 3 up are Lore masters, D4 power dice, D6 to see how many dice per spell, super spells can not be dispelled.

As for new models I would have liked to see some new ones (especially for Malekith and Khaine). Dark Elves and High Elves are so similar that you can proxy a lot of models, i.e. use black guard as phoenix guard. Executioners as white lions. And if you don't have witch elves and a cauldron already, where have you been.

Fluff wise so far,
-Nagash want to kill everyone living (and some who are already dead), and I mean everyone.
-Chaos wants to rule the whole world and destroy everyone who does not bend to chaos.
-Elves have finally united, as they realised without being united they will all be wiped from the face of the world.

And all the special charters are actually worth playing now, making for some interesting games.

Personally I can't wait to see whats next.

And remember for those of you who don't like the new game direction, that cool, don't play it, but its worth a game right! After all, what do you have to lose..... some fictitious victory point?
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

The possibilities are vast, which is interesting. I hope it doesn't lead to combined army books since those in the past have left us with fairly bland units (e.g. the Chaos books prior to 6th ed).

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Boltshot525
Corsair

Post by Boltshot525 »

Everyone is forgetting about Hellebron still being alive after her defeat at the hands of Morathi.

The dark elves of old still live!
Our bolts will blot out the sun!
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

T.D. wrote:and the Asrai ...well I don't think the penny has really dropped for them yet :P

Why would the penny need to drop? Aside from a bunch of squatters in our woods shivering and cold nothing's really changed for us. I mean you're killing beastmen for us, essentially taking over the job we used to have Brettonia doing, but aside from that... we're good, the End Times kinda missed us. !lol!
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Makiwara wrote:
T.D. wrote:and the Asrai ...well I don't think the penny has really dropped for them yet :P

Why would the penny need to drop? Aside from a bunch of squatters in our woods shivering and cold nothing's really changed for us. I mean you're killing beastmen for us, essentially taking over the job we used to have Brettonia doing, but aside from that... we're good, the End Times kinda missed us. !lol!

Well, apart from both Ariel and Orion dying, your homes being overrun by holier-than-thou Asur and bloodthirsty Druchii refugees, being ruled over by a High Elf and a Dark Elf (each of whom is the incarnate form of one of the Winds of Magic), missing out on the Wind-binding front (so far), and losing several of your greatest leaders... No, you guys did okay.

Plus, you got Durthu back in sane mode.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Makiwara wrote:
Strange to read a D.netter telling about WE as "us" and DE as "you".
I guess we need to rethink our minds and start thinking about all three formerly divided factions as united, by now.

... under the rule of a single, legitimate king!

Thank you Makiwara for the welcome! :)

Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

Haagrum wrote:
Makiwara wrote:

Well, apart from both Ariel and Orion dying, your homes being overrun by holier-than-thou Asur and bloodthirsty Druchii refugees, being ruled over by a High Elf and a Dark Elf (each of whom is the incarnate form of one of the Winds of Magic), missing out on the Wind-binding front (so far), and losing several of your greatest leaders... No, you guys did okay.

Plus, you got Durthu back in sane mode.

Orion dies all the time, he's the Kenny of monarch's, you'll find us rather unconcerned. You say Ariel died, I say we got a free Allarielle, she's ours we ganked her. Asur complaints can be filed with the arrow to the face or leave you to starve subgroup of our elven resources department. As for the Eternity King, he seems to be doing a better job than those effeminent Phoenix Kings but then again he is surrounded by magic arrows without a ward save. Druchii seem to think they've found a new home to rule, Asrai are just glad to finally have people to do all the tedious political jobs we don't care for, gives us more time to frolic with members of the opposite sex at wardancer raves and play pin the arrow on the Brettonian. All in all, we're happy.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The least we can say is that Makiwara testifies of a great spirit!
Well done, mate! :)
Blackfrost
Shade

Post by Blackfrost »

Actually, Orion is permanently dead now.
I wonder if his model will serve a purpose in 9th edition since it takes place 100 years later? Perhaps there will be a new monster type called "Oak Lord" or some such and he will be the applicable mini.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Ariel: Oh My God, Who killed Orion!?!

Teclis: Tyrion!

Ariel: You Bastard!
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

Blackfrost wrote:Actually, Orion is permanently dead now.

Even if that is true, dude died once a year for millennia, we've had plenty of practice, we've run through the six stages of grief hundreds and thousands of times, it's really not a thing. We had one big gribbly king, now we have another one (and he's not incarnate of one of our main gods so we don't have to take his word as gospel), we had one Queen, now we have a prettier one that we stole from the straight-laced altar boy Asur; give it a year or two she'll have a tramp stamp and deerskin loincloth. I'm telling you, we Asrai come out of this whole thing absolutely golden. I mean we've got Loec, how long you guys think your Warlocks are going to be hanging around when we have the one method that could possibly save them from having their souls nommed by Slaanesh? Our armies shouldn't be called 'The Host of the Eternity King', we should be renamed to 'Asrai and bro's'.

Hell, even Araloth disappeared into a one way wormhole, we must have done something right for the Gods to bless us so!

I'm going to rename The End Times as the 'Initiation of Awesome' in all Asrai literature.

Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Blackfrost wrote:Actually, Orion is permanently dead now.
I wonder if his model will serve a purpose in 9th edition since it takes place 100 years later? Perhaps there will be a new monster type called "Oak Lord" or some such and he will be the applicable mini.

How do we know 9th edition is 100 years later when we don't have any information what or when 9th will be.
Blackfrost
Shade

Post by Blackfrost »

When Orion is going into battle, it keeps going through his mind that his next death will be his last due to the elven deities having passed from the world.

As for the 100 years in the future thing, I got that from this forum. I know I've seen it mentioned more than once and things still do get leaked from time to time.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Blackfrost wrote:Perhaps there will be a new monster type called "Oak Lord" or some such and he will be the applicable mini.

Part of what I think they're trying to do is kill off as many characters as they can, especially low selling ones, that are made in finecast resin. Most of the characters that have been killed off are from or before 6th edition.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++