Race compression and the end of times for Druchii.net?

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: Race compression and the end of times for Druchii.net?

Post by Rork »

Deadsun wrote:
It is also worth casting the mind back to 4th edition where there was very little difference between each of the elven races in terms of special rules (or indeed stat lines). Back then each of the races still mainatined a very strong and distinct character with far less detail than there is at present.

Although I'd say that there were always several differences regardless of special rules due to the different units and even magic at their disposal. I think trying to homogenise them will take away the character the armies had thanks to their units and genuinely different playstyles.

The special rules just added flavour.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Amboadine wrote:
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:How come an outcast is a distinguished member? :P

We Druchii value Outcasts differently of course :)

Of course :)

Makiwara wrote:Yeah, a cv with: have big sword, can swing it, will always be in demand. Hell, you could go full merc and start raking in the gold!

I am leaning towards that option indeed!

@ Daeron

See where trusting so called leaders led us. Do we really need them? :-P
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:If admins and mods are as ruthless as Malekith, as manipulative as Teclis or as opportunistic as Imrik then they would not stop from achieving their goals because of the "community". They sacrificed Naggaroth and Ulthuan, why would not do it again in the cyber world :)

Joking aside I am aware that the main challenge would be merging the contents of 3 different forums without losing identities and posts of the members. I remember not that recent problems with server update on Ulthuan and that was "just" an update, not merging. I can imaging some kind of deal between the respective owners would have to be struck too.

However, not so long time ago an idea of Elven raced merged together was considered insane. While we still don't know if 9th edition is going to be a continuation of ET it is now a possibility. There is no harm in discussing that possibility so that this time, maybe, people will be prepared and will know what they want to do.
- If the rumours that WH:9th will be set 100 years forwards after ET events comes true,
- assuming that there is a wish form GW to reduce the number of army books (i.e. a single AB for Elves)
- and with the understanding that GW wishes to replace non-coyrighted races with new names of which they would own the copyright,
then there are some consequences that I would expect:

1. 9th ed Elves will no longer be divided among DE, HE and WE. These names (and druchii, asur and asrai) will be not used anymore.

2. (speculation based on ET:K fluff)
9th ed Elves might come into two variants:
- one strong, centralized feudal kingdom based in the woods of Athel Loren, defensive and shy in nature, with tensions inside between anarchist tree-huggers and diverse dominating factions driven by the ambition of their leaders;
- many small colonies of loosely organized outcasts, rebelling against the central elven authority, roaming the oceans, trading or pillaging on opportunity. These would include long standing former HE colonies as well as Naggaroth tribes, some monster hunters, and former WE refusing the colonizations of their woods by organized Elves.

There will be two new names given to the two elven factions, the inner elvens and the outsider elven, both factions having traits blended from DE, HE and WE.
Both factions will be described in the same AB, despite they fight against each other as often as they can, one being more on the order side, the other one being more on the destruction side.

3. For our three beloved websites, that would mean:
- Druchii.net, ulthuan.net, asrai.org will lose their link with current WH universe.
- There will be no obvious link between present DE, HE and WE and the two future elven factions, so no heritage to transfer.
- NewElfName, NewInnerElfName, NewOucastElfName will all be copyrighted by GW and it will be hard to create websites with these names.

4. There would still be a need for a dedicated website where Elven tactics would be examined, Elven lore would be discussed and Elven models would be shown.
Today it is premature to guess whether the Elfs will be sufficiently monolithic to make a single website relevant,
or whether there would be so strong differences in fluff, tactics and model canons between the two factions to make two websites a realistic option.
Anyway, these websites would just link to good old druchii.net, ulthuan.net and asrai.org, which hopefully would be maintained for a couple of years before someone forgets to pay the server host.

5. In case there is a single website (which also goes along a decreasing public interest for websites, generally speaking), then it would be nice to have the former three website contents transferred to a giant threefold archive.

About governance, it is not unlikely that most of us old timers would lose interest into the future website - so power will be left to those bold enough to seize it.

This said,
Merry Crhistmas and happy New Year to all...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Executioner

Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Great write up, Calisson! What can I add, I am looking forward to what is going to happen in the upcoming months to see how accurate your predictions are going to be!

Thanks a lot for taking time to do so, very, very interesting stuff!
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Calisson wrote:9th ed Elves might come into two variants:
- one strong, centralized feudal kingdom based in the woods of Athel Loren, defensive and shy in nature, with tensions inside between anarchist tree-huggers and diverse dominating factions driven by the ambition of their leaders;
- many small colonies of loosely organized outcasts, rebelling against the central elven authority, roaming the oceans, trading or pillaging on opportunity. These would include long standing former HE colonies as well as Naggaroth tribes, some monster hunters, and former WE refusing the colonizations of their woods by organized Elves.

Sounds like the Eldar to me, which is the way WH elves have been heading since their souls were tied to Slaanesh with the most recent books. The Eldar gods were (mostly) killed and now the Elven gods have been (mostly) killed.

Rangers backing up rapid-firing infantry? Eldar. Rapid-firing artillery backing up light and swift wild riders? Eldar. Their traditional homeland destroyed by their own actions? Eldar. Outcasts? Very Eldar.

There will be differences, but I think we're going to see a lot more similarities than there were before if GW pursues merging the armies. It also gives GW an opportunity to slap one of their trademarks on them in the same way they did for the Imperial Guard Astra Militarum.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

When is the current rumour estimate for the 9th edition to come out?
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

CitizenKhaine wrote:When is the current rumour estimate for the 9th edition to come out?

I'd assume by the summer. 7th ed was September 2006, 8th ed in July 2010. But given all the random stuff they're throwing into the End Times books, they may try to spin it out for a further year to see what they should incorporate into the main rules (6th ed lasted 6 years...).

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Deadsun
Trainee Warrior

Post by Deadsun »

I would personnaly rather that they finish the end times in its entirity prior to release of a new edition as i think that would allow it to be more consistent in terms of rules as well as give a clear starting point to take the story onwards from.
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

CitizenKhaine wrote:When is the current rumour estimate for the 9th edition to come out?

"Reliable sources" (for the record, the same source that used the word "Glottkin" before Nagash was even released, and called it on Khaine to be the elven ET title) says a May release.

I'm saving up my money for a May release.
marcopollo
Assassin

Post by marcopollo »

The current state of fantasy battles brings me all the way back to the "ravening hordes" transition from 5th ed to 6th ed circa 2002. GW made some gigantic changes to the game play, most notably with the magic system. Remember "total power". It was a transitionary period. All armies suffered during the wait to get new books out to market. And, the arms races began anew. This gave GW a new starting point to slowly control the pace of the arms race. But now the arms race is starting to get out of control and boutique armies are getting nerfed because GW can not afford to keep the relevant -- Bretonians/Ogres.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

marcopollo wrote:The current state of fantasy battles brings me all the way back to the "ravening hordes" transition from 5th ed to 6th ed circa 2002. GW made some gigantic changes to the game play, most notably with the magic system. Remember "total power". It was a transitionary period. All armies suffered during the wait to get new books out to market. And, the arms races began anew. This gave GW a new starting point to slowly control the pace of the arms race. But now the arms race is starting to get out of control and boutique armies are getting nerfed because GW can not afford to keep the relevant -- Bretonians/Ogres.

With army books so expensive, I don't see them doing that again. It's more likely they'll roll out khaine Magic rules to make it much less of a worthwhile investment given the randomness. Brets seem likely to get rolled into Empire if they aren't careful.

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

What is throwing me is that there are still respected rumour mongers stating Brets will actually be the next AB to be released.
So either there will be an ET reboot, the AB will be based on a shattered kingdom or the rumours are just wrong.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Amboadine wrote:What is throwing me is that there are still respected rumour mongers stating Brets will actually be the next AB to be released.
So either there will be an ET reboot, the AB will be based on a shattered kingdom or the rumours are just wrong.

If they do get released that almost proves this is all just smoke and mirrors and the armies won't change massively.

+++ Team Mulligans +++