9th Edition Rumours

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: 9th Edition Rumours

Post by Daeron »

On the website, our Hydra has been moved to the rare selection.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

This may very well be the silliest thing I've ever uploaded/posted, so I appologize.. But somehow I could totally see these models dancing to this song in my mind like they belonged together.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

^^10/10. Would purchase from GW :mrgreen:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Darkmark
Beastmaster

Post by Darkmark »

A retailer on Dakka just had this to say:

-It's not 9th edition WFB, its a totally different game. There is no 9th edition coming. There is no huge rule book coming. Age of Sigmar is the main product.

-Most of the leaks on the internet are wrong. I'll be able to confirm this Thursday. In particular the bit about different formations is incorrect.

-The 96 page book is a hobby book, painting, history, how to play examples etc. The 4 pages of rules is indeed the rules. Laminated.

-Each unit in the game has a War Scroll that has the rules specific to that unit. So rules for each artillery piece will be on that unit's scroll, each monster will have a scroll, etc.

-The 4 pages of rules and all War Scrolls will be free and online July 4th at midnight. This will be a living document.

lets say that again, since some of the words like "free" may seem surprising to some folks

-The 4 pages of rules and all War Scrolls will be free and online July 4th at midnight. This will be a living document[u]

-Cost is 125.00 in the US

-There may be additional books in the near future, hobbyist/collectors items. Not at all needed for the game, and may not even have the rules in the them. Age of Sigmar: The Big Book of pictures and how to paint....etc. There is no HC big rulebook like we had in WFB, no 3 rule books in a slipcover like in 40k. Just the Age of Sigmar box. And the rules for that box are online and free along with rules for all the old models in your army.

-Supposedly doesn't matter how things are based.

-Scales well from skirmish to large battles. Leave your models ranked and on bases if you like.

Sounds interesting I think.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Thanks for the update :)

...and some more from Warseer:

A big thank you to Anthony from thesustainablecenter for the following information. Follow Ant @TSustainableC and on his youtube channel.

From my friend who I game with weekly that owns a store:

From GW. Just got off the call with them:

1. There will be no rule book. Ever.

2. All rules will be free. for ever.

3. All models will come with a “scroll” with its stats and rules.

4. All scrolls will be dowloadabel for free on their site starting July 2nd. I will get it all on the 2nd.

5. ALL current miniatures will be supported. they are producing scrolls for every single miniature they current sell.

6. The new boxed set comes with 18 good guys and a hero, 29 chaos and a hero, dice, ruler, 4 page booklet for rules, and 96 page fluff book that sets the background. $125.retail

7. There will be no new 9th edition. ever. this is the new game they will support.

8. They don’t think that’s a problem, as you will be able to use your armies and play it how ever you want. there are no complicated movement rules. Movement is very fluid.

9. they once again said they are a miniatures company, not a games company. but with that said, they want to produce miniatures and support them with a game that lets you use as many or all of your miniatures as you like. so if you want to play with a few fine, or a bunch fine too.

10. rules. it’s a turn base game. you roll off before the beginning of each turn.
there will be magic rules, maybe even cards, not yet.
there are some scenarios in the 96 page book, but the idea is to encourage creating and playing to as many diffrent scenarios as possible (like saga)
it’s still diced based.
bases are no longer important. since movement is so fluid. they chose round because models look cooler on them. you cana keep playing with squares and movement trays.

11. fluuf will be handled with the models as they come out. tons of new things for all factions to be released.

12. no limited edition stuff. but if models don’t sell they will migrate to direct sales on their website (special order) and iof people still don’t buy them, they will be not be supported, but instead will be discontinued once the stock is depleted.

13. Game seems to be fast, and furious.

14. there are no more “armies” persay. instead you build your forces based on the category at the bottom of each battle scroll, :Stormcast Eternal”, “Chaos” “Magical” Elves” Old ones, skaven/dark forces (or whateveer they’re called) etc.

15. the fluff is as rumored:
Old world totally gone. Sigmar saves a bunch of sould (presumably many) of all races.
He discover 8 realms. and populates them. then sets up way-gates to each, and shoots them via lightning bolts onto the worlds.
then they work to stave off chaos. i super simplified this here. sounds much cooler than i just explained.

16. they assured me it’s all about playing how we want, and them being able to sell new models to new people who want to get into a new game, but don’t want 175 models.

17. they fully understand that the scene will now have folks who play with lots of modles and people who play with a few.

18, they couldn’t tell me yet, but it seems the first to be supported will be Elves, Chaos, Humans. new elven stuff for sure.

19. all new scenery and 2×2 tiles for the battle boards.

20. as many of us have been saying for over a year now. it is a totally different game. no more warhammer fantasy. no 9th edition. rules are to be this 4 page pdf period. there will be no 185 page book in the future, or army books. they will have campaign books, fluff books, and so on, but the game has been set up to be about how the players want to play it within the age of sigmar rules environment (guidleines really).
Fantasy is now completely dead. and this new game wants to give us the flexibility to write our own version of the game.

seems fairly interesting if it pans out. Here they are taking a page directly from rules such as Black Powder. interesting actually when you realize that original warhammer fantasy and black powder were written by Rick Priestly. they went back to the master for this…at least in spirit.

The overall idea is:

SPEND MONEY ON MINIS, AND DON’T SPEND MONEY ON A BUNCH OF RULES
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

...and some more leaks:

https://twitter.com/Chumphammer
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

T.D. wrote:...and some more leaks:

https://twitter.com/Chumphammer

My my that's not going to take long to learn.....
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Lord hajjij wrote:
Free rules.....my printer is going to be busy.

The rules are only 4 pages long 8)

No crap. My printer uses more ink to print out movie tickets I buy on line. But...not likely to even waste the ink for this. :killed:
Lord hajjij
Rotting skull on the Glottkin trail

Post by Lord hajjij »

Few random screenshots I just saw.

AOS3.jpg

AOS5.jpg
So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak.

-Sun Tzu
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It's a bit early to tell, but there is great potential in the way they handled this... To me it feels a lot like a modern trading card game, Hearthstone style or something. The rules themselves are simple, concise and quick to learn. The complexity is picked up by the models, and how players use them.
So to me, this reads like a lot of emphasis is shifting from rules to unit combinations ... If the units lend themselves to that. It also means that they can easily support old units with a data slate of rules.

For G.W. this seems like a smart move. Fantasy was suffering from a lot of "weight". In order to release 5 new DE kits they needed to update the entire book. Now they can release a combo of 2-3 units and it merges into the game without having to revisit the old units. Never the less, they could still revisit the old units because the rules are "free" and available online. They can fix a single unit, without having to go through a revision of the whole book.
It also means their game expands with every model release they make, which seems to be more in line with the business model they have in mind... So.... a better alignment between business model and product is a good thing for G.W. which, hopefully, translates to a better customer experience.

But there does seem to be a price. I don't see how ranked units (even fluff wise) would still work, or fast cavalry for that matter. Hm. Too early to tell...

- The stiff breeze
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

Daeron wrote:It's a bit early to tell, but there is great potential in the way they handled this... To me it feels a lot like a modern trading card game, Hearthstone style or something. The rules themselves are simple, concise and quick to learn. The complexity is picked up by the models, and how players use them.
So to me, this reads like a lot of emphasis is shifting from rules to unit combinations ... If the units lend themselves to that. It also means that they can easily support old units with a data slate of rules.

If anything, they've pinched it from Warmachine/Hordes. Every unit comes with its own stat card. You can buy army books and narrative books (which give each army stuff) but you don't need to - you can even access all the cards through their app (at a price).

And that's a game that's all about setting up synergies across the army. (But it's a weird way to play when you've been used to GW...)

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

They might actually pull this whole thing off guys... they might actually make this game thrive and really great to play (or good at least).

These bits of information feel huge.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Daeron (that video) you have way to much time on your hands :roll:
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Hey all - quick post as a sign of life... Work is brutal, photo project devouring spare time, but mostly this wretched 9th stuff keeping me in limbo! I won't go off on a rant until it's properly out, but not my cup of tea. My circle just playing 8th with what we have. GW just pulling in a different direction from what I enjoyed.

Hope you're all fantastically well!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

My circle just playing 8th with what we have.

Yes, this seems likely. I have at least one game of 8th edition scheduled for after the release date. To be honest, the new game system seems so radically removed from the old one, that I don't think it will replace 8th edition Warhammer per se, but simply act as a third game. Of course, GW will stop supporting 8th edition, but I can't see past fantasy players simply stopping playing the old game for this entirely new game. They may well pick up 9th edition too, but 8th edition will stick around. We'll see though.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

The no points and no balancing rumour ( other than number of models) seems to be the breaking point for me. If there is truly no mechanism to prevent anyone taking whatever they need then I probably wont even bother.
Surely not even GW would go that far, would they?

Waiting patiently for more info and trying to work out the rules as they stand. Massive lack of clarity on some rules in the leaked photos. Short with no detail behind them and the normal disclaimer, 'do what you both agree is the best solution'.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Video: #132 RULE LEAKS for Age of Sigmar Warhammer!
https://youtu.be/WiXkK1T39HI
Courtesy http://www.warhammer-forum.com/index.ph ... &p=2769920
Sorry, I have no time to watch and analyse before work... and can't during work either :?

Mod: embedding the video
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

After some more thoughts... Here are some complexities I see in the rules that make way for tactics.

• Line of sight becomes 360 and movement is simplified. I expect more crazy (scenic?) terrain to become desirable. This may prove more supportive for city battles.
  • Retreat and counter charge. A unit can voluntarily flee/retreat and in the same turn another can charge in. This can be a basis for baiting or anvil and hammer tactics etc. I imagine it will be crucial to have units support each other.
  • Shooting comes before charging. I expect it's possible to shoot first and finish off later. I expect that to be another power combination throughout the game.
  • I expect tight formation to have some benefits (go go oldschool ranked units): a ranked unit will move as easily as a skirmish unit, and the tight formation will permit more models to be brought into close combat. Wider formations will permit to increase the threat range though.

Old fantasy had dozens of built-in tactics which have been erased, and should be constructed anew through implicit synergies.
It feels like a simplified, generic game engine by comparison. The downside is obvious: less inherent depth and complexity. But there are pro sides to this:
  • Easier to make a balanced or economic focused campaign
  • Easier to expand upon
  • Easier to introduce custom balance rules (ETC?)

It almost feels like a sandbox system.
I certainly understand and sympathize with the "we're sticking to 8th" movement, but after I let my own nerves calm a bit I always ask myself what "delta" is the best (or more convenient): that is, the amount of effort needed to elevate the game to a level I enjoy even more.
Just reading these new rules it breathes "economic focused campaigns!". The biggest pain of campaign designs in the past, for my group, was the limited number of games we could get in and how difficult it was to rebalance the game to include economics or casualties being carried over throughout battles. It seems a lot of this is thrown out of the window, making it easier to do (faster games + no inherent balance system).
It's tempting to see if we can build an on-line campaign system for this.

That said though.. I really loved 8th ed :) I wouldn't have minded another edition like it.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

A new one on factions

Supposedly from the new WD:

– Nine Mortal Realms, all based on the eight colours of magic, and Chaos makes nine.
– Sigmar rules from Azyrheim, and when a Stormcast Eternal dies, he returns there.
– Four Great Alliances:
– Order: Stormcast Eternals, Steamhead Duardin (Dwarfs), Red Slayers (Mercenaries of sorts. Where the old Empire went?), Aelf, and Seraphon – reptilian warriors who appear out of nowhere.
– Chaos: Fully combined army – beastmen, warriors, daemons, *does* include the Skaven.
– Death: Undead.
– Destruction: Orruks, Grots, Ogors, and ravening beasts beyond count.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

i quite like the scenery placement one to be fair! dividing the board into six 2'x2' modules and rolling to place probably 1-2 pieces in each.

having said that you can still probably just line the edge of the board with scenery...
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

toots wrote:i quite like the scenery placement one to be fair! dividing the board into six 2'x2' modules and rolling to place probably 1-2 pieces in each.

having said that you can still probably just line the edge of the board with scenery...

Yes, but who places it? In what order? What size is it? Who choices the pieces?

Lack of clarity in the the rules. I know these things are easy to sort out in a friendly game, but would a couple more pages really hurt to flesh out the rules a little more.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

A perhaps slightly more favourable report, that makes it sound quite cool;

Ok so I just spoke with our GW guy for about a half an hour about Age of Sigmar. Here are the details:

+All the rules are free, core, unit specific, everything- The core rules are very simple but the complexity comes with each unit getting its own individual "Warscroll." The warscrolls will detail what each unit can do, its stats, etc. All the warscrolls and the core rules will be made available for free download starting on July 4th.

+The game can be played with all existing models in the warhammer fantasy range. There is no strict force organization chart. You could make an unbound army but there are benefits for taking units of the same faction. There is increased synergy and interplay between units of the same faction (Chaos, Elves, etc).

+ There is a lot more synergy in general in the game. The Khorne banner guy you see in the pictures has the ability to plant his banner in the ground and create a warp rift where every Khorne unit within 12 inches of the banner gets all sorts of nasty benefits.

+The starter box is 100 bucks after discount at TJs. It comes with 47 new models, 96 page Age of Sigmar Book, dice, measuring sticks etc. It comes with two armies Warriors of Khorne and a new army (Stormcast Eternals). He said the pictures floating around don't really do them justice and that they were the best quality plasics he has ever seen (he got the chance to construct, paint, and play with them last week). That sounds like a sweet week at work! smile emoticon

+The Stormcast Eternals are warriors of the warhammer world that Sigmar saved before the destruction of the mortal realm. They are then reincarnated as demigods keeping some of their previous personality. Every time they die, he resurrects them and they lose a bit of their individuality of their first life. This will explain how we will see heroes and villains that were important figures in the Warhammer World before hand. Apparently the guy riding the drake is one of the previous characters but his identify isn't revealed yet.

+There will be a bunch of new armies coming from the 9 realms of the game world. Some of the realms are familiar (Death, Beasts, Chaos, Heavens, etc). Each realm will have familiar armies coming from it, as well as new ones (like the Stormcast Eternals). I am guessing my beloved Greenskins are in the Beasts realm!

+The white dwarf next week comes with a new Stormcast Eternal Mini.

+The game while having skirmish elements is not just a skirmish game. Large scale battles are completely doable and actually will have a lot more interplay and intricacies due to the layers of synergy with the individual warscrolls for all the units.

+Bases don't matter. Measuring is done model to model (center mass I imagine). Bases are purely for aesthetics.

+He made a comparison to X-Wing where the core rules are simple and fun but the unit specific rules are where the game really comes to life.

+Premeasuring is still alive and well.

+There are fluffy faction specific rules that make armies play how you would imagine. He used an example of how Khorne units have the ability to take a death blow. When a khorne model dies they can get a last gasp strike as they fall.

+He said the game plays faster than WHFB, is simple at its core, but complex once you start throwing in all the unit specific rules. He said it would be much easier for new players to get into the hobby and the themed armies have really cool things up their sleeves.

All in all I am really excited. Putting all the rules out there for free, making any regiment box in effect a starter box, and keeping large scale battles relevant are smart moves. I cannot wait. More details to follow! Everyone will be able to start playing AoS on the fourth of july without spending a penny.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

It looks like a very fun game.

It just isn't Warhammer.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Better screens from White Dwarf, including War Scrolls, here: https://twitter.com/lady_atia

I'm increasingly convinced that this is some sort of introduction type ruleset. The lack of any balancing mechanism plus references to past victories (look up the Triumph section) seem to give it away.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

shiz is what this is.

But king of war are going to introduce 10 new armies (8ed GW armies), so might go a try it out.
Also known as Kanadian