SOLSTICE SHORT STORY -- VOTE NOW!!!

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Poll ended at Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Lord Drakon's last march of the Khainites
14%
Makiwara's The Fool
12%
T.D.'s Shadowblade
10%
Red...'s Druchii until the end
12%
Lord hajjij's Rage of the Beast
10%
Calisson's A pilot to remember
12%
Haagrum's The Sister’s Swansong
14%
Marchosias' The Duel
17%

Total votes: 42

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

...and so did the World vanish into history,
as the Dark Gods laughed...

Read Stories Here --> The End of the End Times

Vote now for your favourite stories!

Competition entrants please nominate your top 3.

Poll closes in seven days time.

@ Druchii -- It only takes a few minutes to read, vote and thank the entrants for their effort! Thank You.
Last edited by T.D. on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Makiwara
Shade

Re: SOLSTICE SHORT STORY -- VOTE NOW!!!

Post by Makiwara »

Well, Haagrum is like that guy in your tournament bracket you always worry about turning up, but he's my favorite and my pick to take the comp. Love the completing of the arc that he's had running for the End Times story comps. Would love to see if these two make it through to the new world.

Marchosias comes in second place, lovely piece, great continuance through the end of times and through reality breaking apart, would have been my favorite if not for Haagrum.

Then T.D.'s fate of Shadowblade piece, though I think a followup piece with Malus being reborn and taking over Commorragh on a lunch break is in order.

Calisson gets bumped sorry, blame T.D. for jumping the gun on locking the story thread! :mrgreen:

Everyone else did a great job, really love participating in all these contests guys, been great fun.

+3 Haagrum
+2 Marchosias
+1 T.D.
Last edited by Makiwara on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Very enjoyable entries as usual. It is nice to see the sustained success of these short competitions! :D

Haagrum aces indeed, fun and enjoyable story, respecting perfectly the End Times canon and the competition limits.
Lord Drakon's very, very late entry was worth writing. Great character, very consistent with his staunch refusal to ally with Asur as Malekith did. And concise. This said, I hate Khainites.

For the other entries, that's very difficult. I loved how T.D. and Makiwara linked to WH40k universe, even though Maki exceeded the 1000 word limit. L.H. and Red wrote good stories, but somehow I miss some element of surprise which would strike the reader.

Hmmm, difficult.
Should I ask help from Caraoc?

-=-=-

+3: Haagrum
+2: Lord Drakon
+1: T.D.

-=-=-

@ all members of D.net: remember, everyone can vote, and multiple votes are possible if you want to pick up several authors.
@ authors: in addition to your vote(s), you can give +3, +2 and +1 to some authors.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Thanks for the round up and clarification, Calisson.

Calisson wrote: I loved how T.D. and Makiwara linked to WH40k universe, but they exceeded the 1000 word limit.

Eh!? :| 992 into 1000 gives 8 left over ;)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

T.D. wrote:Eh!? :| 992 into 1000 gives 8 left over ;)

Code: Select all

= 7 words, that's how Microsoft counts. :mrgreen:
If you wondered why I use -=-=- instead, now you know.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

I was working under the understanding that it was a Druchii word limit; I do what I need to get the job done and shank a few people along the way. ;)
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Damn, it was hard to pick my top 3. Some fantastic work here, with everything from Naggaroth's last stand and Commorragh's bolstering to the foundation of new realms and the spreading roots of the Acorns of Ages. I tip my hat to everyone who contributed.

With that said... here's how I'm voting:

3 votes - T.D. Vect's a cunning bastard, and this is exactly the sort of trick he'd pull. The weaving together of the WFB and W40K universes made sense, despite GW's official denials. Plus, there was gratuitous slaughtering of High Elves. What more could a druchii hoping for deliverance ask for?

2 votes - Makiwara. This was a genuinely hard call, because I really couldn't split this one from T.D's in terms of how much I liked it. I loved how this story tied into the lore so well (delving into some Harlequins-style mythology as well). In the end, the only way I could justify the voting decision was that T.D's was slightly under the word limit, while this one was not.

1 vote - Red.... The sheer hopelessness of the situation and the bitter defiance of the protagonist summed up the ultimate futility of the End Times for everyone. In the end, all that's left is how you go out, and Drakarth went out without taking a backward step.

Honourable mentions go to Marchosias and Calisson. I really liked how the four figures in Marchosias's story effectively spat in the face of the Chaos Gods, showing what came after them. It was the same sort of defiance I was trying to achieve with my own story, so it really resonated with me. I enjoyed the soaring ambit (no pun intended) of Calisson's piece, and I imagine that it could be truly amazing if given a longer word limit.

Only a few weeks until the Age of Sigmar hits. It has been an honour, people. :mrgreen:
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

In fairness to all participants, I don't think we should penalise Makiwara and Marchosias. We're very happy to read your quality entries and thank you for the taking the time and effort to post and participate.

The word limit is really to (i) make short fun stories enterable, (ii) stop rambling posts and (iii) stop intimidation of other posters by writing "a book" (i.e. the sort of thing I would do :P).

So, we have 8 cool entries. D.net membership: Place your votes now 8)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Yeah, sorry for bringing up that word count.
I did not mean to be a hard limit, but when facing hard choices, well, that was a way to sort out between two equally good entries.
Actually, some took the effort to make a consistent and enjoyable story within 999 words when they easily could have written much more. It is worth to be apreciated.

@ Haagrum, thanks for your kind words. Actually, the word count was not my hardest limit, that was rather... talent? I'm already extremely satisfied to be able to write something meaningful in English. Marchosias is even better than me to make people forget that English is not our mother tongue.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Calisson wrote:I did not mean to be a hard limit, but when facing hard choices, well, that was a way to sort out between two equally good entries.

No worries. We all knew what you were getting at. The word limit is a good "tie-breaker" :)
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I voted for everyone. Yes, it breaks the rules, but these are the End Times: nothing makes sense anymore ;)

Chaos wins!

Yeah !lol!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Red... wrote:I voted for everyone. Yes, it breaks the rules, but these are the End Times: nothing makes sense anymore ;)

Chaos wins!

Yeah !lol!
In addition, as a writer, you're entitled to give 3 pts to one author, 2 pts to another one and 1 pt to a third one.

1 pt each seems to fit well Nurgle style. Papa Nurgle willing to be equally benevolent to all. :sick:
Khorne style would be 4 pts for the chosen one and 0 for all others. Only the fittest deserves to prevail. !mad!
Slaanesh would give 4 pts to whoever already wins, 3 pts to the second one, 2 pts to the 3rd and 1 pt to the 4th - and update daily to take into account new votes. Enhance the seduction of who is gifted already. 8)
Tzeentch would attribute 4, 3, 2, 1 and 0 pts so as to reshuffle the rankings - and change daily so as to confuse everyone. Be unpredictable! :o_O:
the End Times victory, well, that would be 0 pt distribuited at all. :killed:

I'd assume that a Druchii style would give one or more points to all but the weakests... and adjust before the vote is frozen so as to favour own champion, if victory is within reach! :twisted:
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

The fat lady (Chaos Daemon Princess of some kind no doubt) is singing...

We still need:-

1st Place
2nd Place
3rd Place

Nominations from:

- Lord Drakon
- Red...
- Lord hajjij
- Marchosias
- Me! :P

*Closes Tmrw evening*
Last edited by T.D. on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Just got round to reading all the entries. Fantastic! Every single one. It really was a pleasure to read and take part with such cool and evocative stories 8)

Don't want to separate them out (but a Druchii has to do what a Druchii has to do :P):

+3 = Red...
+2 = Haagrum
+1 = Lord Drakon
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

And now we come to The End of The End of The End

@Lord Drakon

Lord Drakon wrote:The air was hot and full of pain. Never had Lord Drakon witnessed such amazing spectacle before. Athel Loren was burning. A magical firestorm raged through the wood, burning elf and spirit alike.

I enjoyed this imagery :twisted: Thanks :mrgreen:

@Makiwara

Makiwara wrote:For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

I have to say it has been a pleasure to watch your mythos develop over the months you have been active on the Elven forums; and this line exemplifies what a deep vein of creativity you have been mining. The writer in me is coming round to the possibilities of a more open dimensional-themed fantasy multiverse (if you don't like GWs particular World ...make your own :P) and I think your style will thrive in such an open setting.

@Red...

Red... wrote:As his last act of resistance, Drakarth refused to scream, instead forcing a grin upon his cracked lips. "I was Druchii until the end." And with those immortal words, he died.

This story captures the feel of the End Times. It is also how I picture the Elves of Naggaroth going out; which is why I gave it my top vote. I enjoyed both your crisp description and the touches of satire "Light, Life, Beasts and Heavens" !lol!

@Lord Hajjij

Lord hajjij wrote:"RUN, RAT DEMONS...FOR I AM BECOME DEATH, THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS!"

I really enjoyed this entry, and it seems to have been under-rated by other posters. Beautiful descriptions, fast paced storytelling, and hints of greater depth in the characterisation and naming. Just unlucky to be up against a quality field of entries :)

@Calisson

Calisson wrote:In the beginning, the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of Caraoc moved above the face of the waters.
And Caraoc saw the light, and it was good!

What a treat of a tale. This was really quite inspired, and a fitting send off for Caraoc. Just like Lord hajjij, I enjoyed the scriptural references to Revelation/Genesis-level events!!! Whimsical and fantastical, in the best of all possible ways. Most charming entry IMO.

@Haagrum

Haagrum wrote:Malendris lunged forward, breaking her opponent’s guard with a sweep of her buckler and tearing out his throat with the bladed hilt of her whip.

I don't think I got as much out of this tale as I could have, as I was all storied-out at Christmas and didn't get all the way through either your or Makiwara's continuing mythologies. Thought this one was more predictable and with less clever use of language than your usual competition entry ...but that said, you are still the story-telling and plotting master of D.net ;)

@Marchosias

Marchosias wrote:Without saying a word, they bowed to each other and resumed their fight, their dance.

Another very ambitious entry, that brings to mind a progression of ideas from a sense of betrayal on the part of the mortal followers of Chaos, to reinvigorated hope, to renewal and rebirth.

Hope you all enjoyed the competition as much as I did. Great entries all round. If you enjoy writing, click here:

[+] SPOILER
I'd love to see you progress on to published short stories, anthologies, and the New Guttenberg Revolution of Electronic Publishing ;)

And now to the prizes...

*drum roll*

The winner and Lord of the End Times is:

Haagrum -- The Sister's Swansong

...and the recipient of Nurgle's hospitality:

Lord Hajjij -- Rage of the Beast

Calisson will be doling out naming justice shortly...