Morathi and Caledor

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Durithir
Trainee Warrior

Morathi and Caledor

Post by Durithir »

Hello,

There is a passage in Khaine that I am not sure how to understand.

Spoilers ahead

This take place page 139 (end of the final battle) when Caledor grabs Morathi as the vortex is shrinking and tells her "Your race is run, child".
In your opinion, is this supposed to be "child" the way someone could refer to someone much younger than them as "child" or is it supposed to be a last-minute shocking revelation that Caledor is Morathi's father?

Personally, I would go for the first possibility because the one according to which he is her father serves no purpose from a plot point and opens a lot of plot holes (like why she wouldn't use this connection to her advantage to ensure Malekith would be the rightful heir to both Nagarythe and Caledor by causing all of Caledor's other heirs to suffer "accidents").

Still, I would like to have other people's opinions about this.

Regards.
Last edited by Durithir on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Re: Morathi and Caledor

Post by Darkprincess »

Durithir wrote:or is it supposed to be a last-minute shocking revelation that Caledor is Morathi's father.

Well if that is the case, then I think the writers have spectacularly failed their Originality test (then again, this is GW we're talking about, so the bar is pretty low to start with...)

Hmmm, the one on the Light Side being the father on the one who turned to the Dark Side eh? Nah - I still won't give them points for turning it on its head as it's still not original

Can anyone else throw any light on this?

Farewell, Morathi - your successor emergeth... :twisted:
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I would personally imagine it is just supposed to be used in a condescending way rather than a particular twist of family ties.
If the later were the case I imagine it would be more obvious, such as referring to her in this way for example;

"Your race is run, my daughter".
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Amboadine wrote:I would personally imagine it is just supposed to be used in a condescending way rather than a particular twist of family ties.

Yeah on balance that does seem the most likely. The other way would be inexcusably bad fluff - even Gav couldn't write anything that badly :)
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It didn't struck me as there being a relationship between Morathi and Caledor. It would seem unlikely that this is the first and only reference if there would be.
- The Sundering details on Malekith's reflections on his father. This suggests Morathi and Aenarion have been.. well.. tangoing way, way earlier than the creation of the Vortex.
- In particular, the halls of Naggarond are reflected upon as once being the halls of Anlec, where Malekith witnessed his father's rule and dealings
- Caledor and Aenarion had arguments about the Vortex and how to stop the Daemons. It wasn't like they never met. I'm sure the notion of a grandchild would have been relevant to both.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze