Inking vs. Painting

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Orion dartanyu
Slave (off the Altar)

Inking vs. Painting

Post by Orion dartanyu »

So what is better overall?

I know inking gets into the cracks and places it is hard for paint to get, but does the finish product have a good overall quality to it?

Also, can mixing ink and paint turn out good?

And I've heard inking is more difficult than painting. I suck at painting as it is, but I still want to develop this technique some. Are there step by step sites you have found to be perfect for describing the process?
Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

I don't know any sites to help you here, but from my experience using a lot of inks speeds up the time it takes to paint your armies considerably. And the final product is great, although it might be a little shiny. Using watered down inks to tint armor and reach recesses is of course the most often used and common practice.
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Inking versus painting is not an either/or question. You generally do both.

For example, if you are painting a cold one, you might paint the entire thing enchanted blue. You could then wash the entire figure with watered down blue and/or black ink. It will settle into the cracks and create instant shadow effects. When it's dry, you could then use ice blue for highlighting the tops of the scales on the back.

This is a fairly standard way of doing a 3 tone method. (1) base color, (2) ink for shadow, and (3) highlight
Truly These are the End Times ...
Asmodeus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Asmodeus »

I completely agree with you Dyvim. But I have to say, I've seen some amazing figures done with nothing but inks (the most memorable being a Nurgle Greater Daemon). For most models, a combination of painting, inking, and drybushing produces the best results, but it doesn't hurt to experiment with different things, including painting figures without paint (ie, using inks). I personally don't have that skill, but with work, who knows.
Witch Elves still suck ;).
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Asmodeus wrote:I completely agree with you Dyvim. But I have to say, I've seen some amazing figures done with nothing but inks (the most memorable being a Nurgle Greater Daemon). For most models, a combination of painting, inking, and drybushing produces the best results, but it doesn't hurt to experiment with different things, including painting figures without paint (ie, using inks). I personally don't have that skill, but with work, who knows.

You're right that you can do some cool things with just ink. I forgot that I have done some of this myself in painting my Eldar fleet for Battlefleet Gothic.

The technique works best for stuff like a great unclean one, plague bearers, zombies, deamons and other such things. You ink over a white base coat and let the colors blend together. It's kind of like painting in watercolors.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Fellblade
Noble
Location: Cell 5, isolation ward. Quarantine measures in effect.

Post by Fellblade »

I sometimes use ink to thin my paint, instead of water. For example if I'm painting something red, very often thinning the red with water will result in poor coverage on the figure. Using red or magenta ink to thin the red paint will prevent this problem and often add a depth to the color that paint alone doesn't give.

Once I took a Clan War undead samurai, basecoated black, drybrushed white. The I used only inks for the colors, just washed them on liberally. It was the best-looking, fastest-painted (apart from drying time) figure I've ever done. Sadly, Tomb Kings do not reward this technique...
Competition is the whetsone of talent.
Lateo
Noble

Post by Lateo »

You should mix the 2, I do and I´m pretty happy with the result.
music