my shaggoth and hydra conversion

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Ghlaith
Slave (off the Altar)

my shaggoth and hydra conversion

Post by Ghlaith »

here my plan i intend to take the bottom half of the shaggoth(the dragon part), and then using the heads and top half of the hydra(i will hack saw lots of things) make a big rearing hydra. now i was wondering if anyone here has both models and can tell, me wether the are of simlar size?
i think they r about the same and any gaps will be filled in with green stuff. so thoughs suggestions
pray,i don't take you alive
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

This sounds like an awesome idea - post some pics if it turns out.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Ghlaith
Slave (off the Altar)

im new to dark elves

Post by Ghlaith »

im new to dark elves.(i have yet to lose a battle :twisted: ). and i was wondering wether any of u experts think that a hydra would b useful against high elves and beastmen(amonst others)
Sureal
Master of the Shadows

Post by Sureal »

I was gonna do this - until I noticed that the dragon part of the Shaggoth has bits of hair on it. Whilst this really isn't much of a deal, I don't really picture my Hydra having hair. I could probally file it off, and fix it up with green stuff, but I'm lazy ya see :roll:.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: im new to dark elves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

ghlaith wrote:im new to dark elves.(i have yet to lose a battle :twisted: ). and i was wondering wether any of u experts think that a hydra would b useful against high elves and beastmen(amonst others)

You should post this question to either the tactics of the armylist forum sections, not painting and modeling.

That being said, I think it would be useful against the beastmen. The beasts are a low-leadership army, and so terror can play havoc with them.
Seth
Beastmaster
Location: In happyland ! dancing, singing and dallying with all my cute bunny-friends !

Post by Seth »

mmmm ... havoc ... :twisted: , Druchii style 8)
The darkness you see in those around you may not really be in them, but the shadow self within that you are projecting
Lord k
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lord k »

that conversion would rock i may just have to steal the idea
Buying Warhammer minis - expensive as hell

Seeing grown men list their win/loss/draw results in their sigs as though it compensates for anything - priceless.

www.pimpcostumes.com for all your clothing needs...
Ghlaith
Slave (off the Altar)

well thank u all for the positive comments but none one...

Post by Ghlaith »

has given me any information
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

You're right - nobody has responded to your question.

The models are fairly close in scale, and the conversion should work. I think what you'll need to make a decision, though. The first option would be to cut the Shaggoth in half at the waist, taking away all the humanoid part of him. You would then take the hydra torso that the necks attach to, cut the back part off of it and pin that to the Shaggoth torso. You'll have to do some gap-filling with green-stuff between the hydra part and the Shaggoth part, but will then be able to attach the necks without too much difficulty. One problem is that since the body of the hydra is fairly horizontal, you may end up with some of the heads pointed nearly backwards when you attach it more vertically to the body of the Shaggotth.

A Second option would be to remove the head and arms of the Shaggoth, leaving part of the humanoid torso. You would use this upper part of the torso simply as a piece of metal to pin the necks into, and would model over it with greeen stuff. The advatage of this is that you could play around with the angles of the necks and heads more, but there would be some pretty extensive putty work involved.

Either way, it is not going to be a conversion for beginners, but if well executed, I think it could be awesome!
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

The conversion sounds great, but this thread belongs in the painting and modelling forum so I'll move it there. It'll get a better response there.

Leithel
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Ocean soul
Dark Rider

Post by Ocean soul »

great idea!
...but that's just my 2 cents
Jargobae
Terror of the South

Post by Jargobae »

im new to dark elves.(i have yet to lose a battle

you must be then !lol!

No the idea is good but be wary of the hydra being too vertical.

to combat this simply bend the legs of the shaggoth instead
Do you hate Malekith?

Are you interested in seeing the overthrow of his incompetence to be replaced by a system capable of taking Ulthuan back??

Join the spirit of Lakulei today - PM me now!
Darktremere
Shade

Post by Darktremere »

I was thinking about using the new Chaos Dragon's heads for a hydra, they are only a little bit bigger that the regular hydra's head. I wanted a little more variaty in my Hydra's
Enslave those you do not crush.
Drachanthir
Black Guard

Post by Drachanthir »

I love the idea and would suggest cutting in half and pinning the bit where the hydra's heads attach to the original body because the musculature is already there and is easily blended to the shaggoth's front legs. Don't worry about the heads pointing backwards- at least one should, for added effect- because you can fairly easily turn the necks in their join and you'll be using a lot of green stuff anyway. I would be concerned that the model might be front or side-heavy, so you should play around with the positioning of the necks to get it as balanced as possible. I assume you'll be pinning it to the base, but you might want to consider weighting the base with a stone or something to help balance.

This is not an easy conversion by a long stretch, but should look awesome on the board- a large terror-causing target, more to scale than the feeble stretched cold one we now have :o .
"I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh, with the blood of the slain and the captives, from the heads of the leaders of the enemy."
Deut.32:42
Swedenpack
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Swedenpack »

ok, I have a radical idea for a hydra, Ill poste it when I gett all parts figured out but first I want to know what you guys think of using Saurusheads (whit a bit of convertion) as hydra heads. (note that Im not plaing to use anny fo the paets from our hydra, it will be quite slum in comparecent.)

What do you think?
Marriage is the only war where you sleep with the enemy.
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

I don't think they'd look fightening enough. The mouths are too small... I like my monsters to have big teeth you see :mrgreen:

But maybe the heads of a few Salamanders would fit the bill?
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."
Drachanthir
Black Guard

Post by Drachanthir »

Yeah, what about carnosaur heads?
"I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and my sword shall devour flesh, with the blood of the slain and the captives, from the heads of the leaders of the enemy."
Deut.32:42
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

Too big I suspect... not as much the size as the build, though. The Carnie looks like an overgrown cold one IMO, whereas a dragon head which is about the same size is much sleeker and would probably fit better.
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

I'm using a Wood Elf Dragon model, with extra Dragon heads to do mine. I posted a little more on it (including links to a couple of pictures) in the other hydra conversion thread thats open at the moment:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=10994
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.