painting DE cold-ones and hydra

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

painting DE cold-ones and hydra

Post by Sortelveren »

hi!
i need some advice on how to paint some models.i just started on a regiment of DE cold one knights, and was wondering how to paint them. ive decided to paint them with camo green, but what ink should i use, cause camo green isnt actually dark enough. anyother ideas on how to paint them?

another thing id like to ask, is how u have painted ur hydra. i was thinking of giving it a red colour, using a dark red as undercoat. or should i drop this idea? :roll:

greeting from denmark
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

Hello from Belgium... the points are...

No, seriously, for my CoK's the last highlight is done with Camo Green.

I start with Chaos Black primer, a very wet Dark Angels Green drybrush (contradictory, I know, but the drybrush should only leave the deepest crevasses black).

Green Ink wash followed by another Dark Angels Green drybrush (this time a lot less wet).

The drybrush of Camo Green over the scales and a very light drybrush of that same colour over the most pronounced muscles.

The scales that run over the creatures spine are Bestial Brown basecoat over the Chaos Black primer; drybrush with Bleached Bone, Brown Ink wash, redrybrush with Bleached Bone and to finish off, a very light drybrush with Skull White.

The idea of a red Hydra sounds nice, but as I see the Dark Elves as a very "elite" army, with all the same uniforms all spic & span, check if the colour you want to use doesn't make it differ too much from the rest of your army. The sight of a whole DE army painted in a consistent colour scheme is fear-/awesome to behold :twisted:
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
Sortelveren
Dark Emissary

Post by Sortelveren »

youve got a point there. a red hydra would look very different. but what about a blue variant. like painting it with a very dark blue nad highlighting it with some lighter blue? im still interested in hearing how other people painted there hydra and cold ones
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

Well, my Hydra is still suck somewhere halfway the pinning process so I can't tell you what it looks like.

I'm planning on making it look like the Cold Ones, only a darker look...

Blue sounds nice too...

Btw, the red variant wouldn't differ too much from my army, all the armour is red.
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
Elvenknight
Elf on the Altar with the Axe

Post by Elvenknight »

All of my monsters (harpies,cold ones, SDC & Hydra) are all a dark purple. Thisis also reflected in the core troops with purple robes, showing they are used like monsters. The purple paints I use are liche & imperial purple & midnight blue. Overall it gives the army a rather nocturnal look.
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" untill you can find a big stick.

The Album is here for all your army photos - Album Moderator
Vincent corell
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Vincent corell »

Greetings all

Well my cold ones ( with the execption of malus) are painted with a regal blue base coat ( i don't undercoat my models) followed by a blue wash ink.

The higher points on the models are then drybrushed with enchanting blue

The scales are drybrushed with Goblin green then highlighted with skul white.

As for the hydra well i dont have one so i cant comment but i imagine that it would be like the royal war hydra on page 128 in the 2002 anual minus the the plates and major conversions

-Vincent Corell-
how do i set this lazer printer to STUN
Saq
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Saq »

CO - black primer, cammo green, wash of watered down mix of cammo green and chaos black, light drybrush with cammo green. Paint the scales with a mix of cammo green and chaos black. Looks about the sames as the CO in the DE book (main army).

Hydra - as the veteran hydra in WD. But note this, by using that sceme, you don´t get a hydra as grey as in the pictures. It is a much bluer tone in real life. If you whan´t the light grey to simulate age, avoid the Space Wolfs Grey and Ghostly Grey, they are to "bluegray".

Spite (Malus´CO) - as my hydra above, but make the scales darker by mixing chaos black in the base colour.
Lord dalamar do'urden
Morathi's Champion

Post by Lord dalamar do'urden »

I painted my cold ones black then highlighted up to very light grey. then I mixed 50-50 dark green ink and black ink 50 per cent water and washed the models with it.
Phil
Shadowblade503
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shadowblade503 »

Me i under coated my cold ones with chaos black then flecked some
a dark blue forgot which one,then i painted its back spine boltgun metal
which i considered armor. Also its upper part of its face was all boltgun metal except for nose holes and eyes.
[/url]
Stupidity should be punished, so kill a high elf today!!!
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Those two types of models are some of the most fun to paint. I like to make both of them more reptilian in colour so they end up green to a certain extent. The COs are done with a dark angels green and then some black ink. The top scales are made black with a green highlight on the edge. The scales on the side are painted with goblin green. BTW, all these are apporximate paints. I've never painted a cold one using GW paints.
My hydra is done much the same way, except darker. You can still motoce that its green, but its darkness makes it look more menacing and the yellow eyes really stand out that way. The scales are painted with the goblin green and the "spines" are painted in bleached bone. Looks very nice if I do say so myself.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Lord khelek
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lord khelek »

Greetings.

Cold Ones: Chaos Black undercoat, Camo green all over the body, Dark Angels Green on the scales, and wash of Dark Angels Green all over.

Hydra: Chaos Black Undercoat, Codex Grey all over, Camo Green Drybrush, Skull White Drybrush. I coloured the scales with a mix of Warlock purple and Pallid Flesh.
"He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat."