painting my warriors

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Sheth_kynth
Black Guard
Location: Around that one place by the other place that is close to that one weird building...

painting my warriors

Post by Sheth_kynth »

yeah i am gonan by my first box of warriors!!! woohoo!!! and i want to have red on them not liche purple i cant stand purple ick! so i was asking waht is a good way to paint dark elves cloak red with out it looking to dark and crappy
Death To All Followers of Slaanesh!!
Lord meaglin
Highborn

Post by Lord meaglin »

it shows you how to paint them red
in the army book
hullo wat yar du in ahrrr
Lolindir_lossehelin
Dark Rider

Post by Lolindir_lossehelin »

Haven't got time to post a pic now but the red on my warriors is the same as on my corsairs i.e. this red: http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=520
This is a Black under coat, basecoat of terracotta (old old ciitadel paint, not sure if they still do it, but any acrylic terracotta will do) with strong highlights of blood red.
Lolindir, Dark master of Disco
Obsidianichor
Cold One Knight

Post by Obsidianichor »

I use a black and red color scheme for my army, and here's how I paint my reds:

undercoat: sprayed black
base coat: crimson gore (now called...red gore?)
highlight coat: blood red
going for even more (characters sometimes): faint highlight in fiery orange

I usually do several drybrushing layers in Crimson Gore, until I get a nice smooth base coat that still leaves the deepest shadows black. I then drybrush over in Blood Red until I get much a tone that I like. For characters or other special paint jobs, I sometimes take Fiery Orange, and drybrush just a little over the highest areas.

Also...if you want a very shiny or wet looking red, go a little heavier with the Fiery Orange layer, then put one or more layers of Red Wash over it...putting about 5+ thin layers of Red Wash over this style does VERY well for painting blood.
-ObsidianIchor

Armies:
Druchii: 4000+
DIY Marines: 4000+
Tyranids: 6000+
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

Reds can be one of the trickiest colors to paint if you don't know how.

Remember highlight by adding yellow to make it more orange rather than adding white which will make it more pinkish.

I would use Red Gore --> Blood Red --> Blazing Orange. It works great, just remember to use decreasing amounts of each. Only put a tiny bit of the orange to make the details more crisp. Otherwise you will have an orange looking model.

Green goes well with red as its complement, however you can always use black or other neutral colors as they work nicely aswell.
There once was a High Elf named Bill
He went out and fought with all his will
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
And that was the end of poor Bill.
----
Try out the Warlord at http://www.druchii.net/tbf/Warlord_v1.00.zip
Kraven norseslayer
Black Guard

Post by Kraven norseslayer »

My warriors have red clothing.
Here's a picture.

http://www.druchii.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=352

The way I did it was use a 50/50 mix of red gore and black as a basecoat, highlight with red gore leaving darker colour in the recess' and then highlight with blood red.

If you want the red to remain quite dark leave it there, however if you want a brighter red, highlight again with blazing orange.

One all the highlights are done bring them all together with a wash of red ink and there you go.

Happy painting :lol:
Last edited by Kraven norseslayer on Wed May 05, 2004 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheth_kynth
Black Guard
Location: Around that one place by the other place that is close to that one weird building...

Post by Sheth_kynth »

thx for your help guys and nice lookin models there guys
Death To All Followers of Slaanesh!!