Shield of Ghrond question

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Dilvish
Dark Rider

Shield of Ghrond question

Post by Dilvish »

What do you guys use for the Shield of Ghrond? I have a noble on a Cold One with a unit of COKs. His shield is blank (unlike the other COK models in the unit). I painted the trim in bright gold but the background in a Sky Blue finished with Sky Blue Ink. The result is an icy "cool" color that looks kind of "wintery." The Shield of Ghrond is described in our manual as being shaped into the face of an ice demon. Is my shield good enough or do I have to actually make a shield into a face, somehow? What do you guys do? My normal opponents are very relaxed and don't mind what I use, but I don't want to encounter any wysiwyg problems later.
Binky
High Chief Lord Mod of Funnyness

Post by Binky »

This is the wrong forum...Try the new Rules Questions forum
Dilvish
Dark Rider

you are preventing me from deleting this post!

Post by Dilvish »

I am sorry for posting in the wrong forum. For the longest time, this was the right place for such inquiries. I would be happy to delete this post "Death & Binky" but your reply is effectively preventing me from doing so! If a moderator sees this, please delete this post. i will then ask this question in the appropriate forum. Thank you. :)
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Death & Binky wrote:This is the wrong forum...Try the new Rules Questions forum

This has nothing to do with rules at all.

It actually should be in the Painting and Modeling section.
Dilvish
Dark Rider

Okay, now I am getting annoyed

Post by Dilvish »

I just posted this in the forum "Death & Binky" told me too and someone there told me it wasn't the correct forum but was instead for RPG questions. Aargh! All I want is an answer to my question. It is a valid question, not a slur or spam or some such nonsense! :x
Last edited by Dilvish on Wed Nov 06, 2002 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

I use the old Chaos Lord shield. It has the picture of a demon's face already on it.

I can try to post a link for you later.
Binky

Post by Binky »

ARGH! Sorry about that! I'm going blind and I'm jumping to conclusions :oops: I thought that it was a question about the rules of the Shield of Ghrond.... Must kill self...

:idea: Self flagellation - that's the key :roll:
Binky

Post by Binky »

Oh yes, also please note: Anything the user "Death & Binky" may say is subject to utmost suspicion and must be taken with a pinch of salt. Furthermore the defendant wishes it to be known that he may be suffering from temporary delusions that he is a small round piece of Wrigley's chewing-gum who worships a polkadot spoon. That is all

:roll:
Dilvish
Dark Rider

Post by Dilvish »

Still waiting on an answer here... What do you guys do for the Shield of Ghrond? It is a popular magic item, right? Okay, how do you guys field it? PLEASE. :!:
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Uhh... I already posted above. I use the Chaos Lord Shield /w the Deamon face on it.
Metallurgist
Cold One Knight

Post by Metallurgist »

The differently painted shield is perfectly alright.

I think the main issue with wysiwyg is that the model has to have the right weaponry, ie if he carries a lance, the model should have a lance; he carries a great weapon? The model must have a great weapon.

Magic items do not need to be perfectly represented, if your model has 'a' shield it's alright. You already went one step further by painting his shield differently.

About the forums confusion: I really don't like that many forums, and it's not really necessary either. A separate forum for army lists, and one for general warhammer topics (non-druchii) should be enough IMO.

-Metallurgist
Dilvish
Dark Rider

Post by Dilvish »

Thank you "GrogsnotPowwabomba" and "Metallurgist." These are the kinds of replies I am looking for. :D Thank you VERRRRY much :!:
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

either use the old chaos lord shield or just paint it up to look liek a face is top marks.

also good is to paint it differently to make ti clear it isn't an ordinary shield.

acceptebale is to just use a shield.

the above is my views on the subject at hand
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

GrogsnotPowwabomba wrote:It actually should be in the Painting and Modeling section.

Indeed!

Don't worry Dilvish, the thread got moved into the correct place now, but it'll still be accessible from the Discussion forum, just try to post on the correct forums in future! Thanks! :)

Bye
Thanee
Binky

Post by Binky »

Paint it in a way that makes it recognisable from a normal shield, I would say that a blue paint job would be enough. The old Chaos lord shield is really great for this purpose however. (He's mounted, I think he's still available in a blister pack his horse is rearing and he has a huge axe so he's easily recognisable). Alternatively you could just get that shield through your store Mail Order point.

The Dark elf player at my store just uses a normal shield painted with a swirling blue colour scheme which looks really great and no-one has a problem with him using it.
Dragnipur
Cold One Knight

Post by Dragnipur »

I used one of the banner tops from the boxed set (the facething), painted it dark blue, glued it to a shield, and painted the shield itself in space wolves grey. Looks kind of icy, and is original...
Khaela Mensha Khaine
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

For me, as long as the guy has got a shield, you can pay for making it the shield of Ghrond.

Now, it can only be encouraged if you want to make yours special, so I had this idea :

You know anyone that plays Chaos?
In the Marauder plastic box there is a shield with a face stretched out over it... You could use that shield or cut away the shield around the face and glue the face to the shield of your choice.
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before