Who has conversion ideas for manflayers?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Vraneththecruel
Noble

Who has conversion ideas for manflayers?

Post by Vraneththecruel »

looki this: http://merchantprince.homestead.com/Manflayers.html

After reading these rules, I am quite keen on creating my own unit of Manflayers (Im a conversionaholic) and want to know if any of you more experienced players have any ideas for me.
My avatar is kind of hypocritical isnt it?
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Well the mind flayers are obviously shades, so that's a good place to start. Cloaks from human skin couldn't be single peice so you could mod some stitching onto the existing cloaks, extend them a little and make them look a little more ridgid. The own might be difficult, hard one to modell with green stuff. I would suggest a minature range otuside GW, check some sites.

Check out the rumor images on portent.net tos ee the "work in progress" that GW put into the manflayers before it was cancelled if you want inspiration.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Vraneththecruel
Noble

thanks. and its MAN flayers. ;)
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Yeah sorry, slip of the tongue from my D&D days.
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore --
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking "Nevermore."

E. A. Poe
Gzaytleo
Noble

Post by Gzaytleo »

Think if GW made a new ROR whos name was Mind flayers :shock: cooooooool!!!!!!!
Long time no see.
Vraneththecruel
Noble

how do you flay a mind?
Gzaytleo
Noble

Post by Gzaytleo »

with psychic powers :twisted:
Long time no see.
Vraneththecruel
Noble

oh, of course... :)
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

I think I had my mind flayed in 1972 when I was in Vietnam. I think it was 1983 when I got it back.....hahahaha
If you run, you'll just die tired
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

All kidding aside, 1)start with corsairs and plastic warrior repeater x-bow arms. Remove the corsair's dagger arm at the elbow. Some have dagger in left hand, some have it in right hand. That's ok because our plastic x-bows are like that too. For the right hand holding the x-bow, use the x-bow that's held with two hands and carefully remove the the left hand that's holding the forestock of the x-bow. Sand or file it smooth where the hand was. While green stuff is still soft, rub it into gaps of the seadragon scales of the cloak. Or, use the dremel tool I mentioned in another article here to carefully grind the scales off of it. Option #2)Use our plastic warriors and make up normal repeater x-bow warriors. Two options for the manhide capes are to either flatten out some green stuff and mold it on, or purchase through mail order 10 old plastic chaos warrior accessory sprues. They're a $1.50 (US) each and have a plastic cape,big sheathed sword and some spiky bits. I did the last one because I'm not any good at sculpting green stuff; I couldn't get the wrinkles and folds in the manhide cape to look like I wanted them to. Remember the manflayers' uniform: light armor, shield, sword, rpt.x-bow, manhide capes. This combination gives you a 4+ save in both hth and against missile; plus -1 to hit as skirmishers and they scout like shades. These are "The Ultimate Shades" who in a unit of 10-15 can hold their own. Their only drawback is point cost. The listed 20pts each would be incorrect. start with the normal shade cost of 14pts. Add light armor(+1), shield(+1), cape(+1)= 17pts each. Tactically, it's 1pt less than a bare dark rider, but a much better armor save(4+), skirmish(-1 to hit), scout(already hidden in range), equal firepower and BS to a 24pt dark rider with x-bow. The drawback is using a rare slot on your army list. I can still see plenty of uses against T3 horde type armies like gobbos and skaven or as good war machine hunters. Helllooo Mengil !!
Gzaytleo
Noble

Post by Gzaytleo »

Option #3: Use shades and Paint the Capes in Rotting Flesh (The capes cant stay fresh for that long) and paint the inside of the cape with Red gore.
Long time no see.
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

But they're suppossed to have light armor, and the shade models don't show any. That's why I'd used the other methods (WYSIWYG). You might run into an opponent that's reall picky about this. You'd have to let him know before the game that they have light armor to avoid arguments about WYSIWYG.
Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

but in the shade options you can take light armour, i dont use shades, just rxbmen painted dark
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

That'll work!