Cold One color schemes

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Double-edge
Corsair

Cold One color schemes

Post by Double-edge »

How do you guys paint your COs? I don't have any yet but when I do I'd like them to look nice. I want a unique color scheme, something that will make them stand out from the rest of my army and not look too much like the ones in the army book.
Delekth
Corsair

Post by Delekth »

hi, To paint my cold ones I spray them black and dry brush them codex gre, then i paint the scales complete codex grey. i do the teeth and claws a base coat of snakebite leather and paint half of each tooth and claw bleaches bone. finally i paint the eye redan give it a little dot of white near the back back of the eye.
Hope this helps ,Delekth

:twisted: pain is temporary,pride is forever! :twisted:
Naram sin
Assassin

my COK

Post by Naram sin »

I paint them with black, then drybrush brown and white. Ive newer seen anyone who paint Cold One in this way. Knight is silwer with some black and blue addings
Elvenknight
Elf on the Altar with the Axe

Post by Elvenknight »

I paint mine Midnight blue with completely black scales. It fits in nicely with the theme of my army as all of the monsters in my army are a dark purple. Also the robes of my core troops are purple showing they are used like monsters :D
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" untill you can find a big stick.

The Album is here for all your army photos - Album Moderator
Vraneththecruel
Noble

Post by Vraneththecruel »

I leave most of them black (with details, of course, of course) and paint theyre scales a mix of shadow grey and chaos black. Then I gihlight the scales with shadow grey. The big ones going up and down its back and its horns are given a basecoat of bestial brown and them went over with bleached bone.
My avatar is kind of hypocritical isnt it?
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

The way I paint cold ones: Base coat the whole thing in chaos black. Then, do the skin in dark angels green. Apply black ink wash over green. Leave the top scales black and hightlight with dark argels green. Do the scales in goblin green and highlight in dark angels green. Claws and teeth done with bleached bone and red gore for gums while blood red for the tongue.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Auric stormcloud
The Black Serpent

Post by Auric stormcloud »

I paint mine with a chaos black undercoat, the scaly green for the skin, blood red for the eyes and tounge, another coat of chaos black for the scales, and bleached bone for the claws and teeth.
Poo-tee-weet?
Bane of ulthuan
Shade

Post by Bane of ulthuan »

Okay, here's how I've been doing them.

Undercoat Chaos Black. Scaly green over this leaving the recesses and small gaps between the scales black.

Then I do two drybrush stages with two of the lighter greens (Jade Green and I can't remember the other. It's not Camo, Scorpion or Goblin so it's whatever's left). :? ***Edit note - Got it. It's now 3 days later, but it's Vile Green. Good God, 3 days to remember that? Time to give up eating nothing but cheeze-wizz me thinks. It's clearly having an effect.***

I then add a thin layer of Rotting Flesh to the scales and paint a jagged/scale pattern on the scales on its spine.

I then do the tongue in Liche purple with a slight red wash, its teeth bestial brown, leprous brown and then bleached bone and the eyes Sunburst yellow with a chaos black thin line and a dot of skull white to show light catching it.

*out of breath* There, I think that's it. Oh, wait the talons on it's feet. Ah, go on, see if you can guess..... :D
Last edited by Bane of ulthuan on Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You leave your heart behind, you/leave your soul behind, you
Leave your head
And leave your mind
You won't need it where we're going
Still I see your black stars when you're coming for me
Well don't it just fit like that?
Double-edge
Corsair

Post by Double-edge »

hmm let me see. it must be tentacle pink! jk. its probably bleach bone
Bane of ulthuan
Shade

Post by Bane of ulthuan »

My God....how did you guess? It is tentacle pink!!! :D

Nah, firstly I paint them bleached bone. Then, starting at the toe, I add layers of scorched brown, bestial brown, and finally snakebite leather, blending the snakebite with bleached bone, and then a final highlight of bleached bone on it's own.

I know it's not the done thing to start light and work dark but it works for the way I paint the pattern on the talons (it's like the effect you see on the horns of Bloodletters or Bloodthirsters in WD. That 'spiked' effect coming out of the brown into the bleached bone.)
You leave your heart behind, you/leave your soul behind, you
Leave your head
And leave your mind
You won't need it where we're going
Still I see your black stars when you're coming for me
Well don't it just fit like that?
Pestario
Slave on the Altar

Post by Pestario »

I undercoat white, skin is Camo Green, with Dark green wash, then drybrushed light green and yellow on under belly and face.

Sacles are Midnight blue, highlighted with Ultramarine blue and I paint the scales going up the spine to appear a boany color, bestial brown, bleached bone the white.

I just found this site, I can post pics if anyone would like to see them
Double-edge
Corsair

Post by Double-edge »

I was looking for more of a brownish look, a light brown. I don't know the exact colors but I saw a pic of a CO (mounted by a saurus champ i think) that was this nice milky brown color with dark brown for scales. It looked really nice.