{PLOG} Fallens paint table of infinite distractions

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

{PLOG} Fallens paint table of infinite distractions

Post by xFallenx »

Well I took some photos of my army, which is basically WIP at this point. I joined an escalation league a couple months ago, so I've had the fever for getting units table ready.

*Edit*:
~ I am going to use this plog to house all of the armies I have through both Fantasy as well as 40K.
~ It will contain photos of my finished armies as well as the ones that are WIP.
~ I'll erase comments older than 3(ish) months in order to keep it clean & focused on the work, hopefully making a browse easier for anyone taking a look.
~ I'm thinking of just adding the new units into the entries for each army so that all of my updates for each will be contained within one post.

The armies that I'm working on in stages & as inspiration grabs hold of me:
Dark Elves
Bret's
Deamons(Fan & 40K bases)
Grey Knights
Sisters
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Here are a few shots of my DE army all laid out:

Dark Riders: 16 of which I got from someone on this site, the paintjob is as amazing & better then I expected:

2 Chariots from the same trade, same paint skill, I wish I had the name of the artist so I could credit him. They have been an inspiration for my knights, which I am almost finished painting.

WIP Bolt throwers:
I have been taking my time on these as they won't hit the table in this escalation so I'm only applying washes to push myself. So far it's take a lot of patience, but the wooden parts are really starting pop.

Harpies. The first unit I painted for the league. After dropping the game in 6th ed & throughout 7th, this is what I got. Not 100% satisfied, but they'll do for now. I have another 10 Gargoyle wings for a 2nd attempt in the future.

Shades. Very happy with the cloaks, not very happy with the faces. I can't seem to get any detail. My hands shake like mad and the faces tend to show exactly that. Thinking about getting paint pens for the eye's & lips and working on my skin washes.

50 Spears. I used Army painter purple for a base coat, wish I hadn't. The highlight colour I chose for them is beading up as opposed to settling where I stroke. Not sure what to do at this point. Work still needs to be done on the standard & movement tray as well.

My two Hydra's.
I painted the handlers for both as well as the one on the left, his highlights washed out when I applied a final wash over the model so I still need to finish the final highlights as well as work on a suitable base.

40 RBX that won't make it into this escalation league, but will be painted sharpish so as to field a slogger army in the future. There are times I feel nakid without at least a small unit of them, but so far I haven't been wishing I had them, fingers crossed.

My Dragon lord, in dire need of a re-paint. I think I'll give it a try this week once my knights are finished. I want him to have gold armour to match the knights, but am also playing around with the idea of trying out my planned Grey Knight Paladin colours on him.
Idea is to base coat bright yellow and wash whit till the armour achieves a 'glow' the purple cloak & obsidian dragon should provide suitable contrast.

26 Execs & I'm looking for a suitable unit filler to bring it to 35. They will also miss the escalation, so these will be finished sometime in the future as I love them, so much so that I pinned every single sword in place. There are a smattering of minor sword conversions within the unit as well (the 16 in the rear are still unfinished & the standard looks terrible)

this is the first DE unit I ever painted. I still love them, though they could use a wash and highlight to really make them shine. Also not making it into an escalation list. The two un-painted mini's are female pirates that I'm going to use as unit champs and potentially characters in a druchii landing force warband.

My Witches. They are in need of a wash & highlight as well. They were the second Druchii unit I ever painted. I wanted them to have a cauldron unit filler, hence the pink skin. I'm still looking for something suitable for this unit of 30ish ladies. I've rounded out the unit(& cauldrons) with 9-10 Kelt Fianna's for some variety.

2 units of Black Guard. Not going to make the escalation armies either, but I am looking forward to painting these guys asap.

16 knights. They are in the midst of being washed & highlighted. I hope to have them done this week. They are three editions based together. They'll form three units based on mount. The banner needs a reduex.

My BSB, Female Slaaneshi lord, both are Kelts, and going to take up residence on a classic COB. The token is for KB, obvious WIP, also not making an escalation army, so it'll sit for a bit longer.

Morathi & Malus. Malus is going to act as my master in the CoK bus.

DL, Witch & Slaaneshi Lord.

Hag & Morathi

Two more random casters:
1 vintage GW & the other is a Kelt hero
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Shot of everything I still need to paint:
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

And a parting shot of the table top ready portion of my army. Thanks to the escalation league, this has doubled in two months.

Anyway, I'll post more as I work through stuff. Thanks for looking, and please feel free to leave comments.
F
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Fallen's PLOG

Post by xFallenx »

Two units of 10 Bret archers, working on another 2 units of 10. These will represent Skelitons in a VC army:
They have more depth in person, but it's subtle, so I'm thinking of some white edging/eye's to make them pop a little bit more, maybe a final wash of green if I'm still not satisfied.

Here is a photo of my 48 Knights & 44 Men @ arms from fire forge:
The knights will be much more colourful then either the M@A's & Archers (Which will represent either ghouls or zombies depending on the VC list)

Here's a shot of a GW archer alongside a Fireforge crossbowman:

Two more units of 10 undead Bret archers:
And the Finished archer units together. I have a Unit of 12 Knights Errant planned for June.
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Fallen's {PLOG}

Post by xFallenx »

Grey Knights:
Coatez:
WIP on the armour as it hasn't turned out quite how I imagined.
vindicare assassin:
Unit of Cortez Henchmen being pulled into a Slanneshi dimension:
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: {PLOG} Fallens paint table of infinite distractions

Post by T.D. »

Really like your old skool Corsairs.

Also, the Slaaneshi Dreadpeg is great! :D
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

And I thought I had a lot of unpainted stuff sitting around ...

I like the Execs. You should do your future stuff consistent with them.
Truly These are the End Times ...
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

You've got some work ahead of you - I'll give you that much!

What are your overall plans for the army - there is quite a mish mash of colours/basing techniques. Do you plan to consolidate the look and feel of the army to compliment each other.

Unusual colour scheme for the old school corsairs the green and the purple could make for one very vibrant army.

What's the escalation league you are referring too? Does it help make you paint faster/more? I could use some motivation with my army - currently got 40 witch elves to paint.

Glad you've setup a plog - good to see your work!

CoK
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

First of all, thanks for taking the time to look & comment. I need all of the inspiration I can get.

Truthfully, I have to say that I am overwhelmed with the sheer amount of models to paint, this is what happens when you collect for 15 years and paint only through 3 of them. This army is my first love, & the corsairs/Scouts/Morathi/Assassin were the first units I had laid paint brush on. I later painted my WE’s while the rest of the army was tucked away, so the bases started losing their way at that point.

I envision my foot troops based with a beachhead invasion. The faster moving units (DR’s, Chariots, Flyers) will have a dusk plains/wooded base. I’ve been spending what little time I have touching up my CO’s & Blackguard.

I’ve also started re basing the DL on the appropriate base, I’m currently looking for bits to use on it. I have parts of a HE chariot I think will look good.

So far as the colours, I obviously like trashy garishness. That being said, I think the green corsairs will be the only unit to survive as is while everything else will revert to Purple & Gold or be re-based. Thing is I hate green, but I love how it turned out on my Corsairs, the way it shoves the purple into the background. The unit could still use a wash or two, but is otherwise the unit needing the least amount of love.

I’m in a league that pushes us to paint a unit or 200pts/month. When I first got involved (5 months in) I needed to get 10 Harpies, 5 DR’s (The seekers of Slannesh (the 16 DR were still in transit, so I choose the Seekers to add to my daemon army in the interim) 50ish spears, hydra & the peggy lord ready in two weeks. (Everything with brown bases as I didn’t know which way to go so far as the basing went).
This turned out to be both a blessing & a curse. I got everything up to 3 colours and a basic base, the problem is that none of the units are finished and that it’s at a point that it’s a frustration as to where to start (Which is why I’m working on my Bretonnians instead, I’m building/painting them unit by unit, much more satisfying.)

I've added a few more photo's to the GK's as well as my Brets.