quality d/riders, any ideas?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Highdruchii
Slave (off the Altar)

quality d/riders, any ideas?

Post by Highdruchii »

I just can't get my dark steeds and dark riders to look right. Any ideas on highlighting the black of the steeds and riders? :?:
Countess
The Predator

Post by Countess »

They're meant to be dark, so be very sparing with the highlighting.

Also, you can try highlighting with a mixture of dark blue and black, rather than with grey (which is what is normally used). This will give the impression of a much deeper, cleaner black.

Countess. :twisted:
The Countess

ego autem dico vobis diligite inimicos vestros benefacite his qui oderunt vos et orate pro persequentibus et calumniantibus vos
Luxor moonprince
Executioner

Post by Luxor moonprince »

I've been painting Orcs and Gobbos over the last 4-5 months and only just come to DE a few weeks ago so I'm no painting expert!

For he tail and mane I started with a very dark blue/black and moved up to an almost Ice blue drybrush highlight on the ends of the tail and mane. (I agree with Countess about Blue looking good as a mixer to black.)

On the beasties body start with a basecoat of Chaos Black. Then add some highlighting over the raised areas of the steed with of dark grey (usually add a bit of Codex Grey to the Black to form your dark grey shade). Make sure you leave the darkest recesses black.

Then do subtle blending (or drybrushing if you feel more comfortable with that) on these raised areas by using another coat of very dark grey (thats slightly lighter than before with a bit more codex grey in). The first time I tried this, I added too much Codex and ended up with a grey horse! That's not what I was looking for. :) So be sparing in the amount of grey you add to the black.

Important though to try and thin your paints as much as you can, to get a nice smooth finish.

This is my first dark steed and I'm happy enough with the result so far, now how to do the rider hmmm :)

Last edited by Luxor moonprince on Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

Another option is to drybrush or highlight with a dark grey (mix a grey with black).
Afterwards, put over a very thinned down black wash... An easy way to make your highlights blend in with your Chaos Black.
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

Nice job Luxor Moonprince! I consider myself a very good modeller/converter, but I'm a sucky painter compaired to good painters. My solution was literally going from matte black to gloss black for highlights.
If you run, you'll just die tired
Redemptionist
Corsair

Post by Redemptionist »

i just highlighted mine from chaos black fairly lightly then did a glaze of watered down chaos black and it looked fine, did the same for the rider.
"In a gloom as wide as an eye i am fermenting,roiling hate, death grip in my veins unveiling rancid petals,flowering forth foul nectar the space between a blink and a tear.........Death Blooms"

Mudvayne-Death Blooms
Luxor moonprince
Executioner

Thanks Draichlord for the comment :) I'm terrible at modeling though!

Black is a tricky colour to highlight and as I said before can look far too grey if you you add too much skull/codex or use very sharp highlights.

I'll post up the completed picture when I've done the rider.

I'm still trying to paint 20 Empire Spearmen off quickly though for a friend! It should be within a week though. (I hope :))
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

To Luxor: How about I do the modelling and send it to you for painting? hahaha. I see you're from NW Uk. Anywhere near Lincolnshire? I do Revolutionary war re-enacting 1775-1783 as 10th regmt of foot light infantry. N.Lincolnshire is their home.
If you run, you'll just die tired
Luxor moonprince
Executioner

Draichlord wrote:To Luxor: How about I do the modelling and send it to you for painting? hahaha. I see you're from NW Uk. Anywhere near Lincolnshire? I do Revolutionary war re-enacting 1775-1783 as 10th regmt of foot light infantry. N.Lincolnshire is their home.

Ahhh well i've got enough to paint as it is! 2000pointer on the go and i'm struggling! :) My mate just gave me the original white dwarf model from about 1982 to paint. Certainly a challenge. :shock:

Lincolnshire, oh righty.... I'm actually from Alsager which is near Crewe so i'm a fair distance away.

Your Revolutionary War re-enacting sounds great fun..something I've considered at one point. Do you have a website for the 10th Regiment? I'd love to have a look at what you do.

Cheers

Lux
Shadow_blade
Warrior

Post by Shadow_blade »

the shown steed is quite good but is NOT for driders !!!
do the steed black and highlight it with codex grey
shadow blade Master of Assassins
Shadow_blade
Warrior

Post by Shadow_blade »

do the rider with black and highlight it with ghostly grey
Shadow_blade
Warrior

Post by Shadow_blade »

tell me for any others
Luxor moonprince
Executioner

There is no "one method" that you have to follow for Dark Riders. The point of modeling and painting is adapting the normal GW colours (if you want to) for your army.

So using different colours is perfectly acceptable. It would be rather boring if everyone had the same uniform for their army.