Hellebron by GeOrc -> Gold on GD Germany 2007

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]

Which special character you ever wished to see as conversion

Poll ended at Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:17 pm

Morathi
5%
Malus Darkblade
11%
Rakarth
11%
Hellebron
20%
Tullaris
44%
Kouran
9%

Total votes: 55

Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Fenix,
here a small appetizer to give a first idea:

http://www.druchii.net/album_pic.php?pic_id=3445
http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3445

Hope you like it

Regards GeOrc
Last edited by Georc on Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Frijoles negros
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Frijoles negros »

Yay!

Is that Drycha's head? Interesting choice. Looking good so far.
The artist formerly known as Maedhros.

|/^^^^^^^^^^^^^\ |______
|The Pimpmobile runs | |||'""|'"\___,
|over Bunny and Birdyl l||__|__|__|)
|(@)(@)"""""""""""""(@) (@)--------(@)
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

GeOrc wrote:The miniature will be relesed in the d.net Herald next issue and with a large P&M article in the german white dwarf issue.

You are very ambitious.
To give you some feedback on the german WD articles so far: Don't stop them! In two months I learned some little tricks to do a better painting than in the previous years. It is your guys articles what keeps me buying the WD, at least.

Keep it up!
../¨¨¨|
.|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
.~~ /|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
.|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
.[>o<]...Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
Fenix
Executioner

Post by Fenix »

Mm, well I like the body. But the head doesn't look very elvish this way ;)
Even if she is old and the cauldron she uses doesn't rejuvenate her that much she wouldn't lose her face characteristics and keep the rest of her body as normal.

Anyways its WIP I know, but just something noticeable. I'll keep further comments till I see the model done :)
"My time will come.. Like time always does. For everyone.."
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@Frijoles Negros
good to hear that you like her.

@ cat,
thanks for your kind words. The article series goes on until end of the year.

@ Fenix
be sure that I will convert the face too ;)

Here some progress of this day:

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3446
http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3447

Regards GeOrc
Morphian
Trainee Warrior

Post by Morphian »

Breathtaking, can't await to see what she will look like when she's finished. I already imagine her sitting on her manti...

keep on!

Morph
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Morphian,
many thanks. In the moment I work on the manti. The manti itself gets full armour and a full change of his pose. He will jump away from a rock he was hanging on. He will wear a saddle which consists of a slann skull and a backrest which consists of skulls and trophies of more than 4000 years of life and bloodtaking ;)

So far my outlook what will come

Regards GeOrc
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

wow, long since I've been to this forum and what could be better to start with than a topic I actually recognize :D

as always fabulous work from you GeOrc! The sculpting of the armor plates look fabulous! (although the shoulder pad might be a tad too thick on the edges?)

Edit: hmm, got to stop forgetting fluff :P

keep it up!
Last edited by Mar-win on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RasputinII wrote:FANTASTIC!

I LOVE IT SOO MUCH I AM USING CAPS - AND I HATE CAPS!
Morphian
Trainee Warrior

Post by Morphian »

@ mar-win,
Hellebron is thoroughly dedicated to khaine, so she can't posibbly be corrupted by slaanesh;-). I think georc uses the face of drycha to reflect hellebron's old age, since she's around for about 5000 years(but i think this belongs to the fluff section).

@ georc,
do you consider to re-do the manticore's wings as well? I must admit that i don't like the fact that GW gave him dragon wings(doesn't fit with the proportion of the manti).
Since you put him into a whole new pose this would be a great add. Can't expect to see your progress...
but take your time - gutes braucht nunmal sein zeit

greets, Morphian
Mar-win
Highborn

Post by Mar-win »

oh lol, my mistake (thats what you get for being away from gaming and fluff for too long!)
RasputinII wrote:FANTASTIC!

I LOVE IT SOO MUCH I AM USING CAPS - AND I HATE CAPS!
Aachil lathanast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Aachil lathanast »

Morphian wrote:@ georc,
do you consider to re-do the manticore's wings as well? I must admit that i don't like the fact that GW gave him dragon wings(doesn't fit with the proportion of the manti).
If anything I would make the manticores wings even larger. Realisticly looking the wing surface would have to be quite large to make such an enormous beast airborne.
Georc - if you decide to use GWs manticore I would suggest you heavily convert its head. Somehow it just does not resemble the lions one.
Great work on the miniature so far - I know I will be watching this topic closely in the coming weeks.
Weak perish so that the strong can live. It is the law of nature. It is the law of the Druchii.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi all,
thanks for all the comments, here my ideas for the manticor:

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3449
http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3450

The beast will jump away from a rock and spread his wings to for fly. The Manticor gets full plate armour and a wing conversion. I will use the plastic wings, but I will use two pairs to make them larger. Also I will add fur and will try to erase the scales on them. Also I think about replace the the horns with a second pair od claws.

Hope you like it ;)

Regards GeOrc
Ithron
Shade
Location: Inside, the Republic of Ireland. Reality, United States :(

Post by Ithron »

wackojacko55 wrote:i think you should do a shadow blade. the current one just looks like any normal assassin.

my vision is that he is crouching. on a rock or something else. with his arms straight out down his sides. his hands each holding a dagger/sword the size of his arms so that they point upwards/behind him. he also has a bottle of greenish liquid, which is his potion, on a chain around his neck. and with various stabbing intruments strapped onto his chest and legs. he is cloathed in a long black robe with the hood off. (it just goes down his arms and billows behind him) he doesent have any arm protectors because they look a bit like light armor and assassins and LA is a no no. his face should be in a kind of half smile. (have you ever seen a episode of dragon ball z? the evil type of smile where they only move 1 side of their mouth is the smile im looking for) and there should be wind blowing through is medium length hair.

failing that the current mallie model needs doing. the dragon looks just like a big lizzard. no terror at all.

Just got a picture in my head of what the Shadowblade would look like. For once in my life, the Dark-Shadow-Assassin-Silent-Blade-Death-Noob style is appealing to me. Normally, I see stealth as cowardice - just run up and fight like a man, but the model you described is brilliant!
"We shall strike down our foe with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."

- Malekith, the Witch King of Naggaroth
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Ithron,
yes that´s a really good descriptin with good ideas for shadowblade.
But let´s do his mistress first... Hellebron.

I added the armour to her manticor and start making the armatur for the base. Here the new pic

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3452

Feedback and ideas are welcome ;)

Regards GeOrc
Morphian
Trainee Warrior

Post by Morphian »

Hey,

georc, it's hard to add ideas while watching such a flawless miniature. Your inspiration for the Manticore's armour is from the armour from black guard or Malus Darkblade's cuirass, i can tell. Giving him armour reflects than Hellebron really has power over her mount, since the idea of applying armour on a spirited creature such as the Manti is very hard to imagine, even for DE. Through your concept I even consider now to take a Highbron on a Manti as army general.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Morphian
thanks a lot.
You are right the armour is inspirated by the black guard, also from the malus darkblade artwork. I try to get a druchii design as near as possible on the original one. I added allready the upper arm armour. It looks good but also I cover much the original miniature and in the end it should be visible a bit. It will be difficult to get a good mix of manti and armour. An other problem will be the helmet and the saddle design. In the beginning I had the idea to use a slann skull as saddle but I mentioned that Lord Kroaks skull is a bit to large for that. There isn´t much space for Hellebron to sit on and because her thong should be visible I must fínd an other solution for the saddle.

Ideas?

Regards GeOrc
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Man if i owned such a kool manticore I would be forced to use one, and I really hate thier stats. This looks simply stunning buddy. I really like the pose and the work. I am always amazed by just how smooth a finish you can get on your GS/BS work.

Two questions:
1) Are you gonna cast it? I know the ans is no, but one can dream can't they?
2) Have you ever done a Dragon? If so do you have pics? If not do you plan to do one?

Ras
Pleased to be back
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Ras

big nono to your first question, you know the reason ;)

no to your second (new ones, I own two from my 5th edition army) but I have plans for three different dragons (Rakarth, Malekith and a highborn, let´s see which one will be realised), but first I will finish my small temple of Khain army ^^

Here the new progress, more armour...

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3453
http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3454

and the beast out of the view of his victim

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3455

Hope you like it...
some feedback or discussion would be nice, it´s a bit boring only posting pics ;)

Regards GeOrc
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Overall: Awsome, but I am not massively keen on the helmet. Not the way you have done it, but having a helmet at all. Firstly because it takes away from the Manticores trademark: The maine. But mianly because I think it tunes down the natural ferocity of the beast. Helmets suggest human too much to also suggest bestile ferocity. I dunno, just makes it seem a little too tame. Its really nicely done, but yeah, I'm just not to keen on the idea of helmets for a manticore.

Don't get me wrong, I love the rest of the armour, btut with the helmet it looks like it should be walking on its hind legs and be riderless, if you see what I am getting at. More solider and less mount...

Also, curious about what its leaping off. Rock or Tree?

Ras

EDIT: Look forward to what ever Dragon you do. Dragons are great, and with your skills, well, who knows...
Pleased to be back
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Ras,
yes you are right with the maine, but I will try to add it in a different Way. Allready have some ideas to integrate them into the helmet. Beacuase of the helmet self. Many armoured beasts wear them. You are right with your opinion. I mentioned it by doing the first one (This result show the second try out ^^). Now the helmet is more a cap than a closed helmet and this design is ok in my eyes. I still have my problems with the loss of the main, but I´m sure I will solve this problem too. Only thing is that the rider sits in his neck so I will add plaits on the sides.

Because of the jumping point its a rock he was hanging on before he jumped off. I hope I can try to make this visible with the base design

How do others think about helmets and monsters?

Regards GeOrc
Xerasi
Highborn

Post by Xerasi »

I realy like you fig, amazing....
I'm realy not that shure about a helm, I think Ras is right, that it makes it a bit to much soldier like. I might concider droping the top of it, giving you the ability to make a nice big mane, have some armor, but not to much on the other hand.

On other notes, I'm a bit worried with right hand that is on. It somehow looks a bit to static on the pictures and not enough like the frenzied queen who is leaping out against any target, throwing her (almost) unprotected body at the enemy "knowing" that she will carve them limb by limb. Maybe it's because you are going for the parrying blade in her right hand?
If so you might concider holding it slightly infront of her in some sort of defending position.

Appart from the angle of the arm (from what I can see) it realy is a stunning model. Go with the helm, go with half of it, or completly without, im shure it will be stunning.

I just thought about a nother option for the helm. You might make it some sort of half helm, only guarding half of the head. This would enable you to show the real lion features, while it still has some sort of head protection. I don't know if it's a good idea, but I'm shure you know what to do :P

Best of luck with it, Xerasi
DoW 2/2.25k W-L-D: 22 - 4 - 3
Morphian
Trainee Warrior

Post by Morphian »

idea for the saddle: since you use malekith's legs you could try to use his saddle for seraphon, modify it a bit(by that I mean get the skull away) and put it on the Manti's cap/helmet. Dunno what it will look like though. Maybe you can give it a try if this saddle is somewhere around in your bits box.
Aachil lathanast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Aachil lathanast »

The helmet is quite nice but like the others have stated I have hoped for a larger maine. Helmet itself seems to be missing something - maybe you could add few more ornaments or a pair of larger horns ( or small bat like wings, or something similar ). What dou you intend to do with the wings? I myself am building a dragon now and I am stuck with how to dramatically increase wing size ( twice if possible ).
As to Hellebron - the only thing I dislike is the position of the torso. It would look much better if she was twisted a bit so that the left hand was pointing forward with levelled parrying blade.
Anyway great work and I will be looking forward what you do with the manties wings.
Weak perish so that the strong can live. It is the law of nature. It is the law of the Druchii.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi all,
here new progress,
I changed the helmet a bit and added plaits for showing his maine. The helmet design isn´t finished completly some details are still missing. Further I added more armour to his legs and back.
Hellebron get´s her face conversion. Now she looks more elfish. Also I added the saddle which based on a slann skull ^^

Hope you like it,
comments, feedback and critic are welcome

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3457
http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3458
http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3459
http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3460
http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3461

Regards GeOrc
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

That is just superb!! Why do I not read German!!

Also, what is the brown putty you use, and what are its advantages over green stuff?

Sean