A possible Hydra conversion and other ideas.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Kennethloh
The Lurker in the Shadows

A possible Hydra conversion and other ideas.

Post by Kennethloh »

One complaint I have with the Hydra is that it's a bit took long, kinda like a sausage dog. A rather expensive solution I thought up while browsing the store was to take the various heads/necks and attach them to the dragon-body of the new Dragon Ogre using Green Stuff. Will cost me a bomb, paying in S$ and all, but it would look nicer, meaner and fit on a 50*50mm base to boot. Hmm... A hydra with two tails might be interesting :p.

Another idea I had was to replace the horrible-looking Cold Ones on my chariots with a simple blister of Dire Wolves. Mean, fierce and fluffily hard to control. (I can hear the General shouting to the High Elves already: "No, they're not stupid! They're just stubborn!")

For my Highborn on Manticore, I will be using the Nightbringer model together with a pair of Giant Eagle wings. The reason for this is mainly based on my background story, with the Highborn being a "Champion of the Night" who magically transforms into a demi-god during battle, hence the Nightbringer model.

For the harpies, I will use another expensive but simple conversion involving Harpy Wings and Witch Elves. Far more attractive than the original Harpies and fluffed up as Succubi.
The Aspect of the Lurker in the Shadows

"Cheers, and all hail my new fluff god!" - Alith Anar
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

I really like your ideas...

Are you gonna take the 6th ed Harpy wings? They're not gonna be too simple to take off their bodies... 5th ed will go easier (but won't look that good).

As for the "new dragon ogre"... what?!? :shock: wher can I see it; i didn't know that! A new fig without the army book even released? I wanna see it!
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

By the way, definately go for two tails :)
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

To fit the fluff on my new list I am gonna have a chariot driven by daemonettes, pulled by 2 converted flesh hounds! :twisted:

I like your ideas lots. My harpies are gonna have tails.
Rylanar
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rylanar »

i like your idea for the manticore, but 4 the harpies i think it's better to use daemonettes with harpies wings....
Hide in the shadows awaiting defeat
or live by the Sword...and choose to be Free
Kennethloh
The Lurker in the Shadows

Post by Kennethloh »

Ah, Rylanar, why didn't I think of that before! Yup, you're right, they do look more harpy-ish. Oh well, I can still get that unit of Witch Elves for display's sake :D. The best of both worlds, hehehe... What more can a hot-blooded teenage male ask for? :p

My Chariots will have no wheels, instead, they will be mounted on the backs of 2 dire wolves... with another 2 dire wolves in front. Kinda like your average car... just replace wheels with wolves, haha. With 4 wolves to be controlled, it can't be a surprise these chariots are stupid :lol:
Earthwormjim
Warrior

Post by Earthwormjim »

with my hydra i was thinking of using kroot hound heads instead of the barnicle covered heads you get (necks of the hydra are pretty thin compared to the heads) also it would look more like the illustration in the army book.

for my harpies i use the chaos furies because they look like mini manticores so they fit in with my "beastmaster" theme, pluss their claws/talons are about 1000x better than the harpies'.
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Hydra/wyvern conversion

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I saw a great hydra conversion on the web where someone used the plastic body of the orc wyvern and attached hydra heads to it. It really looked awesome.

Unfortunately, I forgot where I saw it and can't find the pic anymore. If anyone out there could point the way, please let me know. I would like to do a similar conversion.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Elvenknight
Elf on the Altar with the Axe

Post by Elvenknight »

There is a nice pic at http://www.newwave.org/gw/eventscoverage/gtcanada051802/indext1.html Just scroll down a bit and there it is :)
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" untill you can find a big stick.

The Album is here for all your army photos - Album Moderator
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Tahnks - exactly what I was looking for!
Naram sin
Assassin

Post by Naram sin »

i like your idea for the manticore, but 4 the harpies i think it's better to use daemonettes with harpies wings....

Yes demonettes are fantastic - I am painting now 5th model of demonette/harpy everyone who saw them like them