How do you paint?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Mystic91b
Warrior

How do you paint?

Post by Mystic91b »

An interesting question I thought of when I was painting last night. I'm not looking for painting techniques here, but what I am asking is what do you guys do when you paint? Listen to music? have the tv running? stuff like that.
Welcome to MY Reality......
Naram sin
Assassin

Post by Naram sin »

Moustly dark room radio on or Winamp running. Sometime I am watching film on TV but do this only if you can concentrate on painting!!!!
Innocence proves nothing
Mystic91b
Warrior

Post by Mystic91b »

Myself, I usually paint in the living room, with a movie that I like but have seen before running on the tv, this way I can listen to it without having to watch the thing.
Welcome to MY Reality......
Elvenknight
Elf on the Altar with the Axe

Post by Elvenknight »

Sometimes I paint listening to music. Although I haven't been painting too much lately, need more models :)
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie!" untill you can find a big stick.

The Album is here for all your army photos - Album Moderator
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

I used to paint in my basement, but there it was too cold and the seat too high (or table too low) and my fingers were cold and my back sore. Now, I paint upstairs where its nice and warm and I have better acces to light and other things generated by electricity. Usually, I listen to music (usually the radio) and get lost in painting. This is very possible since, without my glasses, I'm pretty blind, and with the noise from the stereo, I cannot hear the outside world so all that's left is some nice sounds and the models (have the toughest time seeing which paints I'm about to use though :D ). Highly enjoyable.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Luxor moonprince
Executioner

Post by Luxor moonprince »

I paint in my sitting room. It's got great light and I usually have the TV running.

I get completely lost in the painting though so anything could be on!
Harkon
Warrior
Location: Warsaw, Poland...but frequently visiting uncle Malekith:)

Post by Harkon »

I paint much like Naram Sin, in a darkened room, listening to Brutal Death or Hardcore or sth like this, or when its summer i just sit in the garden doin' painting. :evil:
We are the predators of the night!
Cladenin blackcloak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cladenin blackcloak »

I paint in my basemend where my finges get cold an my back hurts because my :twisted: evil :twisted: parents won't let me paint anywhere else.
HELLO!!!!!!!
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

Depends on my mood and what I'm trying to paint. I usually paint in front of the TV late at night watching something stupid like "Night Visions" or "The Late Show with David Letterman" because I can listen without paying attention. Or I'll listen to music.

I'm usually in my room, on my bed sitting at my paitning table that is covered in modelling and painting crap.
Unseen
Warrior

Post by Unseen »

Well, i am a gamer who enjoys the hobby aspect of the game, yet at times (with a busy schedule) find myself bogged down knee-deep in unpainted models. So, My friends and I got an idea. The four of us decided to reduce the mundane part of painting (the painting of your basic two/three colors on your regiments) by setting up sort of an assembly line. I am by far the best painter in the group, but thier poor skills do not bother me. All we paint is like four or five models at a time as follows: I will take skin colour and dap on where needed, Brant takes orange and does parts i assign him too (the cloth on my warriors), he then passes it to Scott who paints on all the silver (the blades and such), and he finally passes it to Josh who paints the brown on (leather, boots). We each rotate jobs until a regiment is finished, then we move onto someone elses regiment (like orcs, or beastmen). This leaves each person to do his own touch ups at home, and do any special detailing he wants while ridding of all the slow and boring part of regiment painting. This WORKS, trust me, one time we spend about an hour painting, we completed 40 models, ready to be touched up.

if you dont like painting (which i actually enjoy it), i would definatly recommed this tactic. If you do like painting, i still recommend it because it leaves you to do all the touch up (to your supurior standard quality), and add in you minute and articulate deatils.
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

Put Braveheart in the background is my way of painting without disruption! I paint 2 models at a time to very detailed, 1 for special characters or regiments, the method is very slow but the results are astonishing!
Lord dalamar do'urden
Morathi's Champion

Post by Lord dalamar do'urden »

i usually paint in my kitchen with a bit of the ramones in the back ground to keep me company and to block out the sound of my kids !lol!
phil
Leithel and odd
My own worst enemy

Post by Leithel and odd »

You could just lock your kids in the basement, that'll keep their sound away from you. Or you could put them in the attic where the flowers are ;)
Nyat
Corsair
Location: In USA and that doesn't mean I support George's actions because I dont, I do love Bushisms though :P

Post by Nyat »

I dip a paint brush in paint and move it over models in a predetermined pattern :P :P :P :P

But seriously, I listen to my rock music or leave the T.V. on if theirs something good on (especially anime)
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=tn4h59x6

click if you feel like helping me in Kings of chaos or have nothing better to do
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

Depends... usually some music's on in the background, sometimes the telly, not that I'm paying attention to what's playing though... I regularly get comments from my girlfriend about what I'm 'watching'

Ond of course a lot of 'cigarette' breaks to calm down the nerves and get a steady hand...
Lord happyslave
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: Supporting for Kim Clijsters, world's best tennisplayster

Post by Lord happyslave »

Quasekomiki wrote:
Ond of course a lot of 'cigarette' breaks to calm down the nerves and get a steady hand...

Mmmh, "Roken kan de gezondheid ernstige schade toebrengen!"

Mmmh, "Tabacco can seriously damage health!"
Salvation will arrive

on the second of februari

The release of Halo 2
Lord Thalack
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Thalack »

I usually paint on my room while listening to some music or watching tv

Bye
Lord Thalack
Mordehel
Dark Rider

Post by Mordehel »

I paint in our study, usually listening to music at the same time...though it tends to distract me quite a bit if I do so ;) At the moment I'd love to be finishing up my army - but the blistering summer heat dries the paint off the brush before it touches the model :shock: ! Extreme frustation reigns.
Danceman
The Devil in Pale Moonlight

Post by Danceman »

good to live up here in the north then :P anyways i paint my room,living room,kitchen or wherever i can find peace and quiet... though i define "peace and quiet" as to listen to machine head, the hives, Hellacopters,korn and sometimes the LOTR soundtrack...
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Quasekomiki
Highborn

Post by Quasekomiki »

Happyslave wrote:Mmmh, "Tabacco can seriously damage health!"

Hey, you sound like my girlfriend...
You're right though... don't start with that shiz if you aren't hooked up to it...
If you must choose between two evils,
pick the one you've never tried before
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

not only can it will... smoking lower you bloodpreasure which also make it easier to get cold(duh) there´s alot of other shiz you dont want to know, just quit in time(i hope i did)
Unseen
Warrior

Post by Unseen »

man i love this place!
these are great testimonials for the younger viewers....
Danceman

Post by Danceman »

hey i gotta do my part! rather say that than sure you look cool now but a wrinkled little box later? nice to see you sharing how you feel... it wasnt meant for younger viewers, i f*cked up my voice and was generally feeling like crap and when i am finally loose from it and telling people to not start, does that make me a <you pick one>???
sure go ahead act "cool" and smoke but dont whine for an cancer operation when you throat or lungs are bye-bye... if not i feel sorry for you(almost anyways...) 8)
"Dying is for fools." - Charlie Sheen
Darkelfprincess
Shade

Post by Darkelfprincess »

i paint about 1 model per 15 minutes when i listen to music. i do it on my dnning room table. lots of light and the table and chair are perfect.
Mystic91b
Warrior

Post by Mystic91b »

Just thought I would put my two cents in on the smoking issue. I am a smoker in the process of quitting, and seriously, if there are any of you out there that are thinking of starting or just recently started, give it up. And for those that think quitting is easy, go find a former heroin addict that smokes and ask them which was harder quitting, heroin or nicotine.