My FW Keeper of Secrets

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

My FW Keeper of Secrets

Post by Ant »

As promised, the pics are up in the album.

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3246

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3247

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3248

I went for plenty of red and white rather than loads of pink. After reading the 1st issue of the druchii herald I decided to theme my cult to be from Ghrond, so they are very secretive, and use red, white and black more often than pink.

This is a great model and I really enjoyed painting it. It is very fragile though, the arms and spikes fell off so many time before I had it all glued together! I'll have to be extra careful when gaming using it!

All comments/ criticisms welcomed.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Raziel02

Post by Raziel02 »

I really want that model, it looks great. I dont now if i would personally have gone for that colour but your reasons do explain it. but the all the detail is there and looks great, how big is the model of have seem the forge world bloodthirster, if thats what its called, but that was huge but from what ive seen on the site this looks more reasonable.
Mornedhel
Cabal without a cause

Post by Mornedhel »

That´s pretty impressive. The skintone is a little too "realistic" for my taste, I would´ve gone for a more white colour, but that´s just a matter of taste.

Did you actually manage to fit that model onto a 50x50mm base?
It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
Haplo
Highborn

Post by Haplo »

Sweet.......

Must say it will be pretty hard to hide, despite the neutral colours :D
Mennorach
Beastmaster
Location: on the wrong side of a town in the middle of Finland

Post by Mennorach »

That's impresive...
What did you do to the keepers original base?
"If they're better at the game than you are, change the rules."
Lordsaradain
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lordsaradain »

Thats a NICE model and an awesome paintjob.
Is it an inquisitor model or where does it come from?
Click here to find out how to convert cooler and cheaper models!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
R-b
Trainee Warrior

Post by R-b »

wow that's really scarry, just like it should be. I agree that I would have chosen another colour but, it's awesome anyway =D great job mate!
bring in the british longbows to the warhammer world where great brittain does not exist and just like in our world they should be s5, range 85", armour piercing, multishooting, rank penetrating. ... .. . NOT!
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Thanks for all the replies, and the complements!

Size
She stands slightly taller than the old chaos dragon (and taller than the new giant too I think :D ). the base she is on is 50x50, so that should give you some idea.

The Base
Yes she is on a 50x50 base. I just cut a big bit of expanded polystyrene to size and cut a hole in it for the left foot and hey presto, one big rock for her to stand on! I decided on a desert theme for the base partly to match the TK army i'm repainting and partly because I've never seen a Druchii army on desert bases before.

The skintone
Yes, Slaanesh deamons traditionally have a lighter skintone than this. I was originally planning for it to be lighter too. But I had to try to get some pinkish colurs in somwhere and I couldn't have bright, garish pink because of the red in the clothes. I also get quite a bit of white from the spikes, and doing it darker allowed me to add extra highlights to biring the hors up to a white, making them look different while still blending in with the rest of the skin. Overall I think this colour adds depth to the model and helps draw the eye towards the face.

Those of you who said they'd use a different colour scheme, what would you have gone for? I had a lot off troble deciding, and it was even harder to after I'd decided on red as the main colour other than flesh. It made choosing colours for the claws etc very difficult to stay with the Slaaneshi theme, especially as I wanted to get in some pink too. i was constantly worried it would end up looking like a Khorne deamon.

@LordSaradain: It is a forgeworld model from forgeworld.co.uk

Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Ant!

I am truly pleased to FINALLY see it done (you even bear Bananaman to it!)

I'm sad to report that I'm not impressed with the model or the skin pallate. Too realistic, though you paintjob is of a high calibre.

I saw this painted on CMON first and I didn't even like that one all that much. I think that the model really deters from the otherwise excellent paintjob.

I like the pose and all man, and the other stuff looks good. Just hte skin I guess.

Fr0
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

Great Ant!

you've just gotta love the forgeworld model, except the price :( !
BTW was it a problem fitting her on a 50x50 mm base?
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

@ Fro, yeah, I don't like that one on CMON either (although the ppainting standard is better than mine). I think he usede too many colours making it look too busy, something I was determined not to do with mine. you really do have to think about the colurscheme a lot with this model.

@Lamekh, I had no problems at all fitting it onto a 50x50. She would have fitted withoutt the rock but I wanted to make it look less squashed on. You will notice the rock extends very sligtly longer than the base. (/having said that, I am good at getting things on small bases. I have built a unit of 20 grave guard before out of the OLD chaos warriors and they all ranked up, on 20x20 bases, WITH shields!)

Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Ant,
the overall look is nice but in the close ups I see that you have worked unclean. You should fill the gaps this can be seen on the horns and also a rough, no sanded area on the shoulder. You should use some blending technic instead of drybrushing. Especially the drybrushing makes the closer look very poor. You have done some very good job on the eyes so that I can see that you can do more and work better than the overall view show us.

The colour choice is personal tast, I think it looks a boring and could be more interessting.
If going with red I would do something into this direction:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/pics/pics8 ... b99d0a.jpg

Especially the large areas cry for freehands and some pattern which give this miniature more detail! The skin look very flat because there are no highlights and the shadows and deeper areas are dark greyish so it look like you have brushed the skin colour over the black primer.

A bit converting would also help to give this miniature a personal touch and change some parts of the miniature which aren´t as good made from Forgeworld in my eyes.

What would I do?

I would change pose to give here a much more sexy and provocative look. I would change the hair part completly and would sculpture a new one. I would add more details and jewelry and would change weapons. For reference I would use a normal keeper of secret or my own converted one:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/HTML-Da ... ecrets.htm

I would go away from a too fine miniature and would think about how to give here more mass or size her a bit to fit better in GW Miniautre range and that she fit´s to my first KoS.

Because of colour choice, I would perhaps do something into these directions:

http://www.farabi.it/immagini/coolminio ... netta4.jpg
http://www.squireswalk.fsnet.co.uk/ebay ... 0angle.jpg

Regards GeOrc
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

@GeOrc: Thanks for the really detailled reply man. I do agree with most of your observations.

The gaps on the horns and shoulder have been filled a bit. i got it looking great, then it kept on falling apart! This was the best my skill and more importantly, my patience could acheive.

My main painting technique consits of drybrushing more or less everything. I've tried blending and can never really get it to my satisfaction. Especially on large areas. I know its a poor reason, but it takes much longer using blending too! I know I'm not gonna win any prizes for it, but I think my current technique put me in the top 40 od percent at most tourneys I go to, which I'm happy with.

I agree wholeheatedly that freehands and coversions would improve the model. However, I'm not tht great at them, and I've never tried to change the pose of a resin model. I'm too scared to d this since I don't want to ruin an already great model. Having said that I might attemt a tatoo on the bare leg and/or arm at sme point in the future (after practicing on paper 300 or so times!).

I also agree with the hair. it is the only part of the model I don't like and is really annoying to paint too. Dunno what could have been done instead though. You'll have to do one of your own and show me!

The skin look very flat because there are no highlights and the shadows and deeper areas are dark greyish so it look like you have brushed the skin colour over the black primer.

Don't understand this comment though. I worked from a white undercoat and built up from dark flesh, so I don't see where you got grey from. Perhaps it was the photo (though I doubt it, my dad took it and he's an amazing photographer, much more likely something I've done!).

Langmann
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician
Malekith's Tastetester & Physician

Post by Langmann »

Hey Ant,

I like a lot. Actually the thing that amazed me the most was how close your skin-tone actually looks to being real - not many people can actually do that you should be proud. I like the realistic skin tone, as it reflects the kind of pure pale skin tone that our ancestors would have associated with dieties and it therefore has that eiry attractiveness yet human relationship.

One thing I might try is some brown ink on the reds to make it look more like a dyed red tanned leather. However I'm no great shakes of an artist so that's my only advice.

(Also if you get a chance to improve whatever that is on her right shoulder - looks like a green stuff attachment).
While running a million dollar company, singing at weddings, and his frequent jetting to Spain Elton Jon style, Dark Alliance found the time to stand on the doorstep of Games Workshop like Moses and the Pharoah and calmly state, "Let my people go."
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Hey Ant,

I love it, I really do! I think the colours work well together, and its been pulled off very well indeed. I wouldnt worry about the realism thing, as Langmann said, its a very difficult thing to achieve.

A great job for sure...is that a Venom Sword she is wielding? ;) btw, what is it with you are that item!!

Fitting it on a 50mm base is pretty easy, as I found when I did my mates. Maybe Ill end up painting it for him.

This makes me love the model even more, and i may, just may get one myself.

Im looking forward to the rest of the army now....

Chris
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Cervantes3773
Cold One Knight

Post by Cervantes3773 »

Good job, the skin looks great, I like the eyes as well. If you have a macro function on your camera, do you think we could get a close up of them?

I agree that you should maybe go for a tattoo somewhere... while the skin tone is great, there is a lot of naked flesh on the model waiting for a little something extra.

I'm not the biggest fan of the red right now. Not because of the colorscheme, but more how it turned out... I'm not sure if its too dark to me or what... though a few more pics in different light might clear that up.

I can't wait to see more pics.
¡Viva la revolución!
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Wow GeOrc, thats funny, I came across your KoS on CMON and was reminded of the thead you had on TWF.

Your stuff is completely amazing sir.

Overall though Ant, don't get me the wrong way you did a great job on the painting, I just don't like the skin.

As Chris said, I'd also like to see more of your legion.

Fr0
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

Fr0 wrote:As Chris said, I'd also like to see more of your legion.

Tis a Cult of Slaanesh Fr0 - pay attention

/slap

One thing i forgot to mention before was how amazingly well done the photos are Ant, kudos to your Dad!
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Yay! more people who like realistic skin! *does a little dance*

The rest of the army may take some time. Gamezone cold ones are gonna need a fair bit of gap filling, and I've not bought the rest yet, let alone started converting it!

@Cervantes, wierrd you say the red is too dark. I thought if anything it would be to bright! Think I'll have trouble convincing my Dad to take more photos of the thing, and you've already got a closeup of the head. Don't be greedy :D .

@Xizor: She thinks it's a venom sword. I'd pay the points for one if I'm allowed. I love that item. I ony found out the rules for it a few days ago, and I think it is amazing. Not useless at all! Yes, I am mad.
p.s. My Dad says thanks! :D

Cervantes3773
Cold One Knight

Post by Cervantes3773 »

Maybe too dark is the wrong description... it just looks off somehow... Then again after working for 11 hours, things happen to your eyes...

And it's a shame we live on opposite sides of The Pond, I'm something of a camera fanatic. It's only a matter of time (and courage) before I post pics of my own models.
¡Viva la revolución!
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Xizor wrote:Tis a Cult of Slaanesh Fr0 - pay attention
/slap

wtf.. I didn't see that is was CoS anywhere.. I just assumed and figured mise post....

Fr0

*Edit* Insert one of these for you Chris. ;)
Last edited by Fr0 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bananaman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Bananaman »

Liking it!

Makes me want to paint mine, though I will have to finish assembling her first.

Gotta love a Kipper!