How too make Snow on Bases

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Nikolaj m v
Trainee Warrior

How too make Snow on Bases

Post by Nikolaj m v »

well, ive been working on my army for a few weeks now and it starts looking good, and soon its time too make the terrain, both for my bases and for the playing terrain, i need SNOW! how do i make snow that look's realistic and aint too hard too make?

Please help

Much too apriciate

Nikolaj
Draknir
Dark Artist

Post by Draknir »

If you can, purchase some modelling snow from GW, it has yielded some impressive results when I have used it, although it needs a couple of layers to look real.

I don't know any other ideas, though I have heard of wood glue mixed with something to make it look like snow... I'll find something.

EDIT: Read this: http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer/ ... owbases/1/
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Best way I have found, as a man who has a snow based Druchii army is to mix Baking Soda with water and PVA. Its damned cheap, the texture is ace and it just loooks fab. For sxtra goodness paint the area beneath the snow white and apply multiple thick layers.

The problem with the GW snow is its a complete rip off and looks worse then the baking soda mix.

Tust me. Its so easy to do. Just go raid the kitchen cupboards and find baking soda.
Pleased to be back
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

I do was Ras just suggested the only thing I would add in if to do a light spray of matte varnish, as some of these will not be nice and hold.

An article can be found on coolminiornot.com
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/323

Not sure if this is in the article but I usually let my bases dry around 24 hours before putting the model on the base(due to the matte keeping the "snow" from drying all the way through as quickly) I have had models sink in the snow before... it is not fun.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Nikolaj m v
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nikolaj m v »

Thanks alot for the replys, thanks alot!

i live in Denmark and im interested what is Bicarbonate of soda,
were should i be able too buy it?

Much too apriciate, i think i will use that guide you gave me a link too Crazyhorse, my men is on Bases but i will take a knife and cut them free, shouldent be a real big problem. ;) ;)
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

You may know it as baking soda, got mine in the local grocery store. Hope that helps.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.
Nikolaj m v
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nikolaj m v »

well i cant do anything els then start searching, thanks alot :)
Nikolaj m v
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nikolaj m v »

ok gotcha, on danish its "Natron" used for baking, for some my self even, and i got the glue, but now i got a new question, can i make grass and stone (that looks realistic ) my self or?
Crazyhorse
Highborn

Post by Crazyhorse »

Small gravel works for the "real" look ;). Grass, well static looks ok, I have never found better than it(not that I have looked).
Nikolaj m v
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nikolaj m v »

Super, im just tryieng too make it look the best and still be the """cheapest""" :D
Dark35
Slave on the Altar

Post by Dark35 »

Bicarbonate of soda, as it was said higher up, is great, mixed to PVA glue, or not. It can be found at the chemists or in a store.
Green stuff, shaped and painted white is also quite good.