Easter project

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
_maelstrom_
Shade

Easter project

Post by _maelstrom_ »

Hi all im new here, but ive been keepin an eye on these forums for a while.

Anyhow ive been out of the hobby for about 4 years, i havent played during this time but have continued to paint and model. I've decided to get back involved ready for the nemesis crown in the summer, so for something to do over the easter hols i brought a high elf hero and am in the process of converting it into a noble.

here:
http://www.druchii.net/album_personal.php?user_id=12833

C&C welcome, thanks.
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I like it. You know what you're doing with green stuff, which goes a long way to making a good model.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Vanderghast
The Dark Scribe
Location: Sitting before a pile of scrolls, books and countless unfinished tales and poems

Post by Vanderghast »

I also would be interested to see the finished product. Did you use a small scuplting tool to model the green stuff, or your hands?
And the Angels of Lucifer descended on the world
The dead rose from slumber
And Darkness was Lord
_maelstrom_
Shade

Post by _maelstrom_ »

The only tools that i have used are the standard GW sculpting tool and the edge of a craft knife to straighten edges.
When i was making the chain mail i tried using a pin but found that it didnt really leave much of an effect so i ended up using a spare scything talon from a tyranid model and this gave good results.

i'll post another picture up soon im working on the helmet today, as i finished the lining of the chain mail and the detail on the shoulder pads last night. Im trying to get the armour to look similar to that worn by the executioners.

thanks
Garluch
Beastmaster

Post by Garluch »

Cool, almost all Highelve goes Darkelve are only painted, but you removed the "classical" scalemail that Asure have and made ringmail that druchii uses.
Keep up the good work! :D
_maelstrom_
Shade

Post by _maelstrom_ »

Just a quick update ive done some work on the helmet today:

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=3690&sid=b4f920683d40b69a4d82f5be11909219

im not to convinced on the helmet myself yet, may change it. Ill put some brighter pictures up later.

C&C welcome

thanks
_maelstrom_
Shade

Post by _maelstrom_ »

Hello all, well ive finally finished my project and im pleased with the results i changed the helmet but still aint sure about it. have a look:

I decided to keep the high elf sword as it looks unique and will represent a magic weapon. ive still got to add a shield to it which i may sculpt a face on so as it could be used as the shield of ghrond. The last finishing touch i may add are some flesh hooks/runes hanging off the belts to cover some of the gem stones.

more pics:
Here

C&C welcome

thanks.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Pretty good.

There is a technique to modeling chainmail where you work in rows, and as you poke the greenstuff with your tool, you pull it very slightly to one side. It looks better than just poking the greenstuff. Also, if each rom is slightly offset from the one before it, it looks better than just a straight grid.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

Agree with Dyvim Tvar about chain mail. I had the same problem and fixed it with this technique 8)

Very good work, just need to "Druchiize" more the hilt of the sword. It still look too High elf for my taste, but could be just me...
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Rasputinii
M-A-D

Post by Rasputinii »

Its very nice. The chainmail could be better (alla Dvyim's post), but it still looks very neat and the model has a very Druchii feel. The only critique I have is the blade. Its about as Druchii as a night dress. Given the Exce feel you have gone for I think its a shame you didn't use the Exce champ's draich as the sword and alter the angle so the model has it pointing forward, continuing the line of the arm. Otherwise its a nice job, and your GS work is very smooth and effective. The helmet and stomach piece in particular.

Edit: You may want to file off some of those jewels. They aren't very druchii at all. Especially the helmet one. Similarly if you have the time it might be worth changing th hanging Gems to Flesh-hooks. I know its alot of work, but with these things its all about the attention to detail. That said if you like jewels. I actually add them to my Dark Elves, cos I have a slightly light slaaneshi feel to mine, and I like jewels....
Pleased to be back
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

I love it.But you could curve the sword i think it would be
more Druchii then.The chanmail is great.I agree with
RasputinII: fil away those jewels but if you like them let them
be there.
_maelstrom_
Shade

Post by _maelstrom_ »

Hello, Thanks for the feedback;

@RasputinII,Dyvim Tvar,Bassman76
I did try using the chainmail technique that you guys have mentioned but it didnt really seem to cause much of a difference, but i will try using it again in future projects.

@RasputinII,
I am in the process of replacing some of the gems with flesh hooks but i think i will keep a few of them hanging from the belt to represent trophies or something (captured high elf souls or something like that)

The helmet gave me the most grief i changed it a few times and im still not to sure on it, i had orginally left the gem stone on it in case i decided to equip him with a taliman and just say that it represented it, but i may now remove it.

@Sedro,RasputinII,Bassman76
I agree with you about the sword it just doesnt fit in with the rest of the image i may make a plastic Draich like the ones in the plastic executioners topic, i think that will look better and it could be used to represent most magic items.

the last thing to do is to sculpt a daemonic face on the shield so as i can use it as the shield of ghrond if i have to.

Thanks again for all the feed back, when the last bits are done then i will update the post with the final images.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Forgot to say in my critique of the chainmail that the breastplate and pauldrons (shoulder pieces) look excellent.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

i may make a plastic Draich like the ones in the plastic executioners topic

some one is inspired by my stuff..... this repay my efforts 8)
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net