what color are your druchii?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Eqaddictedfool
Corsair

what color are your druchii?

Post by Eqaddictedfool »

So when i first chose my warhammer army I knew nothing of background I had no idea where they came from. So when i painted them i painted them blue? Has anyone else joined me in blue dark elves?
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

Many people use blues in their colour schemes. It really depends on what shade of blue, how you work it and what the rest of you scheme is. I have used black armour with midnight blue to good effect before. For my orcs of late I currently use regal and ice blue, which give a much different look. Perhaps some more detail or pic if possible are in order.
Eqaddictedfool
Corsair

Post by Eqaddictedfool »

Well when i said i used blue i meant the skin color is blue. The thought of white dark elves disgusts me. But i used the gw scheme from the book the purple khietens and silver armor. i only used black for my dark riders which i used high elf silver helms for and used druchii warrior heads and spears instead of lances and coneheads. I find the purple khietens look really sharp and it seems to work well with my tyranid 40k army as well.
Overmind
Beastmaster

Post by Overmind »

I believe a picture would be nice....

Blue skin seems radical but if it works......
Les yuex sans le vie
Les magots ont infesté cadaver
Montagne du crane
Quelque du chose mon favorite.....
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

I'm one for rather... unique colour schemes. Here are my Druchii, red and blue!
(all my witches are going to have that blue/turquoise colour)
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=53352&highlight=

Seriously though, their models, YOUR MODELS to be specific, you can paint 'em what ever you want. I once made a shiny pink space marine army with pink bunny logos cause I thought it would be funny (and to try and entice my girlfriend to play).
It's also fun to come up with fluff for your paint scheme. Example-my ogres all have dark red skin because it's a ritual to bath in their victems blood after battle, generations of this has tainted their skin blood red.

sorry, kinda long winded... :oops:

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Overmind
Beastmaster

Post by Overmind »

I'm not saying it's wrong I just want a picture.
Les yuex sans le vie
Montagne du crane
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Here's a more direct link to my sorceress
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ ... G_0041.jpg

Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Sigur
Black Guard

Post by Sigur »

I prefer white-skinned druchii. Blue/grey/whatever other skin colour just isn't Warhammer. Druchii don't have anything in common with Drow, Night Elves or what other weird sources people might have for their interpretations of Dark Elves. I'll happily agree that Drow have da weird and darker skin colour, sure, but this is Warhammer; and entirely different setting and people should adapt.
Battle Brush Studios - Professional Miniature Painting and Modelling

Also look me up on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (battle.brush.studios)!
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Kefka »

Sorry, but I disagree completely Sigur. As I stated, models are meant to be built and painted however the user wants. people should have to "adapt" to painting this sort of thing. you might as well tell all the lizardmen players that their lizzies have to have blue scales, then armies would lose originality and flavor.

Melinia
Executioner

Post by Melinia »

Blue isn't my color - at least not for skin tones.

I do like the jet black that the Drow were originally in AD&D (they seem to be more of a very dark grey now; in the old modules 'Descent into the Depths of the Earth' and 'The Vault of the Drow', the only non-black coloring on them were the portions that would be highlighted on a miniature), but I don't think it would work well as a skin tone for a miniatures army (and even if it were possible, I don't think my skill would be enough to do it justice).

There's a nice looking heavily converted dark elf army on GW's website that's painted up with a dark grey skin tone.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warh ... efault.htm

But my own army uses a more standard flesh-tone scheme, and I have no issues with it.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I paint my Druchii skins black, yes it's based on Drow, but they are still Druchii to me, no spider worshipping. I have a story made up for my army which makes them fit into the warhammer world, as well as makes them able to hide well enough not to be discovered by other dark elves (they are mostly Slaanesh worshippers), and gives me a better reason to fight Druchii vs. Druchii battles ;) M<y army being generally outlaw with Slaaneshi worshipping and male sorcerers in it.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

I originally wanted my Druchii force to be ghostley grey skin tones with wild hair colors. (I had Scab Read, Scorpion Green and Regal Blue Hair on my first 3 test witch elves.

I was going with a scab red and black color scheme with gold metals. Then My ex-wife got interested and she painted them all the plain old boring colors from the book. Now I don't have the time to repaint them all so i am stuck with Elf Flesh skin, black Hair and purple and black armors with Silver metals. The only thing I got my way on wa sbestial brown for spear cshafts and rxb bodies.

Sadly she started my Dwarfs too and they are now all Green clothed.
Hateshighelves
Beastmaster

Post by Hateshighelves »

For my witch elves, I painted them in as many skin tones as I could, from pale to dark, using GW's bleached bone, elf flesh, bronzed flesh (?), dark flesh and scorched brown. I also included, blondes, redheads and brunettes. I like the variety that I achieved, each model looks an individual.
Did I tell you that I hate high elves?
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

Forgot to mention my Ongoing rant against GW for dropping Pallid Flesh form their skin tone selection. It was th eperfect amount of Pink... It was super pale... looked like White people who never see the sun pale flesh tone. Now theres that yellowe dout elf flesh... gr.. I can't seem to get a proper mix with skull white, scab red and elf flesh to duplicate pallid flesh.
Krupp
Executioner

Post by Krupp »

I find painting skin difficult, so I go with dwarf flesh with a light wash mix of dwarf and elf flesh over top. Leaves skin looking fairly tanned but looks good. I use enchanted blue with a wash of purple and regal blue as my army's primary color sceme.
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

I just cheap it out on skin... Elf Flesh with flesh wash ink to seep into the cracks. Gets the job done fast
Eqaddictedfool
Corsair

Post by Eqaddictedfool »

my main point of reference is everquest. i put over 5000 hours into that game. A blue dark elf just seems natural to me now. It makes the model look that much more sinister.
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

Frickin Inkies....
Sv_harlequin
Assassin

Post by Sv_harlequin »

Front cover of our Army book colour, sort of metalic purple blue with green cloth.
Mal: Sure. It would be humiliating. Having to lie there while the better man refuses to spill your blood. Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right.
Obsidianichor
Cold One Knight

Post by Obsidianichor »

For skin, very pale...I use black as the undercoat, then a couple layers elf flesh and then a 50/50 mix Elf Flesh and Skull White for highlight....I even bought an empty pot for the mix!

For color scheme, mine is black and red
-ObsidianIchor

Armies:
Druchii: 4000+
DIY Marines: 4000+
Tyranids: 6000+
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

eqaddictedfool wrote:Well when i said i used blue i meant the skin color is blue.

LOL! OK well thats a different story. For Elf flesh I personally hate Drow skin, but thats just personal and many people use it. I used eldf flesh as base for my skin. Will be renewing my elves with the new book so depends then if I use a new colour.
Overmind
Beastmaster

Post by Overmind »

I'll stick pale and white.

Just my thing.
Les yuex sans le vie
Montagne du crane
Angelique
Executioner

Post by Angelique »

I really find the blue skin rather weird. I mean, there isn't much reason for DE to have blue skin (I quite like the fluff, so I try to stick to the details). A paler skin than other elves is normal, it just differs with where they live. But blue?

In the end, it's your army, and it sure is original :).
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

I use red and green for base colours of my army, and skin i paint darker, more humanlike skin, but pale still.

Fluff is big literal part of hobby, but painting is art and i dont mind if you dont follow the fluff directly, art is art and NO-one is not going to push you around about it :twisted: , its your decision which colours you use. there isnt a "wrong way" to paint miniatures, and you should not give a frig about anyone who says that your way is wrong!
But if you are not satisfied with your painting, you can ask or help and get ideas from other fellow painters, or try to study a little painting theory, it also works in painting minis :D. Like i use red and green because they are completely ondifferent sides of colourwheel, and best coulurs to make striking contrast, believe me, it looks cool :P
if you dont figure out how to get it right, and dont bother to study theory (or just understand it), then just take some time to think. and remember, this is just a hobby, and it should be made for fun :)
Mnesthius
Beastmaster

Post by Mnesthius »

my druchii have blue / black robes, with blue-silver armour
paints i primarily use are midnight blue, enchanted blue, snakebite leather, bronzed flesh and bleached bone

my guys are the remenants of a division of pretend asur created to start the war of the beard, so my corsair banner has a bone colored dragon on it (a twist of the lothern sea guards)

i think blue skin is pretty awesome... im too conformist to do that but they look pretty cool

PS. this is my army: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=52796
ImageImage