Fiend of Slaanesh and CoB Conversions

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Fiend of Slaanesh and CoB Conversions

Post by Lonely shade »

I am new to Druchii.net (as you can see from my ranking) but have heard good things about it and figured I would ask you guys. IMHO the new war hydra is infinitely better than the old one, and on its own it is a great model as well. While this is contrary to what many others think, I intend to get my hands on one as soon as I can. This however, isn't the problem.

I was recently digging through my bitz box and noticed i had a full unassembled hydra. I am the type of player that loves putting hours into conversions and I came up with the idea of assembling the hydra body but shortening it and then buying some of the new daemonettes to substitute for the head slots (it would be a fiend of slaanesh for my CoS army).

a) anyone like this idea?

b) anyone have conversion ideas for the 5 heads and necks I have lying around (I suppose I could save them for another time but I would rather not)?

Thanks guys,
Lonely

Changed topic title at Lonely Shade's request. - Damnation.
Izirath
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Izirath »

Cult of Slaanesh will not make it to the new book.
Nagathi wrote:Fighting fair is for High Elves.
~ Nag
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Which doesn't mean you cannot use it for friendly games, anymore, though. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Survivor
Shade

Post by Survivor »

Greetings Lonely Shade and welcome.

I think your idea for the Hydra heads is a great one, I wish I had thought of it myself!
Don`t worry too much about the COS army list not being `legal` anymore. As Thanee said you can play with it to your hearts content in friendly battles. I will certainly not be giving up on mine.

Very good luck to you with your conversion.
It is time...
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Should be legal for official tournaments as well, as GW allows all conversions using GW parts, and the demonettes heads will not alter the WYSIWYG character of the converted hydra.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Thanks guys, and I was aware that CoS probably won't be legal but quite frankly I don't really care, I will use it for friendlies (once again, as you guys already metioned).

Anyone have ideas for my spare necks and heads?

EDIT:

Truth be told, this isn't really an edit, more another conversion I have in mind that I want opinions on. I was just reading through an old thread and noticed the talk of converting the cauldron of blood to make it moveable, as that seems to be the direction GW wants to take with the model. The first thing I envisioned was a mutated ogre/s pulling the CoB to battle (partly because I have a thing for ogres [not a sexual one...], partly because I have some extra models I have been meaning to use, and partly because they mentioned ogres lifting the cauldron and I went "OOOOOOH good idea!"). So my thoughts were of one or two ogres with hydra necks and head coming out of their bodies pulling the cauldrons by the stumps that used to be their arms (i would cut off the hands at the wrist and sculp some sort of metal covering over-top of the stump that would attach to the chains.

Opinions anyone?

Also, anybody know where to get some good chain/s that I could use for conversion in Richmond/Vancouver (British Columbia, Canada)?
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Just so you guys know, I did consider using a whole bunch of flagellants in place of the ogre/s but I figured that Druchii would want the cauldron moved with as little slave sacrifice as possible, so that they could sell as many slaves as possible (and therefore make the most money). To fit that notion, I figured that ogre slaves would be the strongest so they would be the ones to do the heavy lifting (/dragging?).
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I think the CoB offers countless opportunities and so you should just go with whatever takes your fancy.
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

This maybe just me, but it might by funny to just have one or two flagolants pulling it with the hag holing a branding iron to goad them.

As forthe ogers, having them pulling on some good size chaines (see what you can finde at an arts and craft store.)
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

I just want to lay out my visualization of this conversion so you guys have a solid idea.

'Two ogres with blinding cloths covering their empty eye sockets slowing trudge across the battleground. Their arms are bronze-covered stumped with chains attached to the bronze, connecting them to the cauldron. Both have spent many years transporting this particular cauldron, and as such have large red wear lines across their backs. They have also been mutated by the pure energy that radiates from the cauldron. They have grown hydra heads that spring from their backs and shoulders. Suddenly they stop, the hydra heads detecting the scent of a nearby animal corpse.

"Keep moving, slaves!" the hag screams shrilly, "otherwise its no rotten meat for dinner!"

Responding to the threat of no food, and fearing the wrath of the Hag Queen that brands them after every mistake they make, they quickly resume their pace.'

I will probably only include one hydra deformation to each of the ogres, or perhaps two if I only use one.

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I ahven't got much to add to this idea just yet, but at the very least your hag must swap her sword for a brand. You know that plastic flagellant with the flaming head? Cut the top of it off so you have just a bucket-o-fire, put it under the Cauldron (it's not gazpacho in there now, is it?). Have your Hag standing there holding the brand over the flame. Try to give the brand a really distinctive pattern, likesay use the top of a Witch Elf standard, and greenstuff loads of very similar scars on your ogre's backs. I find it hard to agree with the Hydra heads for the thing, I don't see the power of the Cauldron as a mutating force.

Oh, and paint the brand really bright orange, fading thru red to the black of the handle.

Anyways, good luck with your projects.

*postoplasty, what some would call an edit* You could use your hydra heads for a water terrain piece. Just a lake with a hydra in.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Arcturus
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Arcturus »

Arnold Layne wrote:*postoplasty, what some would call an edit*

Some would even go as far as spell it correctly and call it Posthioplasty. :mrgreen:

@Lonely shade
I would think that deamonettes would look a bit weird, even for a spawn, on the front of a hydra. It does come down to what kind of vision you have and your conversion skills, I can see it working in some sense as well. Get at it. :)

Cheers
---Tragic legend, Eerie stratum---
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Arcturus : mil milon basta, got me again, I never knew!

Lonely : Probably best if you use entire torsos, or what about some Daemonette mount heads?
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Shadowd1
Cold One Knight

Post by Shadowd1 »

thats a good idia loanly shade but how about hydralings pulling the cob

I would suggest bloodletter heads the new ones or mabye even bloodcrushers hmmmmmmmm the possibiltys are endless

Check your punctuation, shadowd1. And your Private Message inbox. - Damnation, P&M Mod.
Stab stab stabidy stab
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

@ arnold:

Definitely didn't think of using the mount heads, that is definitely a possibility. How many come in a blister? If it's one per blister, I will try to get some off ebay. I din't mean like "mutating force", moreso that the energy within the cauldron is so incredibly powerful that when it comes near models, they are warped from the raw energy. However, the dark elves have mastered how to siphon that raw energy and use it to give themselves super strength (killing blow), super speed (+1 attack), or a magical barrier (5+ ward). And I like the brand idea. I may not be talented enough to pull it off, but I will try. My main focus is the envisioning and converting.

I was planning to use the entire torso of the daemonettes and cut them off at the legs.

@ shadowd1:

What exactly do you mean by hydralings?

Don't think I will use bloodletter of bloodcrusher heads as this is meant to be a fiend of SLAANESH, therefore dedicated to the chaos god SLAANESH, and khorne heads just wouldn't fit.
Last edited by Lonely shade on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Oh, I forgot. @ arcturus:

I will work on them, but I am thin spread right now between my work, painting, and warhammer (my current project is a rhinox rider, I am throwing these ideas out to get a better sense of what I will do on my next two projects, which are these). Hopefully I will finish the rhinox rider soon. Also, anyone know how to post pictures here, I tried and have absolutely no clue how...

- Lonely

EDIT:

I have been thinking about the brand, but if I incorporate that I need to change the actual cauldron design. I was originally planning to use Scragg the Slaughterer's cauldron because it fits my image of the cauldron (and it's bigger than the new and old Dark Elf ones, which are too small for my liking). I would probably be able to solve the problem of placing the fire under the cauldron if it was on a large board or something...but them everyone would say "Why didn't you just add wheels?"

So:

Solution a: Place the cauldron on top of some sort of board so that a fire can be beneath it. I would have to do significant puttying and make it more similar to a larger version of the old DE CoB, which has the potential to look better (anyone with pics of the old cauldron, a series of them covering 360 degrees would be much appreciated).

Solution b: Put it on a chariot (which would be much more practical but not as fun).

Solution c: Open to others ides!

Suggestions anybody?

- Lonely
Last edited by Lonely shade on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riker666
Executioner

Post by Riker666 »

Put it on a hydra. Or moved by a dazillion of chained harpies
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

The hydra is an interesting option, but I would have to use the old hydra as the new one has the necks set father back. I would rather not like to use the old hydra, as I would have to putty it considerably or be very unhappy with it.

I can't say I like the harpies idea, it just doesn't fit with my conception of harpies. I picture them as living female gargoyles that are really hungry and really pissed off all the time, which makes chaining them up a bad idea. I will draw some concept sketches to see if I like it however. I'm all about giving ideas a chance.

Anyone else have suggestions?

- Lonely
Last edited by Lonely shade on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Lonely,

Welcome. Its not your post ranking that lets people know you are new its your join date on the forum. ;)

I think you will find with the platic ogres that modelling them to be pulling the cauldron will be much easier than modelling them to carry the cauldron. If you can get the 5th ed cauldron with wheels it becomes even easier for you.

I like the idead of using the daemonette heads to make a spawn. I intend to keep playing my CoS army as well.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Arg I know it betrays me every time! but hey, 177 in 16 days ain't that bad! :D

I almost definitely intend to model them dragging it (if not only so I don't have to putty their entire arms). I was looking to obtain one of those 5th ed. ones, but damn are they ever hard to find. If anyone finds one/has one for sale, please tell me!! My only problem with it was the cart that pulls it, I don't find it Druchii enough, so if I use the 5th ed. model I have to find a way to fix that.

One of the reasons I was considering having the ogres carry it on a board of some sorts is that it would allow me to use Scragg's cauldron which I quite like. I would raise it over the fire using some sort of wire that would look realistic (so I could use the brand), and I would putty on some Druchii symbols to make it feel at home.

I'm glad you like my Fiend idea, I'm just beginning to assemble the hydra body right now.

- Lonely
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Ok people, finished building the hydra body, will add on the daemonettes before I leave for camping, and will putty them so that they blend in once I return. I have a question for people though: Do you think I should putty the feet and make them more Slaaneshi, or do you think I should leave them be? If you think I should putty them, how do you think I could make them more Slaaneshi (I have no idea how to...)?

And for my CoB, I am now seriously considering having ogres lift it. It would be a lot of puttying, but it would help me improve on my anatomy sculpting. Plus, it would look really awesome. So, what so you guys think?

- Lonely
Khar'tan
Slave on the Altar

Post by Khar'tan »

Though this probly doesnt help too much the local store by my house has one of the old COB for sale, but were all the way in the southern U.S.. I'll try to get some pictures of it for you though, if your still needing the 360 view
Death the the false Phoenix
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Do you mean Ogres actually carrying the thing, like on a huge litter or palanquin? Cos if you mean that, I say you win.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

@ khar'tan:

That would be very helpful, I am still looking for some photos. Much thanks if you are able to get some, and much thanks regardless!

@ layne:

Yes. Wanna help me sculpt it?

- Lonely
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Damn, looks like nobody posted while I was away camping with my friends. Ok, well I am just going to reiterate my two developed ideas for the cauldron so people don't have to read from the top. Here it goes:

Idea A) Two ogres with hydra mutations (hydra heads) sprouting from their shoulder/back regions, known as the "arm-chest" by a particular someone I know). They are pulling the cauldron, which is either being dragged across the ground or is mounted on some sort of cart. If it is dragged, I will put drag marks on the land behind it. If it is on a cart, I will put a fire underneath the cauldron and give the hag a branding iron. The ogres have multiple brands on their backs that match the iron that the hag is holding. The twist is that the ogres aren't pulling the cauldron by their hands, they lost those some years ago. Instead they are pulling it by giant chains attached to shackels over the area where their hands should be. An alternative would be to have the chains hooked into the flesh of the ogres' backs, typical Druchii cruelty.

Idea B) Two ogres are lifting the cauldron on a giant board or platform above their heads. The cauldron has a fire under it and the hag has her branding iron. The ogres have the brand marks. They aren't mutated (too much of a hassle to paint the hydra parts in that position).

I also have a new third idea I developed in my head while camping.

Idea C) A giant monster similar to the 40k Eldar Avatar of Khaine model is either dragging the cauldron on the ground or swinging the cauldron like a morning star.

Opinionations people?

- Lonely